Manhunt for "Oathkeeper"

The government fucked up at Ruby Ridge. The government fucked up at Waco.

That doesn't equate to a grand conspiracy. The Weavers and the Branch Dividians screwed up too. When you start shooting at law enforcement, it's bound to end badly.

What is going to be the cover for this guys when it all goes down? I am sure the government will be blamed for Dyer's untimely demise (if that's the way it goes) and the ancillary facts: 1.) He was a fugitive 2.) He was found to be in possession of high powered and illegal weapons. 3.) He stated that if the Sheriff's came to his house, there would be a shootout and 4.) His girlfriend incinerated his house to destroy evidence.

Will all be ignored.

After all, when you hate the government anyways, no use in acting like ending isn't already written.

Waco was a mess...but not like Ruby Ridge.

The Davidians had every opportunity to surrender and didn't.

Mistakes were made by the government, but like you said...bad things happen when you shoot LEOs.

Ruby Ridge was a whole different animal.

Everything the government did was wrong.

From the initial investigation provoked by a disgruntled neighbor to issuing a warrant for failure to appear after sending Weaver a letter with the wrong date to killing his son without identifying themselves.

It wasn't a mistake, it was criminal.

But...and here is where it bears on our discussion here.

I don't blame the whole government for one agent or group of agents FUBAR.

Just like this one guy being charged with a serious crime (that he stood trial for once and could convince a jury he was innocent) decided to take flight has zero bearing on Oathtakers as a group.

Your point on Ruby Ridge is sensible.

I agree this guy might not be a reflection of all oathkeepers or even a majority, but he is a reflection of a group of disenfranchised Americans who are becoming more and more prone to violence. That's cause for alarm.

BTW, he "hung" his last jury on the molestation case. That doesn't equate to "innocence". It equates to another trial.

The trial he failed to appear at.

If he beat the rap the first time, he would be vindicated now.

I don't claim to know the details behind the accusations of molestation. Maybe it was a disgruntled ex-wife or maybe it's true. He deserves his day in court. No it looks like he will go down in a blaze of glory.

And for what? To be a matyr for people who hate the federal government, which had nothing to do with his original arrest.

Right...that should have said "couldn't" as in "couldn't convince the jury he was innocent." during the first trial.

I'm with you, but I might take flight if I was innocent but couldn't convice a jury.

The ex-wife is the key witness for the prosecution. That's not a good sign IMO.

But really, my speculation is neither here nor there.

Whether he is innocent or guilty really isn't the point either.

Using one guy to paint an entire group is not kosher IMO.

I'm not an Oathkeeper...and I don't know any Oathkeepers...but if their goal is as stated, to refuse any order that violates the Constitution...that doesn't sound nuts to me.

I'm sure you received the same training I did...you know some American soldiers have gone off the reservation and many times the troops under their authority followed them when they knew they had a duty to refuse those orders.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. Still have the metal canteen cup. Good for making "cowboy coffee": Hot water plus folgers cooked over C-4.

I started out with the LBE. They got rid of it. The L shaped flashlight is somewhat of a dinosaur. I want to say our basic load was six magazines, but I can't remember. But Plastic has taken over. They were phasing out the ruck sack and frame when I got out for some wazoo plastic thing. I guess it's lighter.

We'd mix the cocoa and water into a paste and add the coffee...then take the sugar and add it into the creamer package and heat it over the matches...let it cool and it would be caramelized...break it up and add it to the cocoa/coffee.

Man...I do miss those days.

Was Spades still the unofficial Army card game?

Hurry up and wait? Break out the deck!

Oh yeah. Lesson learned: Never play spades against a mortar man. What do you think those muldoons are doing out in the field? Placing their tubes and then playing spades.

My brother started out as a butter bar commanding a mortar platoon...I gave him the best advice an enlisted man can give to a green 2LT...locate the most squared away NCO in your unit and covertly request his advice. :lol:

Now he's a high speed low drag cross configurated chrome plated turbo-hydramatic bad ass 18 series Major who can kick my ass.

Life just isn't fair is it... :lol:

Last edited:

Mistakes were made by the government, but like you said...bad things happen when you shoot LEOs.

From the initial investigation provoked by a disgruntled neighbor to issuing a warrant for failure to appear after sending Weaver a letter with the wrong date to killing his son without identifying themselves.

Just like this one guy being charged with a serious crime (that he stood trial for once and could convince a jury he was innocent) decided to take flight has zero bearing on Oathtakers as a group.

