Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

The restaurants just got their prices raised for them.

You know that server is still going to expect something left on the table.

Went to dinner with the ex and her parents (years ago). Her dad's a dumpster-diving tightwad.
I saw the tip he left on the table and knew it had to be 5% considering the meals we ordered.
So I went back to the restaurant the next day, found the person that waited our table, and made it right. He almost started crying he was so grateful.

Small town diner- 10%. Average 15%. Big city dive 20%. Big city ritz 25%. Use yer heads folks.

I had to do that once with my MIL. We went out to eat with her, and she only left a 10% tip. When we got to the car, I told her I forgot my hat inside. I caught the waitress, and made it up to a proper 20%. Got a really nice hug out of it too. :)

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

A tip is something you give for good service rendered. A tip is voluntary.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

I tip 15% for adequate service, 20% for good service. 25% added to the bill is a bit extreme.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

I always give 20. Even if the service borderline sucks. I understand these people have to make a living but 25% ???

Nope.

You tip at McDonalds?

face it ..wait people know all the gossip.......from the dishwasher at the local dive to the wine guy at the fancy place....gossip travels like lighting

The restaurants just got their prices raised for them.

You know that server is still going to expect something left on the table.

Yea.

Thank you for that!
Just what we needed....another reason for people to stay home.

Our prices went up because our COSTS are soaring.
On everything.
With more on the horizon.

:cuckoo:

Bad service = bad tip.
SF is moronic by wanting to make tipping mandatory.
I'll bet they can't enforce it in ChinaTown (which ain't that far from The Embarcdero), and that is where the business will go.

Right.... but how would you have felt if you had not choice...and the 25% was mandatory?
I'd find a business that broke the law.

Speaks to Integrity.

If they're breaking that law, what health codes are they ignoring in the kitchen?
:eusa_eh:

I wish I were young enough to waitress again in a place that made earning decent tips possible. Back in high school, in the 70's, I worked first in the coffee shop of a very famous restaurant, later the dining room. I made more in the coffee house side. $2.15 an hour salary. I average $20+ per hour in tips. On a Saturday working the 'big counter' from 8 am-2pm I'd bring home close to $200. At that time we reported I believe $1.75 per hour in tips, minimum wage was about $4.00 an hour then.

Amazing isnt it? Ive watched the wait staff roll out with 7-8+ hundred bucks a night.....each.

Yep, those talking about 'doing away with tips', haven't a clue to what they are wishing for. They'd make dining out so expensive that only the 1% could do so regularly. Then how many choices would they have on their every other year dining experience?

There are no tips in Japan. The price on the menu is what you pay. All in all, it was about the same cost, with better service.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

tipping-pink.jpg

It's absurd. Sorry, I am all for collective bargaining, but a tip should be a voluntary thing. I can understand if you have a huge group and you get an automatic tip to keep the waiter/waitress from getting ripped off from your cheap ass friends (and we all have them), but an "automatic tip"? That's just absurd. It takes away from the "hey, I really appreciate what you did for me, here's some lagniappe".

Furthermore, 25%? 15% used to be the going rate for mediocre service. I always leave 18% (on top of the tax added in) if the service is close to good and 20% if it's very good. It think a few times I have left a 25% tip, and it's been for something really special or nice (i.e. the waitress got something comped for an anniversary or some food that wasn't good/cold or was just really good).

An automatic 25% is stupid.

tipping-pink.jpg

It's absurd. Sorry, I am all for collective bargaining, but a tip should be a voluntary thing. I can understand if you have a huge group and you get an automatic tip to keep the waiter/waitress from getting ripped off from your cheap ass friends (and we all have them), but an "automatic tip"? That's just absurd. It takes away from the "hey, I really appreciate what you did for me, here's some lagniappe".

Furthermore, 25%? 15% used to be the going rate for mediocre service. I always leave 18% (on top of the tax added in) if the service is close to good and 20% if it's very good. It think a few times I have left a 25% tip, and it's been for something really special or nice (i.e. the waitress got something comped for an anniversary or some food that wasn't good/cold or was just really good).

I remember when 10% was considered a good tip.

tipping-pink.jpg

I don't mind tipping more. I feel it makes the dining experience more intimate. A forced 25% tip is absurd. I mean, if it's a wage issue, then they should be taking that up with managament and not forcing the customer to automatically make up the difference.

Went to dinner with the ex and her parents (years ago). Her dad's a dumpster-diving tightwad.
I saw the tip he left on the table and knew it had to be 5% considering the meals we ordered.
So I went back to the restaurant the next day, found the person that waited our table, and made it right. He almost started crying he was so grateful.

Small town diner- 10%. Average 15%. Big city dive 20%. Big city ritz 25%. Use yer heads folks.

I had to do that once with my MIL. We went out to eat with her, and she only left a 10% tip. When we got to the car, I told her I forgot my hat inside. I caught the waitress, and made it up to a proper 20%. Got a really nice hug out of it too. :)

I think we've all had those experiences. There is nothing more obnoxious then going out to eat with a tightwad that stiffs the wait staff on the tip. Then you look like the asshole by association. It's gotten to the point where I won't go out to eat with friends or family who I know make a habit of low balling their tips. Aside from the "bad manners" aspect, I end up subsiziding their meal by feeling obligated to make up the difference.

tipping-pink.jpg

I don't mind tipping more. I feel it makes the dining experience more intimate. A forced 25% tip is absurd. I mean, if it's a wage issue, then they should be taking that up with managament and not forcing the customer to automatically make up the difference.

Its not a wage issue... its a greed issue.

I understand restaurants adding the gratuity into the bill for large groups. I've seen plenty of groups run a server ragged and then all but stiff him/her on the tip. However to just add a 25% tip to EVERY bill is ridiculous. I'm sorry but I've had servers worth a 50% tip (rare but I've done it) and some not worth even a 1% tip. Most fall somewhere in the middle and usually get about 15-20%.

Reading this I am glad I don't live near SF and if it makes it's way to the midwest...well I guess I'll start saving a lot of money and learn to cook better because I won't be forced to leave extra money for service that may, or may not, deserve it.

I understand restaurants adding the gratuity into the bill for large groups. I've seen plenty of groups run a server ragged and then all but stiff him/her on the tip. However to just add a 25% tip to EVERY bill is ridiculous. I'm sorry but I've had servers worth a 50% tip (rare but I've done it) and some not worth even a 1% tip. Most fall somewhere in the middle and usually get about 15-20%.

Reading this I am glad I don't live near SF and if it makes it's way to the midwest...well I guess I'll start saving a lot of money and learn to cook better because I won't be forced to leave extra money for service that may, or may not, deserve it.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything that is standardized in San Fran making it any further East than Sacremento.

In Denver we're not tipping for lousy service: This includes service from a Flaming Queer.

I'd find a business that broke the law.

Speaks to Integrity.

If they're breaking that law, what health codes are they ignoring in the kitchen?
:eusa_eh:

Perhaps so, but I will not be coerced into giving "tips" that are not earned.
Integrity that.

Ok, so before you sit down ina CA restuarant, ask for a White Female, Anglo-Saxon Protestant waitress that will only accept whatever tip YOU decide to give her.

Forum List

Back