March 15th

It's time for the GOP to listen to what people are saying when they vote for Trump. People are sick of the status quo and establishment

a higher percentage of voters are sick of the child-like bs the republican candidates are dishing out than the minority of Trump kissers.

sick of works two ways.

Just you whiny democrats, focus on your party's woes and trust they have them
The Republican party isn't obligated to nominate him if he wins. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the election to Hillary to ensure the safety of the status quo.

If he gets enough delegates, then they are obligated to nominate him.

They could sabotage him to throw it to Hillary, but he'll be on the Republican line in November if he hits the magic number. But it's never over till it's over.

I think GOP plan to somehow attempt to prevent The Donald from getting just enough delegates, he'll get most, but I think aim is to stop him getting across finish line....this way they can force Brokered Convention.

I think if they do this, it'll make the people ie. those who voted for The Donald very angry.

There is no such thing as "the GOP plan". The GOP is a large organization, with many conflicting "plans".

sheeeesh-------my fave conspiracy theory------down the drain

They're not "bound by Democracy", but they are bound by their own rules.

Their rules don't say they're obligated to nominate the candidate that won the most delegates. They can decide not to, and they might.

Actually, their rules do say that they are obligated to nominate any candidate with 50% +1 of the total delegates - in fact, according to their rules, that's the only way a candidate can be nominated by the party.

It's time for the GOP to listen to what people are saying when they vote for Trump. People are sick of the status quo and establishment

a higher percentage of voters are sick of the child-like bs the republican candidates are dishing out than the minority of Trump kissers.

sick of works two ways.

Just you whiny democrats, focus on your party's woes and trust they have them

apparently you didn't watch the people from the audience after the debate and their dislike of all the whining the children did.

thats ok, losers lose and are used to it.

Their rules don't say they're obligated to nominate the candidate that won the most delegates. They can decide not to, and they might.

yes------such is my understanding------uhm-----left over from school---LONG LONG
AGO---------it still works that way?

Nope.

when it come to the-----electoral college count-----PERSONS CANNOT HAVE A CHANGE OF MIND AT THE LAST MINUTE? -----some how I (indistinctly) recall
some such historic event

yes------such is my understanding------uhm-----left over from school---LONG LONG

Nope.

when it come to the-----electoral college count-----PERSONS CANNOT HAVE A CHANGE OF MIND AT THE LAST MINUTE? -----some how I (indistinctly) recall
some such historic event

The "electoral college" has nothing to do with the primaries.

If your referring to pledged delegates (delegates won in primaries) at the convention, they are obligated to vote for the candidate they are pledged to in the first round of voting. If any candidate has 50% +1 votes in the first round, they will be the nominee. If not, it's called a "brokered convention", and pledged delegates are then freed to vote for whoever they want.

It's not some long ago rule. If he has 1276, he's the nominee. If not,
The last time a Republican front runner failed to secure enough delegates to walk into a convention as the presumptive nominee was in 1976. Gerald Ford, who assumed the presidency after Richard Nixon resigned, was in a heated race with former California Gov. Ronald Reagan, but just couldn't close the deal.

Going into the '76 convention in Kansas City, Ford had already won more delegates and had won more of the popular vote than Reagan, but did not have the necessary delegates to win the nomination outright.

So Reagan, the Hollywood conservative who had been billing himself as the "Washington outsider," launched an aggressive move during the first days of the convention to convince unpledged delegates to vote for him and committed delegates to switch allegiances. He attacked Ford on his tempered moves with the then-Soviet Union, and painted his policy of détente as a sign of weakness.

But Ford, the former vice president, member of Congress from Michigan and consummate party insider used his strong party connections to beat back a floor fight and win the nomination with 1,187 delegates (53%) to 1,070 (47%) for Reagan.

Ford later gave Reagan the last speaking slot at the convention, and during his remarks, the former actor clearly out-shined the nominee with a famous speech that positioned him well to get the nomination four years later.

Un-conventional wisdom: Why a brokered convention probably won't happen - CNNPolitics.com

The "change" is that in 76, both Reagan and Ford's names were somehow placed in nomination, and then the delegates voted. I don't believe it works that way anymore.

The Republican party isn't obligated to nominate him if he wins. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the election to Hillary to ensure the safety of the status quo.

They could sabotage him to throw it to Hillary, but he'll be on the Republican line in November if he hits the magic number. But it's never over till it's over.

I think GOP plan to somehow attempt to prevent The Donald from getting just enough delegates, he'll get most, but I think aim is to stop him getting across finish line....this way they can force Brokered Convention.

I think if they do this, it'll make the people ie. those who voted for The Donald very angry.

There is no such thing as "the GOP plan". The GOP is a large organization, with many conflicting "plans".

Well I don't know, it seems they have some plan, what with the Mitt Romney thing yesterday and the obviously pre-rehearsed gang-up in debate.

Nope.

some such historic event

If your referring to pledged delegates (delegates won in primaries) at the convention, they are obligated to vote for the candidate they are pledged to in the first round of voting. If any candidate has 50% +1 votes in the first round, they will be the nominee. If not, it's called a "brokered convention", and pledged delegates are then freed to vote for whoever they want.
I'm honestly not sure if "brokered" really describes a back room deal .... such as Mitt flying in at the last second and "establishment delegates" flocking to him - which ain't gonna happen btw.

And a "contested" convention is when the candidates make open appeals to delegates to support themselves.

PS, if Trump's the nominee, I'm gonna go to the beer and cigar store and spinning for Growler of Scottish Export and a Cohiba. And sit in the back yard with Ben and laugh my ass off.

Well I don't know, it seems they have some plan, what with the Mitt Romney thing yesterday and the obviously pre-rehearsed gang-up in debate.

Who exactly is this "they" you speak of?

Our primary in Arizona is on the 22nd. What'll I do based on the 15th? I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

Arizona ??? QUICK----let the undocumented Mexicans vote

Nope.

some such historic event

oh----now I am even more confused

********BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH********

I can see it now. All the Republican contenders, past and present, will take swipes at him, while draped out in their togas.

"I can see it now. All the Republican contenders, past and present, will take swipes at him, while draped out in their togas."

Yes, I'm hearing they plan a big séance so that Alf Landon, Charles Hughes, James Blaine and Barry Goldwater don't feel left out of the fun :smoke:

Who exactly is this "they" you speak of?

The Party Establishment, it's obvious, they've already had people out there saying that The Donald MUST be stopped any which way.

Actually, their rules do say that they are obligated to nominate any candidate with 50% +1 of the total delegates - in fact, according to their rules, that's the only way a candidate can be nominated by the party.

Can you show me a source that verifies this? Specifically one that says the party is obligated to nominate a candidate even if they don't want that candidate. I'm looking right now but I can't find anything that really addresses what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure you're wrong, but maybe you're not.

Last edited:

Can you show me a source that verifies this? Specifically one that says the party is obligated to nominate a candidate even if they don't want that candidate. I'm looking right now but I can't find anything that really addresses what I'm talking about. I'm pretty sure you're wrong, but maybe you're not.

No, I'm not wrong.

The party isn't a single entity. It doesn't "want" any candidate. The party is made up of thousands of people, each with different goals and different preferred candidates. The rules for choosing a nominee are set in stone well before the primaries start, and can't be changed midstream.

Who is it that you think gets to choose the candidate for the party if they don't like the nominee?

Don't let populism drown out your ability to think critically.

Forum List

Back