Mad Men

Season 5 was the best! I hope Don goes back to his old ways! Which, by the last 2 minutes, he might be..

You know, I'm tempted to just start the series over from season one, since I've missed so much.

On sundays on the AMC channel, I think re-runs starts at 5, in order. Do not know where it is at right now, but worth checking out

This is one of the things I like the most about MM - the way they constantly show how different the social mores were back in the 50's and early 60's. Everyone smokes up a storm. This plastic bag scene is CLASSIC. Did you catch the scene where the Draper family goes on a picnic in a lovely park and, when it's over, they just leave their trash lying there on the grass? They drink more booze than water. Women are treated as second class citizens except when it comes to sex.

Boy, how times have changed . . . .

Exactly. Like when Joan's husband raped her on the office floor because he could.

:eusa_eh:

I don't believe that scene was to demonstrate typical social behaviour.

This is one of the things I like the most about MM - the way they constantly show how different the social mores were back in the 50's and early 60's. Everyone smokes up a storm. This plastic bag scene is CLASSIC. Did you catch the scene where the Draper family goes on a picnic in a lovely park and, when it's over, they just leave their trash lying there on the grass? They drink more booze than water. Women are treated as second class citizens except when it comes to sex.

Yes, no one wears seat belts, everyone seems to be drinking WHILE driving...The smoking....THE SMOKING! Pregnate women, their doctors, people in elevators....made my skin crawl.

HOWEVER.

Everyone appears perfectly groomed in tailored clothes.

Exactly. Like when Joan's husband raped her on the office floor because he could.

:eusa_eh:

I don't believe that scene was to demonstrate typical social behaviour.

And I do. Women were property then. Men could do with them as they saw fit.

I've noticed that Mad Men is popular mainly with older people while younger viewers dismiss it as an irrelevant soap opera, which supports your observation. I enjoy it because of those familiar evocations; the smoking, booze, the clothes, social attitudes, etc.

You know, I'm tempted to just start the series over from season one, since I've missed so much.

So get this - the DVD's arrived a couple of days ago. Last night, I thought I would watch the last episode of Season 4, even though I had already seen it, just to get a good start on watching the start of Season 5. I play the last episode of Season 4. It's the one where Don goes to California with his kids and takes his secretary along to watch over the kids while Don attends to business. Wait a minute - they (Don and his secretary) weren't even married at this point, and I have seen a number of episodes where they ARE married.

So this morning, I put Disk 1 of the DVD series in and, after wading through what seemed like several hours of flipping commercials and hype, I finally got to episode 1 of Season 5. It's the one that starts out with the young ad guys dropping water bombs on the group of black protesters several stories down on the street. Seen that. On to episode 2. Seen that. Episode 3 - that's where Betty finds out she has a lump on her thyroid. Seen that.

At this point, I am thinking, WTF? Looks like, one way or another (first run or rerun) I DID see many of the episodes of Season 5. I will go through the DVD episode by episode. There HAVE to be at least a couple of episodes I missed. 38 bucks, down the drain. Grrrrr!

In Episode 3, Season 5, we see that Betty has become very, very fat. As I recall, this is the first episode where she is depicted as being so chubby.
There is one scene where she gets out of a bathtub and the camera shows her back. She's HUGE. She's got the double chin, the fat face, the whole nine yards.

How did they do that? I'm sure the actress herself didn't actually put on all that weight, yet it looks so real. Expert makeup artists? Shrewd camera work? A double?

(I really don't like Betty. Didn't from the get go.)

Soaps for dopes. I find it incredible that the notoriously non-focused pop-culture can follow an adult serialized drama. It should be noted that each episode costs close to 3 million dollars to produce.

I love this show and am watching reruns until April 7th when season 6 is supposed to air.

George, season 5 is available for streaming at Amazon. $1.99 an ep. It was awesome. I loved the cliffhanger and I say, "he will." :eek:

In Episode 3, Season 5, we see that Betty has become very, very fat. As I recall, this is the first episode where she is depicted as being so chubby.
There is one scene where she gets out of a bathtub and the camera shows her back. She's HUGE. She's got the double chin, the fat face, the whole nine yards.

How did they do that? I'm sure the actress herself didn't actually put on all that weight, yet it looks so real. Expert makeup artists? Shrewd camera work? A double?

She was, in reality, pregnant.

No. Really? Are you sure of that or are you just guessing?

Edit note: I did some Googling. Looks like her chubbiness was due to POST-birth weight gain.

http://www.huliq.com/10061/mad-mens-betty-draper-fat-or-fat-suit

Do you have other information?

Last edited:

No. Really? Are you sure of that or are you just guessing?

If I were guessing, I would have said that, George.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...line-concealing-January-Joness-pregnancy.html

Last edited:
Watched the first episode - interesting. Will watch more.
I was born in 1965, so obviously the time period is before my time - however the large gap between women and men and the treatment of women in the workplace when I began my career in the late 80's was still similar to how it was in this show, just not quite as blatant. It was nothing for guys to comment all kinds of sexual innuendos to "office girls" back then (80's)....not now.

Soaps for dopes. I find it incredible that the notoriously non-focused pop-culture can follow an adult serialized drama. It should be noted that each episode costs close to 3 million dollars to produce.

Why should we note the production cost per episode?

Watched the first episode - interesting. Will watch more.
I was born in 1965, so obviously the time period is before my time - however the large gap between women and men and the treatment of women in the workplace when I began my career in the late 80's was still similar to how it was in this show, just not quite as blatant. It was nothing for guys to comment all kinds of sexual innuendos to "office girls" back then (80's)....not now.

Actually, the show protrays much more sexism than innuendo...you'll see: The behaviours toward women were astonishingly appalling....almost Clintonesque.

Both Betty and Peggy get fat for different reasons: With Betty, the purpose seems to be to develop the plot around how bored she becomes after....um.....
:eusa_shhh:
Ok I won't spoil anything.

Forum List

Back