Male teen Has Consensual Sex with Female Teen. He Gets 25 Years as Sex Offender, Banned from Interne

its statutory raping, and not leniency, just not ruining someones life when he had no intent of committing the crime he is accused of.

He should go to jail for a set time as punishment, then let go. that's it.

He should have gotten time served, probation, and a hearty, "YOU DUMBASS!" from the judge.

Oh, I would think 3 months in county lockup would do him some good. That and some regular old probation and community service after. He still broke the law, and breaking a statutory law is not excused by deception (although it can be mitigated).

Yea - why don't we give him probation instead of a sexual predator tag, and assign him to do community service in counseling rape victim's; being a janitor or security guard at a battered women's shelter or public school, Middle School, 6th-7th-8th grade students probably would suit him well, or let him teach or coach a girls volleyball team in the public school system in Michigan. I know you guys would feel real comfortable with that. Something productive, where he could put all his talents to good use, and rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the citizenry and the judge. Bet the girls parents would even go for one of those suggestions - but - there might be a few objections from the Department of Corrections, local law enforcement in the community he lives in, and the School Board. But hey - this guy deserves the break - after all - the only thing he did was commit two crimes; criminal solicitation via the internet for sexual consideration and statutory rape of a 14-year old girl. What - Me Worry?...........

its statutory raping, and not leniency, just not ruining someones life when he had no intent of committing the crime he is accused of.

He should have gotten time served, probation, and a hearty, "YOU DUMBASS!" from the judge.

Oh, I would think 3 months in county lockup would do him some good. That and some regular old probation and community service after. He still broke the law, and breaking a statutory law is not excused by deception (although it can be mitigated).

Yea - why don't we give him probation instead of a sexual predator tag, and assign him to do community service in counseling rape victim's; being a janitor or security guard at a battered women's shelter or public school, Middle School, 6th-7th-8th grade students probably would suit him well, or let him teach or coach a girls volleyball team in the public school system in Michigan. I know you guys would feel real comfortable with that. Something productive, where he could put all his talents to good use, and rehabilitate himself in the eyes of the citizenry and the judge. Bet the girls parents would even go for one of those suggestions - but - there might be a few objections from the Department of Corrections, local law enforcement in the community he lives in, and the School Board. But hey - this guy deserves the break - after all - the only thing he did was commit two crimes; criminal solicitation via the internet for sexual consideration and statutory rape of a 14-year old girl. What - Me Worry?...........

Again, it wasn't his intent. Why do you want to lump together people who WANT to be kid touchers with people who don't?

This guy needs to be punished, but he is not a sex offender by intent. He wanted some action from someone he thought was legal.

yes really. If they are on the list I want to know he/she did something really bad, not being 19 and having sex with someone he thought was 17 and was actually 14, or someone who got caught for "exposure" because they were drunk and took a piss on a wall.

Rapists, people who actually WANT to have sex with 14 year olds, pedophiles, flashers, etc, those are the people who should be on the list.

Then go to your state legislature and change the law. At the moment, indecent exposure and statutory rape ARE sex offenses. I'm not seeing a good reason why they shouldn't be.

Pissing on a wall is not indecent exposure. It's public urination.

It CAN be indecent exposure , if people in fact are exposed to your willy.

And I disagree with many of you . I don't think this guy should have been charged with a crime at all.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse doesn't apply here, b/c the guy isn't claiming he didn't know the law, he is claiming he didn't know the girl was underage, ad the girl confirmed that she lied to him.

Let's use an analogy.

Let's say you go into your local Wal Mart and you buy some things, and you pay cash.

Now let's say that unbeknown to you, the cash you used was counterfeit.

Let's say you were arrested for that. Would you say "oh well too bad that I didn't know the money was counterfeit, next time I better check that" or would you argue that you didn't knowingly commit a crime??

I fail to see how anyone could be stupid enough to believe that a person who LIED to another person in order to get them to commit a crime aided and abetted that person in committing a crime.

I'm fairly certain, absent evidence to the contrary, that this kid would have ran like hell had she told him she was 14.

Therefor SHE caused the crime to be committed.

Morons

She is underage, the only crime she could be charged with here is juvenile delinquency...........

are you entirely retarded? Being underage isn't relevant. 14 years are often charged as adults in fact.

