Love and Typhoid

Autodidact_33

Jan 10, 2013
Canada
Love and Typhoid

by Matthew Bissonnette

New York city during the winter of 1915 as this metropolis and all of America was riding a tide of change as new technologies became more common; things like electricity and even automobiles had begun to become commonplace though horse drawn carriages could still be on seen pulling their passengers amongst these new mechanical innovations such as cars on the streets of New York. Skyscrapers, towers of concrete and glass loomed over the snow strewn streets as snow fell from the sky. Within the city though was New York's Sloane hospital for women in a rundown area of the city; an older building which tended to women who where ill; it seem somewhat of a gloomy and foreboding place. As night began to fall, janitor Nathan Dowd walked towards the front doors since his shift was about to begin.
Nathan was a slim man who was still young but had prematurely gray hair; he had thick spectacles over his eyes and he whore gray overalls. He was late for his shift but was not concerned since he worked while everyone else in the hospital was either asleep or to busy tending to their duties to notice his lateness. But his mind was not on work, he had finally worked up the nerve to talk to a woman he had wanted to speak with for nearly a month.
He walked through the darkened empty hallways as his footsteps made clomping noises on the marble floor which echoed through the sterile halls, floors he spent most nights mopping. Right now his mind was not on work but on what he would say to her. A few months before; a petite woman of his age had joined the kitchen staff. She had dark brunette curls and equally dark eyes which he noticed seemed far to weary and worn for a young woman. She, like him, just tended to her duties and seemed to barely speak to anyone. No one else at the hospital took much notice of her, but Nathan found her to be a mysterious enigma. But he had been unable to approach her because he found being eloquent with the fairer sex was never easy for him. Though now he had to know more about this mystery which he had become enamored with.
Nathan then entered the kitchen and was glad to find her there, inside a large space full of stoves and other implements for the preparation of food, large pots and pans hung from hooks along one wall. The woman, dressed in white apron and a dark, drab dress was scrubbing a dirty pot in the sink and he look at her from behind and tried to find the nerve to speak.
He then nervously said, “Mary, mind if we talk?”
She did not stop scrubbing the pot but replied, “what do you want Mr. Dowd and why do you want to talk to me?”
He explained, “I've seen you working her for the past few months, and I must confess, I for awhile have wanted to get to know you.”
She stopped briefly and looked over her shoulder at him then returned to scrubbing the pot; when she had looked at him she was frowning. She then said, “if our employers find you and I not tending to our duties then we both might be standing in a breadline soon.”
Nathan turned to leave and said, “I guess an attractive woman like you would not want to speak to a man such as myself.”
She then stopped again, turned and looked at him quizzically. “Is that genuine flattery or are you playing a joke on a worn, beaten down woman?”
Nathan looked at her again and briefly smiled. “No, you seem very dark but also very mysterious and fetching. I admit I have been pondering about you Mary for more then a month. Everyone else in this hospital I have pretty much figured out; everyone but you. You seem like you don't fit in here.”
She told him, “lately, I have not fit in anywhere and I move around a lot. Why are you interested in me Mr. Dowd really?”
He then was honest. “From your eyes, I can tell that you are someone who is sorrowful. My life has not been easy, growing up in an orphanage and working one low paying job after another with barely enough money to feed myself. I see those eyes every time I look into the mirror.”
She then seemed to stare at him then briefly smiled for a moment. She then said, “I see those eyes when I look into the mirror to; eyes that have witnessed all the hardship and grief life contains for people like us.”
“May I ask what your tail of hardship and grief is Mary?”
She returned to scrubbing the pot as she explained, “that is something which I could never tell another soul; but I kind of am starting to like you Mr. Dowd so I will just say that some people are looking for me; and they say I'm dangerous to be around.”
Nathan should have been concerned when she said that, but he only became more enraptured with her. He asked, “why you fleeing? So you won't be imprisoned for a crime you did not commit?”
“No,” she explained, “people around me get sick, that is why I keep to myself.”
Then Nathan finally worked up the nerve to ask her what he wanted to ask since he first spoke to her. “Mary, would you like to have dinner with me?”
She did not look at him as she replied, “have you not been listening, getting close to me could be perilous for for health and your life.”
Nathan just looked at her as he explained, “I have been with few women whom I never could understand, but since I first saw the sadness in your eyes I knew I met someone who like me lived a hard life without much joy. Also, I've always been a healthy guy so I'll take my chances.”
Mary was silent as she scrubbed the pot and Nathan was sure her silence was her indication that she did not share his interest in getting to know one another better. He lowered his head and was saddened when she blurted out, “OK, tomorrow night we'll have dinner at your place.”
He smiled and said, “thanks, I was afraid I would spend another night alone; eating at an empty table with no company.”
She did not look at him but said, “we can talk later; now we have to tend to our duties.”
He nodded then left, overjoyed that she had reciprocated his interest. But when she was alone she whispered to herself, “Mary, he is going to regret getting to know you and he seems nice, so you should have declined for his sake.” She then looked over her shoulder at the door. “But I need to speak with someone, and he seems like a sad soul as well.”
Then she continued scrubbing the pot.