I agree this guy might not be a reflection of all oathkeepers or even a majority, but he is a reflection of a group of disenfranchised Americans who are becoming more and more prone to violence. That's cause for alarm.

BTW, he "hung" his last jury on the molestation case. That doesn't equate to "innocence". It equates to another trial.

I don't claim to know the details behind the accusations of molestation. Maybe it was a disgruntled ex-wife or maybe it's true. He deserves his day in court. No it looks like he will go down in a blaze of glory.

And for what? To be a matyr for people who hate the federal government, which had nothing to do with his original arrest.

Right...that should have said "couldn't" as in "couldn't convince the jury he was innocent." during the first trial.

I'm with you, but I might take flight if I was innocent but couldn't convice a jury.

I'm not an Oathkeeper...and I don't know any Oathkeepers...but if their goal is as stated, to refuse any order that violates the Constitution...that doesn't sound nuts to me.

I'm sure you received the same training I did...you know some American soldiers have gone of the reservation and many times the troops under their authority followed them when they knew they had a duty to refuse those orders.

Umm 2 guys, Bigreb is number 2. ;)

the only 2 I know of btw.

We'd mix the cocoa and water into a paste and add the coffee...then take the sugar and add it into the creamer package and heat it over the matches...let it cool and it would be caramelized...break it up and add it to the cocoa/coffee.

Oh yeah. Lesson learned: Never play spades against a mortar man. What do you think those muldoons are doing out in the field? Placing their tubes and then playing spades.

My brother started out as a butter bar commanding a mortar platoon...I gave him the best advice an enlisted man can give to a green 2LT...locate the most squared away NCO in your unit and covertly request his advice. :lol:

Now he's a high speed low drag cross configurated chrome plated turbo-hydramatic bad ass 18 series Major who can kick my ass.

Same thing in the Navy...find the good chiefs and get their advice often.

You must be a youngin' or just recently ETS'd.

When I was in we had an LBE, 2 canteens, 2 ammo pouches, an E-tool, flashlight, first-aid kit and an M9 bayonet and sheath. The only plastic in the whole rig was the canteens...

...are canteens cups still metal? :lol:

Oh yeah. Still have the metal canteen cup. Good for making "cowboy coffee": Hot water plus folgers cooked over C-4.

I started out with the LBE. They got rid of it. The L shaped flashlight is somewhat of a dinosaur. I want to say our basic load was six magazines, but I can't remember. But Plastic has taken over. They were phasing out the ruck sack and frame when I got out for some wazoo plastic thing. I guess it's lighter.

LMAO!......Old school C-rats

I think I still have a bunch of P-38's stashed away somewhere.

We'd just break up the John Wayne Bars and add it to the coffee.

Gotta say though, some of the C-rats were better than some of the MRE's.

All I have seen them drinking in Iraq and such is bottled Dasani.

Camelbacks when you are on patrol.

Much better then Canteens. We'd still load Canteens, because you need water. We made a mistake and busted a "small" gulch in Afghanistan with little water because it didn't look big on the map.

We never made that mistake again. It was fucking miserable.

Yeah...something similar, not so potentially lethal, but equally impactive occurred while I was participating in a training exercise in Arizona.

I was an 96B analyst correlating intelligence reports that were being relayed from the G2 to the S2...no images just text and audio.

So one report and then a confirmation comes in that one of the two attacking Motorized Rifle Division's bridging units were destroyed.

(Yes, it was the Cold War, everything was Soviet Order of Battle)

I look at the map and their plotted location is on the other side of the Rio Grande in Mexico.

I'm thinking, OK we can concentrate elsewhere, this MRD can't get to us right now.

I couldn't have been more wrong. :lol:

I had never seen the Rio Grande, but hell, it had to be huge, right?

As it turns out the Rio Grande ain't so grand.

At that location you could walk across it and not get your pants wet. :eusa_whistle:

Turns out this particular exercise is like the Kobayashi Maru of S2 training.

of course, I got an lousy AAR and learned a lesson that I carry to this day.

If you don't know, find out...your assumption will absolutely come back and bite you in the ass. :thup:

There were some pretty awful MREs when they first came out.

"Rat-loaf" and "chicken a la puke" spring to mind. :eusa_sick:

Beanie-Weenies weren't bad, but whatever they packed those hotdogs in was vile.

EDIT - List of MRE Menus by era, from wikipedia...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal,_Ready-to-Eat#MRE_menus_by_era

I had forgotten a few of them.

