Mad Men

On the topic of anacronisms in Mad Men - I have noticed that several of the characters will sometimes use the phrase, "Sorry about that."

That (annoying) phrase began with the character of Maxwell Smart in the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," which ran for 5 years from 1965 to 1970. OK, I know that Mad Men is set in the 1960's - but I swear I heard the phrase used in what I am pretty sure were a couple of pre-1965 episodes.

Regardless, "sorry about that" is with us to this day. You hear people use it all the time. It has become a classic, non-apoology, because it trivializes whatever wrong has just been committed and makes it clear that the offending person does not consider what he/she just did as anything that really deserves an apology.

It is currently very near the top of my "most annoying expressions" list, just below "no problem" as a substitute for "you're welcome."

What the heck happened to Bets?

She done and gots herself a bad case of the chubbs.

Watch, Henry will get the Senate seat and she will slim down. Pretty sure that's all padding and makeup. Pretty good though.

Oh, and she somehow got sane too. No more locking Sally in the closet or Betty shooting pigeons. Bummer.

Last edited:
What the heck happened to Bets?

She done and gots herself a bad case of the chubbs.

Watch, Henry will get the Senate seat and she will slim down. Pretty sure that's all padding and makeup. Pretty good though.

Oh, and she somehow got sane too. No more locking Sally in the closet or Betty shooting pigeons. Bummer.

Everyone has gotten too sane this season.

They seem to be compensating for the disjointed, and worse, humorless plot, which has, I see, extended into the 4th episode.

I'm bored.

I need someone to use a lawnmower to run over a snobby Englishman's foot during a Christmas party.

Anyway, the good news is I found a place in Calgary, Earl's Restaurant, that makes a FANTASTIC Old Fashioned. Sadly, for most of you, the only restaurants of the Canadian chain in the USA are in Denver and Bellvue, WA

^ Yup.

I'm tired of Don's angst. He had a crappy childhood, he stole Don Drapper's identity, he screws around on every woman he's ever been with, his face frequently looks like he smells something bad ... yeah, six years and it's getting old.

And why oh WHY don't they use Roger more? Remember in the first few seasons? He was half the show! (it's always darkest before the Dawn over there :lol:) Now? He mumbled something last week. Boo hiss.

^ Yup.

I'm tired of Don's angst. He had a crappy childhood, he stole Don Drapper's identity, he screws around on every woman he's ever been with, his face frequently looks like he smells something bad ... yeah, six years and it's getting old.

And why oh WHY don't they use Roger more? Remember in the first few seasons? He was half the show! (it's always darkest before the Dawn over there :lol:) Now? He mumbled something last week. Boo hiss.

There is one thing that does not get old about Draper: His infinate capacity for hypocracy.

This manifested itself most recently when he found his wife, ACTING IN CHARACTER, having an affair, and was appalled at the behaviour....pretending to be someone she was not FOR MONEY!!!!

No wonder he always appears to be smelling something bad: The stench is from his soul.

BTW: Correct about Roger. I wish they'd do an episode where Roger goes to Bangkok.

^ Yup.

^ Yup.

There is one thing that does not get old about Draper: His infinate capacity for hypocracy.

This manifested itself most recently when he found his wife, ACTING IN CHARACTER, having an affair, and was appalled at the behaviour....pretending to be someone she was not FOR MONEY!!!!

No wonder he always appears to be smelling something bad: The stench is from his soul.

BTW: Correct about Roger. I wish they'd do an episode where Roger goes to Bangkok.

when Don is in his cups and starts getting uber maudlin and confessional, dredging up his childhood etc. , exit visas are imminent.....his 'marriage' is ready to blow....

hes letting himself get hooked on the doctors wife- rinse, repeat...;)

I miss the Mad Men of the first four seasons. I hate that they're entering into the 70's. Gaaa, the fashion is just killing me. U-G-L-Y.

when Don is in his cups and starts getting uber maudlin and confessional, dredging up his childhood etc. , exit visas are imminent.....his 'marriage' is ready to blow....

hes letting himself get hooked on the doctors wife- rinse, repeat...;)

The interesting thing is, he seems to like and respect the doctor,

......so he fucks around with his wife?