The next evening.
In the Bronx, inside a dilapidated tenement was the apartment of Nathan Dowd; which consisted of only a large room with a kitchenette and a door to a small bathroom. A couch was along one side and a bed lay before the only window. A phonograph was on a small nightstand beside the couch. The walls where covered with pealing yellow wallpaper. And in the center of the room was a small table which Nathan and Mary sat up; he in a cheap brown suit and she still in her dark dress.
They ate the meager dinner he had prepared in silence, barely having talked at all since she arrived. She looked down at her plate, spaghetti upon it; and he would occasionally steel a glance of her.
Between bites, she suddenly asked, “Mr. Dowd, may I ask you something?”
He replied, “call me Nathan, and ask me anything Mary.”
“Nathan,” she said, “last night it sounded like you implied that you have lived a difficult life. Would you mind telling me of some of you troubles?”
“Why would you like to know Mary?”
She told him, “just curious really.”
He put down his fork then sighed, he then explained, “I never knew my parents; I was left at the city orphanage at the age of four. The mistress who ran it was cruel, especially to me; I still have a few old scars to remember her cruelty. So at fourteen I ran away; and lived on the streets until I found work several years later. Since then I have had many jobs, none have ever withstood the test of time. And all my life, I have been alone.”
Mary said, “last night you mentioned some women you have known.”
Nathan frowned and looked away as he glumly replied, “there was one who I loved dearly; yet she left me for a man who I thought was my friend. And he had a torrid affair with her for a month and threw her away. I wanted to spend my life with that woman and make her happy, this friend only wanted her for a month. Afterward, I decided I would never trust anyone again.”
Mary looked at him and seemed saddened. “I guess for people like us, life is cruel and unfair; almost as if it hates us and wants only to make us suffer.”
Nathan looked at her and asked, “how has life been cruel to you Mary?”
Mary's eyes seemed to glisten as if on the verge of tears. She then told her tail.
“I won't tell you of my life before it happened. But once I was just an ordinary woman, but then people around me became ill, a few even died. I have an illness which does not make me ill, but only makes those around me ill. I lost everyone for whom I cared and then a doctor came, he said I was a carrier for some disease which I myself was immune to but those around me where not. He wanted me to be imprisoned, he used the word quarantined though I do not understand what that word means. He intended that I spend the rest of my life in a hospital. So I fled in the night and changed my name, though once he called me Typhoid Mary. I'm cursed Nathan and I should be locked away; I put those around me at risk. But I can't spend the rest of my life alone in a room. I know I am guilty of a crime by not turning myself in, and could kill somebody again by being near them. But I can't do it; I can't give up the sweet gift of being free. Oh, Nathan; I am cursed really.”
Then she began to shed tears and Nathan just looked at her in in silence. She then got up and walked towards the door, but he rose from his chair and took her hand and she turned to face him and said, “I like you even though we have shared few words, but I could kill you Nathan.”
He brushed the tears away from her cheek with his hand. He then said, “Mary, happiness is something always denied me for some reason; but when I first looked into your eyes I knew those where eyes which sees the world as mine does; a world dreary and bereft of joy. But right now, though we just really met; I feel like I found someone who I know more then anybody. I'll take the risk and damn the consequences.”
She was looking into his eyes when she asked, “why risk your life for time with a woman who is cursed?”
He then lifted her chin up with his hand and smiled, “because you need somebody who cares about you; and even if it means peril for me; I want to spend some time with you. Wait there.”
He then went from her and walked to the phonograph, he used the crank and put the needle down on the record. A slow yet beautiful song bellowed from it as she looked at him. He then slowly walked towards her and took one of her hands and placed his other hand on her hip and she did the same. Then they began to dance as she rested her head on his shoulder.
She muttered, “thank you, I have not been close to someone for so long Nathan.”
Nathan replied, “Mary, we have just started to know one another; but I care for you. And even if being with you means a few weeks instead of a long life; a few weeks with you Mary means more to me then a long life alone. I have to confess something.”
“What?”
“I love you, I know it sounds foolish since we first talked only yesterday; but I feel more for you then I have anyone. Please, let me try and make you happy; despite any curse or illness; let us just be happy together.”
They looked into each others eyes for a moment then he kissed her slowly. Then she again rested her head on his shoulder and they danced.
She softly whispered, “thank you, I have been so alone.”
He replied, “you will never be alone while I'm here.”
They continued to dance in silence as the night went on.