The nickname they have listed for Beanie-Weenies is..."The Four Fingers of Death" :rofl:

Last edited:

There were some pretty awful MREs when they first came out.

"Rat-loaf" and "chicken a la puke" spring to mind. :eusa_sick:

Beanie-Weenies weren't bad, but whatever they packed those hotdogs in was vile.
No shit!

So military men and women who vow to support the Constitution, particularly in the event they are told to disarm or fire upon Americans, are fringe these days.

Good to know.

No, but a brief aside. He would have had a new trial and a new jury. I wonder if some new evidence surfaced or if he just became more paranoid. Something changed in Dyer or the situation. He was willing to face the music the first time, but not the second time. Hung juries aren't exactly rare. So, he can't claim some sort of legal shenanigans.

It is to an extent. If he is guilty, he knows it (if he has competence) and is blaming the federal government to try and deflect attention away from his act.

I may be niave, but I tend to think that if these allegations were completely baseless, he would have been acquitted the first time (if even charged).

I'm sure you received the same training I did...you know some American soldiers have gone off the reservation and many times the troops under their authority followed them when they knew they had a duty to refuse those orders.

Here is my problem with this whole silly Oathkeeper movement. We can all agree that soldiers shouldn't follow illegal orders. However, their "pact" extends an extraordinary amount of legal latitude to them to determine what they deem to be constitutional. This goes far beyond the "obligation to disobey an illegal order". Examples like that (i.e. My Lai are so extreme that no reasonable person would have to debate them). Instead, this allows a group of people to skip our entire legal system and the UCMJ and I will give you and example in a second. At any rate, private citizens don't have that latitude. I can't decide it's unconstitutional for the government to collect income tax and refuse to pay them. People have tried that. It ended poorly. I can't decide it is constitutional to own a belt fed .50 caliber machine gun. Again, things of that nature end poorly.

Back to the UCMJ: I submit the former LTC Terry Lakin D.O. (I have no idea if he was an "oathkeeper". Dr. Lakin was a military physician with a respectful record. Dr. Lakin decided that, upon being called up for a tour in Afghanistan (where he had previously served) that the order was not constitutionally valid because the President had not produced a "long form" birth certificate and therefore hadn't proved he was a natural born citizen and constitutionally valid to give orders. Lakin was given many opportunities to drop this notion and report and was informed that he would be charged if he failed to report. Dr. Lakin still refused and eventually missed movement, which resulted in another physician being called up at the last minute to take his place. The plane had no sooner left the tarmac then Lakin was taken into custody and a Court Martial was held. Despite being assured by his birther colleagues that he was prevailed, he was summarily court martialed on multiple counts of violating the UCMJ and sentenced to six months in the Disciplinary Barracks at Ft. Leavenworth. He served his time, was dishonorably discharged with a loss of all benefits, and there is now some question as to if he can even practice medicine as he has what amounts to a felony conviction.

In Terry Lakin's case (I won't attach rank to his name anymore) the determination that he could interpret the constitution on his own ended up destroying his military and perhaps his medical career.

While the Oathkeeper stuff sounds good on paper, what is and is not constitutional is not always clear cut. If it were, we would not need the SCOTUS. Active duty soldiers extending the latitude to interpret the law on their own is a path laden with peril.

All that aside, I don't think the violent Dyer is representative of the OK as a whole. However, a significant portion of these guys are spoiling for a fight. They are dangerous and going to bring violence to this country. When that happens, liberals and conservatives are going to have to move beyond the usual hyperbole and recognize domestic terrorism for what it is.

Good advice. I had a great PSG. He taught me far more then my Company Commander.

All I have seen them drinking in Iraq and such is bottled Dasani.

Camelbacks when you are on patrol.

Much better then Canteens. We'd still load Canteens, because you need water. We made a mistake and busted a "small" gulch in Afghanistan with little water because it didn't look big on the map.

We never made that mistake again. It was fucking miserable.

Yeah...something similar, not so potentially lethal, but equally impactive occurred while I was participating in a training exercise in Arizona.

I was an 96B analyst correlating intelligence reports that were being relayed from the G2 to the S2...no images just text and audio.

So one report and then a confirmation comes in that one of the two attacking Motorized Rifle Division's bridging units were destroyed.

(Yes, it was the Cold War, everything was Soviet Order of Battle)

I look at the map and their plotted location is on the other side of the Rio Grande in Mexico.

I'm thinking, OK we can concentrate elsewhere, this MRD can't get to us right now.

I couldn't have been more wrong. :lol:

I had never seen the Rio Grande, but hell, it had to be huge, right?