Being underage is the only thing that is relevant in this particular case, because children can not give consent, no matter what they might post on the internet or engage in regarding sexual partners. The adult at 19 is totally responsible, under Michigan law, to determine and insure that his sexual partner, who he solicited through social media, also a crime in Michigan, even if the sexual encounter wasn't carried out, was, in fact, of legal age to consent to sexual activity with an adult, not the other way around. Why you people continue to post in favor of a sexual predator instead of in favor of the judge and the law of Michigan protecting 14-year old's from being duped into sexual encounters by an adult, absolutely stunningly surprising - but - that is American liberalism - no penalty, no harm - no foul, let him walk, so he can destroy another child's life. Now you idiots (apparently name calling is approved of on this message board), can continue to spout your misguided, immature, unnatural, out-of-touch rational regarding adults raping 14-year old girls for another 150 some posts, you are not going to change my mind, I have a law enforcement background, and teaching background, and do not condone such activity, never will, and will continually counter your garbage posts with the facts. A 19-year old adult can't have sex with a 14-year old girl in the State of Michigan, it is rape...............

Do you honestly think you are arguing with a bunch of liberals here? That everyone who disagrees with you on this particular subject is a liberal? Are you a person who views everyone that disagrees with you as a liberal?

I also wonder that your law enforcement and teaching backgrounds have left you so ill prepared to comprehend the difference between condoning something and considering the penalty for something too harsh. Or perhaps you understand perfectly well but are simply intentionally misrepresenting the stated opinions of other posters to try and bolster your point....

I am discussion facts with people who are espousing liberal philosophy regarding the criminal justice system, something liberals destroyed beginning way back in 1966 with the the Supreme Court decisions regarding advice of rights; rehabilitation vs retribution (which is what you are championing here) - a system that has proven to be unworkable and detrimental to American society ever since it was foisted on us by liberals and coddling of criminals, at the expense of raping underage children. As for my law enforcement background - it gave me a solid insight into interrogation and investigative techniques, allowing me to observe first hand, the dismantling of citizen rights and replacing those rights with criminal's rights. As for my teaching background, it is High School - which means I deal with teenagers almost daily, and have absolutely no trouble determining the age of high school freshmen, and also the age and attitudes they display usually, and those of 18-19 year old boys. In fact, it is absolutely surprising that the 19 year old involved in this case didn't immediately determine the age of that girl as around a 14-year old Freshman, since he probably was so recently separated from the High School environment. I don't consider the penalty too harsh, and have confidence that judge was protecting society's underage children from rape and statutory rape and solicitation for sexual favors via electronic, social media, also a crime in Michigan. Do any of you live in Michigan? Have any of you raised daughter's? Do you consider a 19 year old having sexual encounters with 14 year old's acceptable? Apparently you do - I don't, and happen to be sickened at your crocodile tears shed over the perpetrator of the crime, instead of the underage victim of the rape. If we ignore the consent laws regarding underage children in this country, we will have a flurry of sexual rapes and liberal excuses that excuse the criminal adult from culpability for his actions. I don't condone rape of underage children, no matter what moniker you guys put on it...........apparently you do. You have a problem with the judge's decision, move to Michigan, and take political action to overturn his decision's. I believe you will find the judge more capable in evaluating what occurred, and what was an appropriate punishment for that crime, than your Geraldo Riveria; Judge Judy television back seat legal skills from watching those shows. I have been in the field, still remain in the field, have extended experience in the field - and disagree with you, and will always disagree with you.................

Since you are unwilling to or incapable of seeing variations of opinion in this matter; and since you clearly are going to argue your strawmen rather than what anyone actually says to you, I leave you to it.

Again, it wasn't his intent. Why do you want to lump together people who WANT to be kid touchers with people who don't?

This guy needs to be punished, but he is not a sex offender by intent. He wanted some action from someone he thought was legal.

Don't agree he needs to be punished. While we can't and shouldn't allow ignorance of the law to become a defense, being publicly humiliated and demonized is punishment enough.

Should be back home if not already, and have his "crime' expunged from his record. No probation, no sex offender registry, nothing.

Not in every such incident, but in this specific one he didn't do anything needing legal intervention. Used to handle this sort of thing between families.

Its the same as if I sell you car with a fake title. You pay cash for the car and drive it off. The next day you are arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle. You had no intent on posessing one but you did. Should you do 10 years in prison for it? You THOUGHT it was a legit sale, just like he THOUGHT she was legal, but if ignorance of the law doesn't work for him, it won't work for you either.

Get back with me when you get an answer.

yes really. If they are on the list I want to know he/she did something really bad, not being 19 and having sex with someone he thought was 17 and was actually 14, or someone who got caught for "exposure" because they were drunk and took a piss on a wall.

Rapists, people who actually WANT to have sex with 14 year olds, pedophiles, flashers, etc, those are the people who should be on the list.

Then go to your state legislature and change the law. At the moment, indecent exposure and statutory rape ARE sex offenses. I'm not seeing a good reason why they shouldn't be.