A day in Manhattan the following spring.
In a city hospital, Nathan lay alone in a bed in a small white room with only one window. He was in a green hospital gown and was coughing and sweating profusely. He had been alone since the hospital staff kept contact to a minimum out of fear of his illness. Then the door opened and a man walked in.
He was a older man with a pencil thin mustache, gray hair and in a gray suit. He then approached the bed and looked down at Nathan.
“Mr. Dowd, where is Mary?”
Nathan coughed hardly and spat up some blood. He looked away and mumbled, “I don't know who you mean.”
The man firmly said, “I know you where close with her; the woman the papers are calling Typhoid Mary. You don't have long left; you have to help me find her. I have searched for her since she escaped my care.”
Nathan looked at him and frowned. “I won't help you find her. My memory has not be so good since I became ill, so I will be of little help to you.”
The man grunted and shook his head. “You foolish bastard, she killed you; do you know that.”
Nathan briefly smiled. “I was more alive those few weeks with her then any other time during my whole life. So please, go away for I will tell you nothing.”
The man seemed upset but left the room silently. Once he was gone, Nathan looked to the blue sky outside the window and smiled; even though he was near his end he was not afraid.
He said lowly, “Mary, I shall miss you.”
Nathan then closed his eyes knowing his demise approached, yet he felt no regret.

I am also a story writer.

But I specialize in fiction.

This is from a series of short stories I am writing.

Warriors of the Past: Chapter One

He sits, staring off into an oblivion known as his past. Kaien Valiran, a veteran of many wars; recalls the yesterdays of battles past. His royal heritage. Of all the friends who had now come and gone, remembering the comrades who fought and died by his side. Kaien was once one of the most fierce and legendary warriors in the land, a great general and tactician. But he longs to find that one man of whom he can pass his knowledge on to. At present he now lives life in peace, in relative obscurity, married to the woman he loves in the land of Shentunok.

"Kaien?" His wife beckons, "KAIEN?"

"Yes, Laraina my wife, what is it?"

"Are you alright?" asking in a concerned voice, "You were crying just now. Do you want to talk to me about it honey?"

Kaien starts wiping the tears from his eyes, setting down the shot-glass he was drinking out of. "Oh, no. It's nothing, my dear. How is dinner coming along, Lara?"

"It will be ready soon hon. I will go and finish up."

