Mail ballots delivered by hand. I didn't know that was a thing, but they may decide the election in Arizona

I understand, but it does not stop the votes being counted, and another site I have been keep up on the bar is The State of Arizona Elections site.
I just listened to the chairman of the Maricopa County Elections board (a Republican, by the way) saying counting will continue with him, the other three Republicans on the board, the Republican and Democrats watchers watching.
I hope your optimism is well placed.

Maybe it is just Hobbs people stalling.

I hope your optimism is well placed.

Maybe it is just Hobbs people stalling.
Doubt it is stalling. It is a lot of things from State laws they have to go by, procedures in place to honor those laws. I said this before, and I will say it again. AZ and NV could take lessons from Florida, the state that drew the attention of the whole country for Fking up the 2000 election. They had no intention of continuing to be the butt of national jokes for their elections, and it looks like they have a handle on it in a state with much larger population. But don't listen to me. I am just a vacationer in 2 out of the three and never been to Nevada in my life.

Or they could just be counting votes and making sure they get it right. LOL
How much you want to bet it's gonna be a repeat of the 2020 election where the same naysayers bitch and moan, start suing and demand multiple recounts?

How much you want to bet it's gonna be a repeat of the 2020 election where the same naysayers bitch and moan, start suing and demand multiple recounts?
The people who started suing were the state's Democrats and election officials to deny any transparency. Tell the truth.

The people who started suing were the state's Democrats and election officials to deny any transparency. Tell the truth.
So the GOP never sued to overturn the election statutes and decertify the Presidential election.
Go to bed. You are still in denial.

This is from MSN, not from Q-whatever.

But the race is hardly decided. Still outstanding are roughly 17,000 in-person Election Day votes, tens of thousands of more mail ballots,

Why in the world would in-person votes cast more than two days before the date/time of the story have not been counted?

and a critical mass of 290,000 mail ballots that were delivered in person on Election Day.

It’s that last batch that appears to have blindsided Maricopa County election officials, who only received roughly 170,000 such ballots in the last presidential election.

Why would they be "blindsided?" That's not even twice as many. It's 120K more of that particular subset of about 2.4 million votes cast. Those votes could not be slowing down the count, because they haven't even started counting them yet.

Handling so many mail ballots submitted on Election Day has thrown an element of chaos into the count, as mailed ballots typically take longer to process and tabulate.

Notice that change of word from the beginning of the sentence to the end of the sentence? Yes, "mailed" ballots take longer, but those 290K are not "mailed" ballots, they are ballots that were dropped off on election day. That kind of slippery wordsplay is what passes for journalistic excellence these days.

Early on Thursday, the campaigns had been expecting that Maricopa County would have tallied much of those 290,000 ballots by that evening. Later in the day, however, officials revealed the counting could stretch into next week.

They're stalling.

But why?

Why would Democrats selected by the Democratic Secretary of state to count the ballots in her own gubernatorial election be stalling the count? If they thought that the rest of the ballots would favor Hobbs, her people would be counting them at breakneck speed, with Katie cracking the proverbial whip.

I wonder why . . .

Both campaigns as well as Arizona political insiders on both sides of the aisle say those 290,000 ballots will likely determine the hotly-contested race between Hobbs, Arizona’s secretary of state, and Lake, a former local TV news anchor.

Republican and Democratic sources expect those votes to lean toward Lake, largely because former President Donald Trump won most of the in-person drop offs two years ago.
They also suspect that a substantial percentage of those voters this time around are Republicans who stayed on the absentee rolls after 2020 but who prefer to deliver their mail ballots in person on Election Day because they don’t trust mailing them in or leaving them in drop boxes.

There's my answer.

“We believe that the vast majority, a huge number of those mail-in ballots that were hand-delivered on Election Day will go our way,” Lake told Fox News on Thursday.

Of course Kari Lake would hope so, she is no more an impartial observer of this election than Katie Hobbs. But the left-center biased MSN does not challenge it in any way. No "experts say that is overly optimistic," no "echoing similar lies by Trump," or any of the other spin the media puts on political stories involving Trump or Trump-backed candidates whenever they can.

So why stall? Best case scenario is that Hobbs knows she's going down and wants time to prepare for a graceful exit. Based on past behavior, the more likely case is that they want the time to seek ways to queer the results, get cases into court, engineer power outages that allow them to cheat unseen, or find a way to stop the count before the dropped-off ballots put Lake over the top.
Guys, let's have all votes in person using photo ID, using manually counted and entered ballots. No early voting. No mail-in voting. Only military using absentee ballots. Let's eliminate all the possibilities for cheating.

Doubt it is stalling. It is a lot of things from State laws they have to go by, procedures in place to honor those laws. I said this before, and I will say it again. AZ and NV could take lessons from Florida, the state that drew the attention of the whole country for Fking up the 2000 election. They had no intention of continuing to be the butt of national jokes for their elections, and it looks like they have a handle on it in a state with much larger population. But don't listen to me. I am just a vacationer in 2 out of the three and never been to Nevada in my life.
I agree about Florida.

I could buy that they are going by the laws and procedures and it just takes a long time, at least as a possibility, in other races in which the count is this slow. But not with Hobbs herself in the Secretary of State job.

Since Florida 2000, it should have been expected, if not mandated, that a Secretary of State running for another office would step down as Secretary of State and allow the governor to appoint another person for that role. Being both a candidate and the senior official in charge of elections is a huge conflict of interest, I don't care what party the person is.

Guys, let's have all votes in person using photo ID, using manually counted and entered ballots. No early voting. No mail-in voting. Only military using absentee ballots. Let's eliminate all the possibilities for cheating.
Yes, those are very reasonable provisions that will disenfranchise virtually no one, and any disenfranchisement caused by something like misplacing of ID on election morning, will not pick people to happen to by race, gender, sexual orientation or political party.

I agree about Florida.

I could buy that they are going by the laws and procedures and it just takes a long time, at least as a possibility, in other races in which the count is this slow. But not with Hobbs herself in the Secretary of State job.

Since Florida 2000, it should have been expected, if not mandated, that a Secretary of State running for another office would step down as Secretary of State and allow the governor to appoint another person for that role. Being both a candidate and the senior official in charge of elections is a huge conflict of interest, I don't care what party the person is.
I see your point. At the same time, I kind of think she might be OK, in that what seems to be the a problem that is slowing it down, is an over work, to make sure there are enough (reasonably logical) checks in place to not only satisfy they laws she didn't write, but to make damn sure a miscount problem does not allow or appear to allow a justified complaint of fraud in the outcome. Good "cover your ass" but tedious as complying with their state laws.
I wonder, how many states have a law in place that would take what you are pointing out, into account and have it codified?

If Masters loses you can directly blame Bitch McConnell who basically gave Masters no money while pissing away $9 million to prop up Murkowski in a race that a Republican was going to win anyway.
Murkowski is not a Republican Lake is,murkowski is a Rino.

Forum List

Back