As it turns out the Rio Grande ain't so grand.

At that location you could walk across it and not get your pants wet. :eusa_whistle:

Turns out this particular exercise is like the Kobayashi Maru of S2 training.

of course, I got an lousy AAR and learned a lesson that I carry to this day.

If you don't know, find out...your assumption will absolutely come back and bite you in the ass. :thup:

I could fill a book with the things I fucked up in four short years of active duty. My OERs never suffered from them. I had good leaders who know that if they created a zero tolerance environment, they'd create an inefficient unit.

Plus, my PSG had already told me the fix. "We write your OER, Sir, the Commander just signs it."

No, but a brief aside. He would have had a new trial and a new jury. I wonder if some new evidence surfaced or if he just became more paranoid. Something changed in Dyer or the situation. He was willing to face the music the first time, but not the second time. Hung juries aren't exactly rare. So, he can't claim some sort of legal shenanigans.

It is to an extent. If he is guilty, he knows it (if he has competence) and is blaming the federal government to try and deflect attention away from his act.

I may be niave, but I tend to think that if these allegations were completely baseless, he would have been acquitted the first time (if even charged).

Here is my problem with this whole silly Oathkeeper movement. We can all agree that soldiers shouldn't follow illegal orders. However, their "pact" extends an extraordinary amount of legal latitude to them to determine what they deem to be constitutional. This goes far beyond the "obligation to disobey an illegal order". Examples like that (i.e. My Lai are so extreme that no reasonable person would have to debate them). Instead, this allows a group of people to skip our entire legal system and the UCMJ and I will give you and example in a second. At any rate, private citizens don't have that latitude. I can't decide it's unconstitutional for the government to collect income tax and refuse to pay them. People have tried that. It ended poorly. I can't decide it is constitutional to own a belt fed .50 caliber machine gun. Again, things of that nature end poorly.

Back to the UCMJ: I submit the former LTC Terry Lakin D.O. (I have no idea if he was an "oathkeeper". Dr. Lakin was a military physician with a respectful record. Dr. Lakin decided that, upon being called up for a tour in Afghanistan (where he had previously served) that the order was not constitutionally valid because the President had not produced a "long form" birth certificate and therefore hadn't proved he was a natural born citizen and constitutionally valid to give orders. Lakin was given many opportunities to drop this notion and report and was informed that he would be charged if he failed to report. Dr. Lakin still refused and eventually missed movement, which resulted in another physician being called up at the last minute to take his place. The plane had no sooner left the tarmac then Lakin was taken into custody and a Court Martial was held. Despite being assured by his birther colleagues that he was prevailed, he was summarily court martialed on multiple counts of violating the UCMJ and sentenced to six months in the Disciplinary Barracks at Ft. Leavenworth. He served his time, was dishonorably discharged with a loss of all benefits, and there is now some question as to if he can even practice medicine as he has what amounts to a felony conviction.

In Terry Lakin's case (I won't attach rank to his name anymore) the determination that he could interpret the constitution on his own ended up destroying his military and perhaps his medical career.

While the Oathkeeper stuff sounds good on paper, what is and is not constitutional is not always clear cut. If it were, we would not need the SCOTUS. Active duty soldiers extending the latitude to interpret the law on their own is a path laden with peril.

All that aside, I don't think the violent Dyer is representative of the OK as a whole. However, a significant portion of these guys are spoiling for a fight. They are dangerous and going to bring violence to this country. When that happens, liberals and conservatives are going to have to move beyond the usual hyperbole and recognize domestic terrorism for what it is.

We touched on Lakin earlier in this thread, and I agree, that was just stupid...President Obama is the CinC. Only Congress or the SCOTUS have the power to change that between elections.

But, according to what I've read, the Oathkeepers have a clearly delineated list of the specific orders that they will refuse to carry out.

I posted it earlier in the thread...http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...934-manhunt-for-oathkeeper-2.html#post4034727

I predicate my defense of their organization on this list being both the culmination and extent of their Constitutional interpretation.

So military men and women who vow to support the Constitution, particularly in the event they are told to disarm or fire upon Americans, are fringe these days.

Good to know.

No, it appears there is a fringe who do not take their regular oath seriously and have to do a double oath....with little badges and club names in order to take that same oath as seriously as do the rest of us after only once.

:lol: By his girlfriend.

Just face it, the guy is a low life who doesn't want to face the law.

Guilty by Lussia court of opinion that and some toilet paper you can wipe your ass.

Forum List

Back