He had wept, for the one friend he cared for the most, a little boy who came up to him forty years ago today, as a matter of fact, wanting to learn how to be just like him. An orphan who lost his entire family during the brutal Lyran wars. The child wanted to be a great warrior just like him. Kaien had recalled on that day that he had no time for children, the burdens of being royalty were enough for him. Commanding his troops in battle and training raw cadets in the Shentunok fighting styles was all he cared about. He had his own people to care for, his own agenda.

Once again, Kaien returned to his memories.

"That's it, I've had it!" Kaien growled to himself. “I'm going to let father have it. He has rejected me for the last time!” He was headed for Base Pantheon, hoping to convince his father there to let him take some promising cadets under his wing for his own elite unit the King allowed him to form. But as many times before, his father had rejected his requests.

All the meanwhile, a child was in an alleyway with his friends, who were snickering as they had just put him up to a challenge. "If you can pick that general's pocket without him noticing you, we'll let you in. Go! Take his money!" They all began watching Kaien intently, chuckling nervously as he passed them by. The boy had been just hours before fantasizing about the great General Valiran from the stories his parents told him, about how he distinguished himself in front of the king during the war. The boy snapped back to reality, and saw his chance to pounce.

He left the alleyway and began stalking the stranger, hiding behind vehicles as he went along. Then the moment came. "The guy doesn't have a clue!" the boy thought to himself. He reached for the stranger's coin purse, only to be blown back by a large gust of wind. He had been caught. The man took hold of the child's wrist in one hand and spun around with his pistol in the other.

"Hey mister! What’s your name?" a small high pitched voice nervously asked. Kaien had been startled, he whipped around expecting a mugger or a pickpocket. He fumbled for his pistol but only caught glimpse of a child. He was only 10 years old, wearing tattered clothing, with no shoes on his feet. He was abnormally tall and muscular for his age, but had a strange but yet courageous aura about him. Kaien loosened his grip on the child's arm. The child dared not attempt to run from an elite Shentunok General, knowing that he would be caught again in an instant.

"Who wants to know kid? And it isn't 'hey you' by the way," Kaien quipped.

"My friends do, mister! We all do!" The child exclaimed, as he jumped around on the snow covered ground. Kaien was not a social man, his eyes were always focused on the tasks at hand, and not on distractions such as this young child before him. Kaien was intent on seeing his father before he left for the palace, not dealing with wannabe thieves in the slums. He wasn't about to waste his time.

"Beat it kid!" he ordered. Kaien then shoved the boy aside, continuing on his way. "If I catch you in these streets again picking pockets, little one, I will not hesitate to teach you a lesson you won't soon forget." This boy was of Lyran blood and of another race he could not identify. He, however, did not wish to be caught consorting with children of the enemy.

He started to walk away, this time, more briskly than before. But no sooner had he taken his first steps did the boy return, tugging on his trench coat; this time begging to know his name. The boy tried one last time to make with the stranger's coin purse, and failed once again.

"I told you to beat it, kid! I'm warning you!" Kaien yelled, this time shoving the boy to the ground.

Kaien turned back around to once again proceed on his way. But as he turned his eyes back to check if the child had gone, instead Kaien saw him sitting quietly on the ground with tears streaming down his face, staring at the frozen ground.

"Why does everyone run away from me? Please come back, mister! I..I don't want to be alone anymore. My friends think I'm weak. I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" The boy began to reach out pleadingly with his hands. “I need the money mister, I don't want to die out here!”

He hated kids. But then Kaien was reminded of himself at this boy's age, so he gave in. Kaien oftentimes forgot that his being a general was not always required outside of the palace, and that mercy was rare, but not unheard of amongst Shentunok warriors. The child's desperate gaze tore through Kaien for some reason. He turned back around, heading back towards the child, who had by now begun to shiver from the cold. The child's eyes could barely look up with his head, his body wracked with weakness and months of malnourishment. Kaien stopped in front of the boy and he picked him up off of the ground.