Hypocracy; thy name is Don Draper.

Keep in mind, gentlemen, Mad Men is all about consequences. Aren't you interested in seeing the consequences that await Don and many of the other characters for their actions as the show progresses? For me, that is the interesting part.

What the hell was this with Don suddenly becoming the dominating order-giver with the doc's wife? "Stay here. Don't move. Don't call me. Put this on. Take this off. You're not going anywhere." What was that all about? A little (not much, but enough) out of character for Don. It was almost as if he had read something somewhere about heightening his sex life by becoming an authoritarian order-giver, and he thought he would give it a go with his girl friend there. Was he trying to end the affair the only way he knew how?

What the hell was this with Don suddenly becoming the dominating order-giver with the doc's wife? "Stay here. Don't move. Don't call me. Put this on. Take this off. You're not going anywhere." What was that all about? A little (not much, but enough) out of character for Don. It was almost as if he had read something somewhere about heightening his sex life by becoming an authoritarian order-giver, and he thought he would give it a go with his girl friend there. Was he trying to end the affair the only way he knew how?

Maybe Don was just trying to get some hand.

Maybe Don was just trying to get some hand.

Over 40,000 really good comedians out of work, and we get this . . .

George,

The impression I have is Don has a bit of an S streak in his libido and when he detected an M response in the woman he locked on it. Because that transaction seemed to be a classic S&M (master/slave) scenario.

If she hadn't tired of playing and quit, the act might have developed into a full scale B&D (bondage and domination) fantasy and out would come the leather underwear, the handcuffs, the cat-o'-nine tails, etc. Some of those people tend to get really freaky. (I could tell a tale about one I met when I was stationed at Camp LeJeune in the '50s.) :eek:

If that wasn't it I can't imagine what it was about.

What the heck was last night's episode? lol, trippy.

Roger "Why don't you take a nap? Your face looks like a bag of walnuts". :lmao: He cracks me up. They are stupid for so under-utilizing him.

Is Don running from his past, trying to figure it out, or trying to rationalize what he does/the way he is now with his past? His whole sex preoccupation is rooted in his upbringing. Imagine, the mom beats him with a spoon cause he wonked the hooker ... who lives in the house they are living in. Like, duh, what did she expect.

Fat Betty is no longer fat! Or brunette!

At first I thought that the black 'grandmother' was the real Don Draper's relative. Turns out she was a burglar. lol

Overall, another episode that left me perplexed with unanswered questions.

I used to love DD ... even his womanizing, philandering ways. Now? I find him more and more offputting. Instead of the brilliant ad-man he is coming across (to me, anyway) more as arrogant and on his high-horse ... he seems to see others as being 'down there'. Anyone else get a sense of that from him?

Who else misses the good old days of drinking on the job and calling in the "doctor" to give a shot of speed? :lol:

I don't get why critics like this show.

The only reason I like to watch it is to look at Christine Hendricks and play with myself.

On the topic of anacronisms in Mad Men - I have noticed that several of the characters will sometimes use the phrase, "Sorry about that."

That (annoying) phrase began with the character of Maxwell Smart in the 1960's television series, "Get Smart," which ran for 5 years from 1965 to 1970. OK, I know that Mad Men is set in the 1960's - but I swear I heard the phrase used in what I am pretty sure were a couple of pre-1965 episodes.

Regardless, "sorry about that" is with us to this day. You hear people use it all the time. It has become a classic, non-apoology, because it trivializes whatever wrong has just been committed and makes it clear that the offending person does not consider what he/she just did as anything that really deserves an apology.

It is currently very near the top of my "most annoying expressions" list, just below "no problem" as a substitute for "you're welcome."

It was our troops in Veit Nam who took "sorry 'bout that" from Get Smart and made it part of the venacular of the late 60s.

And yes, the phase was nearly always used ironically as a way of saying NOT sorry bout that

Reminds me of my HS's class of 65 whose slogan was "Ask me if I care" meaning ironically...I do NOT care

Forum List

Back