Losing the Sky...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Some Missourians believe the state is in danger of losing an important natural resource. It’s something we only experience at night—-but not everywhere.
In many places it is never darkest before the dawn—because it’s never dark. Hundreds of thousands of Missourians live in places where they cannot see the night sky because of the amount of light in their neighborhoods.
<SNIP>
“Most people in urban areas have never seen the Milky Way,” he says, “I had a jaw-dropping event with one of my classes. I had a woman come up to me after the classes and say ‘Would you show my daughter a star?’”

READ MORE

Losing the sky

I live roughly 30 miles from Springfield, MO and I must travel another 40 mile to get a clear view of the sky.
Even at that distance there is still a obvious light domes from Springfield and other smaller towns evident on the horizon.
How much power is wasted in the attempt to turn night into day?
I understand that there is a ever present need for security, but there is an equally important need to expose ourselves and especially our children to the wonders of the natural world.
The humble beginnings of my love for Astronomy began lying on a lawn chair in my backyard mapping and learning the constellations, finding Jupiter and it's four brightest moons with my Dad's beat up 7x35 field glasses and imagining how many stars it took to create the silver cloud of the milky way.
Today children ask "please show me a star."
It's nice to see the Missouri legislature attempt to implement policies to rectify this situation.

Last edited:
Those darn liberal science lovers....

Seeing a star does not make them any money.

First...liberals don't enjoy a monopoly on those who love science.
Second...seeing the stars as a child CAN lead to a career in science where they can enjoy a good living in an exciting field of discovery.

Those darn liberal science lovers....

Seeing a star does not make them any money.

First...liberals don't enjoy a monopoly on those who love science.
Second...seeing the stars as a child CAN lead to a career in science where they can enjoy a good living in an exciting field of discovery.

Ohh I know that and fully agree. It is however no longer the American Way.

Growing up in very rural areas, I saw the glory of the night skys every clear night. Living in urban areas in my career, I missed that constantly. When I retire, I am going to buy a place back in Eastern Oregon, and a good telescope, and once again enjoy the night sky.

It is sad that most of the children of our nation cannot see a clear night sky. One without light or smoke pollution. A night sky so clear and bright that you lose the constellations because so many stars are visable. A night sky in which even a dim comet is visible. And a bright one has a visable tail halfway across the sky. Our children and grand children have had a wonder of our universe denied them.

I've been fortunate enough to move from an area with millions to an area with a few thousand. I used to have to travel 60 miles to get to some dark skies, but still the domes of light from LA, and from Vegas.
Now I just go to the backyard, set up my Celestron 8" and look at the globs, and the nebulas. I have learned so much from the changing of the seasons, and the changes in the sights. Right now, the Orion nebula is in full bloom and in a couple of months the globs will be the big show.
Since I was a kid, I have always had a passion for the stars, and I still feel like a kid, when I have the scope on the tripod.

Last edited:
I've been fortunate enough to move from an area with millions to an area with a few thousand. I used to have to travel 60 miles to get to some dark skies, but still the domes of light from LA, and from Vegas.
Now I just go to the backyard, set up my Celestron 8" and look at the globs, and the nebulas. I have learned so much from the changing of the seasons, and the changes in the sights. Right now, the Orion nebula is in full bloom and in a couple of months the globs will be the big show.
Since I was a kid, I have always had a passion for the stars, and I still feel like a kid, when I have the scope on the tripod.

hey....i know a guy who has a Celestron 8".....nice scope.....

Yeah? Did he ever take you out to check out the dark skies, with it?

Yeah? Did he ever take you out to check out the dark skies, with it?

Dark skies?....where i live?.....there would have to be a power failure first....

Forum List

Back