Kaien gazed intently into Charlie's deep blue eyes, draping his trench coat around him. "If you really want to know kid, my name is Kaien, Kaien Valiran; what’s yours?"

"Charles Tienok, Mister Kaien."

By now, his friends had fled in fear when they discovered who this man was.

Kaien carried Charlie to a nearby stoop and sat. "It's Kaien, kid, just Kaien."

“Wait! What about my friends?!” Charlie cried out. “Those were your friends? Kaien replied, “So they put you up to this? Well, they aren’t friends you should stick around with, then. They’ll tick off the wrong soldier and not live to tell the tale. I know some of my men wouldn’t hesitate to kill you for stealing.”

"Mother told me a lot of stories about you, about how you helped save the king from the Lyrans! Can you teach me to be strong like that?”

"I tell you what kid, er Charlie, where is your mother anyways?"

Charles started to cry. "She died a few months ago," he replied. "Lyran-Kataanian Allied Counterinsurgents. They took her away and killed her.”

Caught off guard by the child's response, he asked "What about your father?"
"He died too. He went after the men who killed her, he wanted uhh reti—uh rati.. retri--," he paused trying to search for words, at last giving up. "He wanted to hurt them back for hurting her. They killed him too."

"Damned terrorists!" Kaien replied. “What did they want with your mother, boy?”

“I don’t know, mister! Charles responded. “I just miss them. It’s hard living life out here without them.”

Kaien was a killer, a soldier, a General; not a father. He wanted nothing to do with the boy. But then he remembered his own childhood, and what his mother had once told him. "Defend the helpless, give faith to those who are without hope, just like your father did before you."

He sighed deeply with a scornful look on his face "Alright boy, come on. I will teach you. But I warn you, if you step out of line, I will put you back where I found you-- or worse."

That was 40 years ago. Kaien smiled and returned himself to the real world. Then he heard someone knocking. Laraina walked to the door and opened it. A strong, tall muscular man was there to greet her. "Oh my, who might you be young man?"

“Is your husband home, ma’am?” Laraina was puzzled. “Well, yes he is. I didn’t catch your—“
“Deion, the man replied. I’m sure your husband may remember that name. Is he here?” Laraina was breathtaken. She knew who this Deion was, from the stories Kaien had told her.
"There is a man here to see you" Laraina said. "He says he knows you. He says he goes by the name of Deion." He walked over to Kaien, as Laraina covered her mouth in disbelief. Kaien's eyes widened...
"Deion?! No, that name! It can’t be! This is impossible!" he thought to himself. Deion happened to be Charlie's call-sign back in the war. "Charlie? Is that really you? No no... I watched you die that day! You can’t be alive!” Kaien blurted. He was being assaulted by memories of a day he wanted to forget, this encounter was opening up age old wounds in his soul.

"No. That was Charles. My father. I am Deion, his son. Deion Tienok. I understand you two fought together in the war? Well, that’s what my mother has been telling me, at least. She dug up some old declassified records from Shentunok Intelligence and found your profile. But she wouldn’t tell me anything else about you. I was just told I could find you here, General Valiran.” Kaien smirked, then scoffed. “I have not gone by ‘General Valiran’ for 14 years. It’s just Kaien now. I’ve retired. This is my wife, Laraina Valiran, whom I met while I was commanding the Shentunok Army during the second Lyran War.”

An awkward silence filled the room, the two stared at one another. Kaien was gazing at a specter of his past, face to face.

And Chapter 2 for a little background.

WARRIORS OF THE PAST: CHAPTER TWO

Kaien stood there, stunned. It wasn't Charles, but someone claiming to be his son.

Kaien was rattled to the core, Charlie had a son. And he never once spoke of him. They both were too busy fighting the Kataanians to have children. In fact, they were forbidden to engage in romantic relationships with any of the civilian populations on either side, express orders from the Family of War and High Command.

"What's wrong, Kaien?" Deion asked, "Are you feeling okay?"

