Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

It's ridiculous....Good servers are hard to find. I went through quite a few in all those years, and took good care of the excellent ones.

and on a normal night.... about how much cash would they walk out with?
On a normal weekday night, the excellent ones could walk out with 300-500 bucks in tips.....On weekend nights when the room, bar, and patio were rocking, a grand or more was not unusual.

On occasion, you would get a really high roller in who would send a grand back to the kitchen staff.......Oprah would hand the bussers a hundred.

You know how it is...There are servers, and then there are pro servers....pro servers can make a damn nice living in the right establishment, and make a career of it....Those are the ones I coveted.

Thanks...

I don't think anyone believed me about how much money servers walk out with..... in cash...every night.

i agree... you keep the good ones... and they are worth more then 25%.....and they get it too.

A mandatory 25% tip rate is a formula for mediocre, or worse, service. The incentive is removed and a guarantee put in place. Yeah, that's a great idea. Jesus, some people are friggin' stupid.

I generally shoot for a 20% tip with 25% my upper limit when I get good service or I am just in a good mood. Poor service is generally 10-15%. Piss poor service gets a buck

Frankly, I don't think my waiter or waitress deserves much more than that. For the most part, I can read the damn menu and I could just as easily go to the kitchen and hand them a piece of paper with my order on it. For the few minutes a waiter or waitress spends processing my order, I think they are more than well compensated

I generally shoot for a 20% tip with 25% my upper limit when I get good service or I am just in a good mood. Poor service is generally 10-15%. Piss poor service gets a buck

Frankly, I don't think my waiter or waitress deserves much more than that. For the most part, I can read the damn menu and I could just as easily go to the kitchen and hand them a piece of paper with my order on it. For the few minutes a waiter or waitress spends processing my order, I think they are more than well compensated
Yeah, but the whole point of going out is to be served.....If I have a server who can recite verbatim how a dish is prepared, recommend dishes, recommend Wine pairings with excellent knowledge, and is overall attentive, they are going to get an excellent tip.

If I have a server who doesn't know Jack Shit, can't recite verbatim how a dish is prepared, has to use the ol' standard slacker line of, "let me go back and ask the chef", their tip is going to definitely be light.

Yeah, but the whole point of going out is to be served.....If I have a server who can recite verbatim how a dish is prepared, recommend dishes, recommend Wine pairings with excellent knowledge, and is overall attentive, they are going to get an excellent tip.

If I have a server who doesn't know Jack Shit, can't recite verbatim how a dish is prepared, has to use the ol' standard slacker line of, "let me go back and ask the chef", their tip is going to definitely be light.

Lets not forget the ones who don't refill beverages, are rude and or ignore you......

Somewhere in this thread i listed a minimum of what i expect from a server......some dont even come up to that level... and they are the ones who want a forced 25% tip

Lets not forget the ones who don't refill beverages, are rude and or ignore you......

Somewhere in this thread i listed a minimum of what i expect from a server......some dont even come up to that level... and they are the ones who want a forced 25% tip
I can't stand overly bubbly servers either....They drive me nuts.

And don't be surprised if there aren't a lot of owners pushing for that mandatory.....Damn sure they will pass on the standard 15% to the server, and pocket the remaining 10 for themselves.

I consider it extortion of the customer, and highly unethical.

I can't stand overly bubbly servers either....They drive me nuts.

And don't be surprised if there aren't a lot of owners pushing for that mandatory.....Damn sure they will pass on the standard 15% to the server, and pocket the remaining 10 for themselves.

I consider it extortion of the customer, and highly unethical.

I agree.

BUT... if it is mandatory...it is no longer a tip but a service charge... and NONE of it has to be given to the server.

I would love that actually... then i could split tips with everyone who is responsible for the pleasurable experience to the guest. The chefs, prep people, dishwashers, janitors.....everyone would get part of the tips....not just the server.

:eusa_whistle:

What makes me irate is being ignored. When the server disappears for long periods of time and then when she comes back in the room doesn't even glance at your table to see if you need anything.

What makes me irate is being ignored. When the server disappears for long periods of time and then when she comes back in the room doesn't even glance at your table to see if you need anything.

And just think... they want a mandatory 25% from you time for such service.

That is bullshit in my opinion.

If a server goes out of their way to help you, recommends a dish that you really enjoy, talks you out of a bad choice....I will gladly tip extra

But if all I get is someone to hand me a menu, take my order, drop off the meal and hand me a check...I don't think it is anything special

And I guarantee if you go take a peak at the servers station when that happens, you'll see a group of 'em gathered and yacking about nothing, and bitching about their tip totals, while back in the kitchen they are busting their asses, and grumbling about the line backing up.......I've seen many a line cook go off on servers, and I did it many times myself.

Last edited:

And I guarantee if you go take a peak at the servers station when that happens, youi'll see a group of 'em gathered and yacking about nothing, and bitching about their tip totals.

Now don't get me started.......:lol:

And I guarantee if you go take a peak at the servers station when that happens, youi'll see a group of 'em gathered and yacking about nothing, and bitching about their tip totals.

Now don't get me started.......:lol:
LOL......I amended that post, and added a couple o' things YOU can definitely relate too!:cool:

Forum List

Back