Pissing on a wall is not indecent exposure. It's public urination.

It CAN be indecent exposure , if people in fact are exposed to your willy.

And I disagree with many of you . I don't think this guy should have been charged with a crime at all.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse doesn't apply here, b/c the guy isn't claiming he didn't know the law, he is claiming he didn't know the girl was underage, ad the girl confirmed that she lied to him.

Let's use an analogy.

Let's say you go into your local Wal Mart and you buy some things, and you pay cash.

Now let's say that unbeknown to you, the cash you used was counterfeit.

Let's say you were arrested for that. Would you say "oh well too bad that I didn't know the money was counterfeit, next time I better check that" or would you argue that you didn't knowingly commit a crime??

The deciding factor is if it is Statutory that using counterfeit currency is illegal. Having sex with a minor when of age is a statutory crime, intent and knowledge doesn't mean anything. He should go to jail for a small period of time, have a record, but not be put on the offenders list.

I only exist because of a non-traditional union and birth to 13yo mother and 27 yo father (was then put up for adoption and raised by my "true parents who raised me.") But everything I've heard and read the law was never involved (beyond the adoption-related ones.) Both families knew and were friends with each other, and stuff happened. :)

We need to quit infantilizing teens. God or biology makes us adults when we can reproduce our species. A 14 or 13 yo is not a "child" except in the legal sense. But the legal sense isn't reality, it's arbitrary. What's legal/illegal one day can change tomorrow and suddenly what pissed you off yesterday shouldn't any more because now your only objection is gone. It isn't illegal any more.

If your only objection here is 14yo was illegal, then what countries and states right here where this would have been legal? Because of Romeo and Juliet laws, some states have a 5 year spread and 14 and 19 would be perfectly legal. Would you be up in arms then? Why?

I have a 16 year old daughter. She does not look 16 and has looked older than her age for a few years now.

If she did this... the only one in trouble..would be her if I could help it.

That 19 year old now has a stigma on him for the rest of his life because she lied and caused all this. He most likely wont be able to get a decent job..wherever he lives, he has to register and all his neighbors will know...most wont care why he is registered. All because she lied. He is 19 and thought he was having sex with a 17 year old. How many of you check identification before jumping into bed with someone? And no, you cant tell someone age by looking at them. Walk by any high school and tell me how old some of these girls are. 9 out of 10 times you will be wrong.

He wasn't looking for a 14 year old.

I only exist because of a non-traditional union and birth to 13yo mother and 27 yo father (was then put up for adoption and raised by my "true parents who raised me.") But everything I've heard and read the law was never involved (beyond the adoption-related ones.) Both families knew and were friends with each other, and stuff happened. :)

We need to quit infantilizing teens. God or biology makes us adults when we can reproduce our species. A 14 or 13 yo is not a "child" except in the legal sense. But the legal sense isn't reality, it's arbitrary. What's legal/illegal one day can change tomorrow and suddenly what pissed you off yesterday shouldn't any more because now your only objection is gone. It isn't illegal any more.

If your only objection here is 14yo was illegal, then what countries and states right here where this would have been legal? Because of Romeo and Juliet laws, some states have a 5 year spread and 14 and 19 would be perfectly legal. Would you be up in arms then? Why?

I disagree completely on that.
The ability to procreate does not mean one is "adult". Physical and brain development lag far behind reproductive development and the laws are designed to protect a person who is not yet mature enough to be considered an adult.

If she produced a really good fake ID and signed an agreement saying she was of legal age some would say he's still guilty even though he was a victim of a fraud?

This is so tough, but it could be claimed that HE was the victim, not her.

Computer science student Zach Anderson, 19, met a girl, 17, on the "Hot or Not?" app. He was from Elkhart, Indiana. She was 20 minutes over the border in Niles, Michigan. They hooked up. Once.

But it turned out the girl was really 14. She'd lied to Anderson and also in her profile. Now Zach sits in a Michigan jail, serving 90 days. When he gets out he will be on the Sex Offender Registry for 25 years...

In this excellent South Bend Tribune article, the mom told a reporter that she didn’t just ask the judge for leniency, "we asked him to drop the case."...

Now, in addition to registering as a sex offender, Anderson will spend five years on probation, during which time he will not be allowed to live in a home where there is internet access or a smart phone. He will obviously have to change his major. And he is forbidden to talk to anyone under age 17, except his brothers....
Male Teen Has Consensual Sex with Female Teen. He Gets 25 Years as Sex Offender Banned from Internet. - Hit Run Reason.com

One problem is that this 14 year-old girl searching sex through the "Hot or Not?" app.