He snapped out of his trance. "Yes, I'm fine boy. Just a little shaken."

"Shaken? About what?" Deion inquired.

They walked into the kitchen and sat down, as Laraina prepared them dinner. She was still taken aback by what had happened just a couple of hours before. She looked on apprehensively as the two continued on. "Shaken...” Kaien paused, "Because your father had a son and he never told me." He wasn't supposed t-"

And then an eerie silence fell between them, Deion looked nervous. He was shaking all over. Kaien noticed, his father shivered in that same way, with that same look on his face. Deion's food lain untouched. At last, he worked up the courage to explain. He looked Kaien in the eyes.

"That is… because I am half Kataanian." Deion interrupted, with his voice quivering. My father hid me from you, from your Family of War and from High Command. When he died, that task fell to my mother."

"And where is your mother? What is her name, son?" He wanted to get to the bottom of this. This was getting more unsettling by the moment, and it was going against everything he was taught in his days as a soldier.

Deion was visibly upset, "I don't want to talk about it."

Kaien had to restrain himself. He was enraged and disappointed that Charlie would disobey orders; but then again he was impressed the he could keep his son a secret from both him and High Command, whose intelligence gathering and scouting abilities were incomparable in these parts.

"I see." Kaien sighed. Somehow, he now felt responsible for this. "I should have been watching Charlie more closely! Now look at this, our peoples aren't supposed to interbreed!! I must find this woman!"

"Deion, we need to talk." He decided to share his painful past with him.

"I was deployed along with your father when the Lyran-Kataanian war broke out twenty years ago. Our orders were to kill. We as men were not allowed to fall in love or have any children." He paused for thought, "But as you can see young man, when you win your battles; the rewards are beyond compare." Kaien said as he flagged Laraina down and kissed her.

He had long since retired from the fighting profession, and was mired in middle age. But he still longed to pass on his skills to someone. He wanted to pass on his knowledge; and Deion, although he was half Kataanian, would love to see and learn from the man his father, Charlie fought with. Deion however, didn't seem to be interested in that now.

Kaien continued. "Your father snuck up behind me when I was in my twenties, he was barely ten years of age, and he had tried to pick my pockets. He just lost his parents to Lyran Insurgents. Charles told me of the tragedy that befell them and pleaded with me to teach him the Shentunok fighting style. I almost had him arrested for trying to steal from me. I am glad I didn't. It took twenty years but, he learned. We trained tirelessly. He was almost as good as I was before he died. On the day we were celebrating our supposed victory in the war however, like fools, we didn't know that the Kataanians and Lyrans had decided to strike one last time."

He stopped, he could not bear to tell the rest of the story. His eyes were welling up with tears and his stomach was tied in knots. "He was like a son to me." Kaien took a few more swigs of the Aennsharian Whiskey he had been drinking earlier.

Deion could tell it was painful for him. Laraina had already sat down with them to eat, but she listened in, and was in tears also. Nobody ate. As dusk fell, Deion returned home, while Kaien and Laraina both settled in for the night. Later that night as Kaien laid in bed, he recalled the day Charlie died; the part he couldn’t tell Deion.

The Shentunok-Kataanian war was presumed to be over, and the Family of War was recalling its forces in victory. He and Charlie both had fought hard and long during the war. Ceremonies ensued, promotions were given out and speeches were given by long winded dignitaries. Joy was plentiful, Kaien himself had just been promoted to Supreme General of the Ten Guard Battalion, and had just fallen in love with Laraina that day. Charlie couldn't wait to go home. Then the Kataanians struck from the hills around the palace. Kaien, Charlie, and Laraina all ran, evading gunfire and laser fire. Charlie, or Deion as he was known to his platoon, was called away to help protect the King along with his squad. What Kaien heard on his communicator next, scarred him for the rest of his life:

In pain and breathing heavily, Charlie said, "Sorry Kai, my teacher, I won, and then I lost. The King is safe, the Shentunok can live in peace now." Kaien rushed to Charlie's side and held his wounded body in his arms. "The King got away Kai, I stayed behind to make sure he was safe." Charlie had covered a null-void grenade with his body, the armor protected everything from the explosion except the area where his heart was.

