Mandate for Man Dates?

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
The Natural Truth | Maybe They Mean It Was A "Narrow" Landslide

What's the difference between a "landslide" victory and a "narrow" defeat? Let's check the media math.

When Barack Obama gets 52% of the vote, it's a "landslide!:"

After the longest and costliest election in U.S. history, Barack Obama won a landslide--CNN

With far less money available for new spending, [Obama] risks letting down supporters whose anticipation soared after his landslide electoral victory. -- Baltimore Sun

But when 52% of Californians vote to define marriage as one man/one woman?

A ballot initiative to ban gay marriage in California appears headed for a narrow defeat, exit polls showed.

52%: It's a mandate, except for when it outlaws man dates.

I think they consider the Presidential elections a landslide based on the electoral college, not the popular vote.

But, your point is valid. The media needs to be controlled. Their brainwashing abilities are amazing.

But you know that Dimmies don't think the electoral college should count.

After all Gore won the popular vote and lost the EC.

Thr popular vote is all that counts to the dimmies and 52% is NOT a landslide.

But you know that Dimmies don't think the electoral college should count.

After all Gore won the popular vote and lost the EC.

Thr popular vote is all that counts to the dimmies and 52% is NOT a landslide.

I guess if we were all brighties like you, we would realize this.:eusa_whistle:

The electoral was a landslide.

Also, the gay marriage amendment was a yes or no...the election was multiple choice. What did McCain get--20%? So yes, while it wasn't exactly a landslide it was a mandate if you compare it with the spread between Bush and Kerry (which Bush claimed as a mandate).

I know this is probably a little too much math for you wingnuts to grasp.

:rofl:

I think they consider the Presidential elections a landslide based on the electoral college, not the popular vote.

But, your point is valid. The media needs to be controlled. Their brainwashing abilities are amazing.

Brainwashing abilities?

Are you serious?

it comes down to the tone of the press.

'Obama Wins In A Landslide"

Or

"Obama Receives 52% of the Vote"

the latter is neutral and unequivocally true the former is biased and only true in the sense that BHO won the election.

I'm totally with you skull pilot and I am amazed that the no on prop eight people think that counting the remaining ballots has a chance in hell of overturning the yes, thought they should be counted of course.

the nat'l pres election was not a landslide. It is correct to say that the dems have complete control (except filibusters thankfully) but not that they won it through a landslide - and the seats in the house and senate could have been much more extreme for dems so there was some moderation there. Not a landslide.

By the time it's all counted and done ..

Obama will have more, a lot more, than twice as many Electoral College votes as his opponent. He may end up with 383 electoral college votes

He will have beaten McCain in the popular vote by more than 7 million votes.

He won more white voters than Clinton, Kerry, or Gore.

He won almost all of the biggest states in the country

He won in traditional republican safe havens

He swept the key battleground states of Pennsylvania, Ohio Florida and Virginia, and turned what was suppossed to be battleground states like Michigan into easy wins

He won 8 more states that were won by Bush in 2004 (Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia and Florida)

He's probably going to win in North Carolina .. which would make it 9 states he grabbed from republicans .. and a major blow

He won some of the largest states by HUGE margins .. he beat McCain 62 to 37% in New York, 61 to 38% in Illinois, 61 to 37% in California.

He won every state that was won by Kerry in 2004, including the whole of the New England region, the industrial Great Lakes region, and the Pacific coastal states.

No Republican candidate ever gets to 270 Electoral College votes without sweeping the South, including Virginia, and winning at least two out of the three battleground states of Pennsyvania, Florida, and Ohio .. and McCain lost all four.

I find it really amusing listening to republicans sling to percentages of the popular vote, as if that's meaningful .. when they shouted down democrats who clung to it when Gore beat Bush in the popular vote. Then, ONLY the Electoral College was imporatnt.

I didn't vote for Obama, but serious critical thinkers cannot deny if anyone has ever had a mandate, Obama is it.

get real

Last edited:
Obama will have 364. Clinton had a greater EV total in 1996 and 1992, surprisingly.

Just for the hell of it I googled the supposed CNN headline and came up with nothing. And the Baltimore Sun was not a headline, it was a sentence in a column...and HE ACTUALLY DID WIN AN ELECTORAL LANDSLIDE!!!

Jesus, you people are going to whine forever, aren't you?

I'm not whining. I am merely pointing out inconsistencies in the press.

Oh yeah .. Man Dates?

I've been around for a few years and I've never once noticed any decrease in homosexuals in America .. in fact, there presence has been steadily growing as opposed to decreasing .. in fact, today they can quite comfortably be open and themselves without concerning themselves with traditional insecurities.

Point is whether they are allowed to marry today or tomorrow won't matter in the long run. Is there anybody sane who believes that gay marriage won't come to the United States?

I misrepresented what?

52% is a landslide or 52% is a narrow victory? Which is it?

So 53% is a landslide?

I'm just trying to clarify terms here.

When you have twice the electoral votes that your opponent had then it seems that would be a but kicking but I dont know what the definition of landslide is. I would think a landslide would be if he had less than 100 electoral votes but who knows, just my opinion.

Forum List

Back