And the next, the young man's sentence is a true miscarriage of justice. The criminalization of the resultant act and the destruction of this young man's future is the true crime. This kid got sex offender status for making a judge sadface about kids these days.

How long the judges will be allowed to screw up people as they want?
Teens cannot have consensual sex. The prison term is justified and legal. Think about how the girl's father and mother feel about a boy violating their precious daughter.
Teens have sex all the time dude... and the mother of the girl in this case was on the boy's side telling them to drop the case.

I have a 16 year old daughter. She does not look 16 and has looked older than her age for a few years now.

If she did this... the only one in trouble..would be her if I could help it.

That 19 year old now has a stigma on him for the rest of his life because she lied and caused all this. He most likely wont be able to get a decent job..wherever he lives, he has to register and all his neighbors will know...most wont care why he is registered. All because she lied. He is 19 and thought he was having sex with a 17 year old. How many of you check identification before jumping into bed with someone? And no, you cant tell someone age by looking at them. Walk by any high school and tell me how old some of these girls are. 9 out of 10 times you will be wrong.

He wasn't looking for a 14 year old.
Well said. The judge is a hard ass asshole that needs to be removed from the bench and placed on a community advisory list as being a fricken tyrant that ruined lives.

The law doesn't address intent, it addresses result.

The point is, not that he intended to commit statutory rape, he just didn't care.

The law doesn't address intent, it addresses result.

The point is, not that he intended to commit statutory rape, he just didn't care.

Not seeing that. If she showed him a really good fake ID, would he be a victim or the criminal?

Sounds as though he would be a victim.

I was buying beer at 15 because I looked 21 and had a very well done fake ID.

This whole thing is really sad.

Its the same as if I sell you car with a fake title. You pay cash for the car and drive it off. The next day you are arrested for possession of a stolen vehicle. You had no intent on posessing one but you did. Should you do 10 years in prison for it? You THOUGHT it was a legit sale, just like he THOUGHT she was legal, but if ignorance of the law doesn't work for him, it won't work for you either.

Get back with me when you get an answer.

Your answer has always been - "caveat emptor" you didn't even have to read Michigan's Statutory Rape Laws to understand the burden to determine whether the female is of the age of consent because it always rests with him.

She is incapable of giving consent. However she represented herself is not pertinent to the situation.

He solicited via electronic (social media), also a crime in Michigan, and got caught.

The judge is protecting every other little 14-year old girl in the state from predator's like this guy. End of story, your legal and debating skills are unimaginable limited..............

So what's your solution? Give a 19 year old a pass for having sex with a 14 year old because she looks old for her age?

How about taking some time to get to know a girl before you have sex with her. You know, meet her parents and shit? That would have solved a lot of problems here.
AShe committed a fraud. She misrepresented herself and duped the guy.
Are we now subject to imprisonment or harsh sentences for an innocent consensual tryst?
Be careful what you wish for , Mr Moral Policeman..
If I were the guy, I would file suit against the girl's parents. They are responsible for the actions of their minor child. The girl created the situation. The parents allowed it to continue.

Computer science student Zach Anderson, 19, met a girl, 17, on the "Hot or Not?" app. He was from Elkhart, Indiana. She was 20 minutes over the border in Niles, Michigan. They hooked up. Once.

But it turned out the girl was really 14. She'd lied to Anderson and also in her profile. Now Zach sits in a Michigan jail, serving 90 days. When he gets out he will be on the Sex Offender Registry for 25 years...

In this excellent South Bend Tribune article, the mom told a reporter that she didn’t just ask the judge for leniency, "we asked him to drop the case."...

Now, in addition to registering as a sex offender, Anderson will spend five years on probation, during which time he will not be allowed to live in a home where there is internet access or a smart phone. He will obviously have to change his major. And he is forbidden to talk to anyone under age 17, except his brothers....
Male Teen Has Consensual Sex with Female Teen. He Gets 25 Years as Sex Offender Banned from Internet. - Hit Run Reason.com

One problem is that this 14 year-old girl searching sex through the "Hot or Not?" app.

And the next, the young man's sentence is a true miscarriage of justice. The criminalization of the resultant act and the destruction of this young man's future is the true crime. This kid got sex offender status for making a judge sadface about kids these days.

She was a minor, he was not. He was just plain stupid.
The age of consent is the standard by which a charge of statutory rape can apply. That age varies from state to state.
In Michigan the age of consent is 16.....What is the Michigan Legal Age of Consent for 2015

He was a legal adult, she was a minor - and not just slightly a minor. The only person who screwed up this kid was himself.
Pretty cut and dried there, huh?
Do you have a young son? Then I suppose you have prohibited him from dating?

Forum List

Back