With the last few breaths of life Charlie struggled to say, "If a boy comes to you one day and wants to be a warrior, think of what you did for me, Kai… I will always be by your side." And with that his body went limp and he died.

Kaien let out a guttural scream of rage and disgust… “NO!!! CHARLIE NO!!!!!! CHARLIE?!” With tears streaming down his face Kaien exclaimed: "I WILL AVENGE YOU! I WILL MAKE THE KATAANIANS PAY FOR WHAT THEY HAVE DONE!!"

Kaien drew all of the power he had from within himself, uttering an ancient ceremonial phrase, "Konatiaon hear my plea, and grant me your power and your blade, so I may defend my people from their enemies and make them cower in fear before me, may your retribution be swift and may my hands do thy bidding!" Suddenly a beam of light shown down from the yellow sky, enveloping Kaien where he stood. The ground shook and Kaien emerged glowing with the light of ten thousand suns. He let out a gargantuan scream, which sent shockwaves throughout the battlefield. With one swing of his blade, he laid waste to half of the invading forces. His power was the combined strength of Shentunokan Gods. He showed no mercy, not to the medics, not to anyone. The Kataanians and the Lyrans both retreated, never to return to Shentunok for the next 20 years. The immense well of power dissipated and Kaien broke down to his knees, with his last words before he collapsed unconscious he said, "What have I become? Charles I have shamed you. I beg of you please… to forgive me."

Kaien was awake the entire night. The screen on the computer terminal next to the bed began to blink, there was a communique from Charlie’s widow:

And it read:

Dear Kaien, My name is Sinah. You might not know me, but my husband Charles fought with you 20 years ago during the war. Deion is my son, I gave birth to him on the day Charles sacrificed his life to save the King from the Kataanians and Lyrans. He held you in very high regard, and he told me stories of his childhood; of the times you helped him learn everything about what it took to become a warrior. He went on about how you nearly arrested him for stealing, he says that was the best show of mercy any Shentunok citizen could have given him. You gave him a second chance. Please don’t hate me for being Kataanian, I know he violated a direct order, but… we both wanted the war to end peacefully, we wanted to live in peace with our son. Although, when he performed his duty to the utmost that day; those hopes vanished. I beg you, take Deion under your wing, teach him to be the great man and warrior that my husband was, and that you were. Oh and how is your wife doing? I hear she's quite the cook from what Deion tells me. We were good friends back then, but after Charles died, we grew apart. Let her know I found a great recipe for Maleron Rye Bread which a Rinntoan Monk in the Maleron Mountains gave to me. Feel free to drop by and see Deion today if you wish.

-Sinah Tienok

Once again, Kaien was outraged, not only did Charlie mate with this woman, he married her. He was going to have to have a serious talk with Laraina when she awoke. But Kaien had no choice, that morning, he went to the place where Sinah and Deion lived. He went inside, there, Sinah and Deion were; staring at pictures they took together with Charles. Without warning, Kaien spoke. "Charlie would be proud of you Sinah, I know I would be." She looked up to him with joyous tears in her eyes and smiled. Kaien then placed his hand on Deion's shoulder. "I will teach him, Sinah, he will be one of the greatest and most respected warriors in Shentunok."

Deion stood up and embraced Kaien, and started asking him a thousand questions. Sinah then said, "Go on, I will be here, I have faith in you two. Train well, and make Charles proud. Oh, and give this recipe to Laraina, tell her it’s 20 years late, but it’s what she wanted that day. We had planned to visit the Rinntoan Monks on the day they attacked. There’s also a recipe for a special brew invented by the monks in that for you, too, Valiran. You may like it.”
“Run along, now. And have Deion back before dark, Kaien.”
And with Sinah's blessing, they both walked out of the past and into the future.

Forum List

Back