Betelgeuse Betelgeuse Betelgeuse

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
I hope to hell this happens in my lifetime.

The Orion constellation is one of the most well known in the winter sky over the US and has been an important constellation in almost all ancient cultures. It would be amazing to see this largest star in that iconic constellation go super nova

The Orion constellation is one of the most well known in the winter sky over the US and has been an important constellation in almost all ancient cultures. It would be amazing to see this largest star in that iconic constellation go super nova

If we can see it, that means it already has done so a loooooong time ago.

3nqk3b.jpg

Don't hold your breath. The lives of stars are very very long and Betelgeuse likely has thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years before it finally explodes. It is rather difficult to grasp just how big Betelgeuse really is. There are few known stars that are bigger. Here is an idea:

Here is the Earth in comparison to Jupiter and our Sun.

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 2.26.04 PM.png

Now here is the Sun in comparison to the star Pollux in Gemini.

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 2.26.24 PM.png

Now here is Pollux in comparison to the star Rigel, the left foot of Orion:

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 2.27.45 PM.png

And finally, here is the size of Rigel in comparison to Betelgeuse:

Screen Shot 2023-11-01 at 2.28.24 PM.png

When it finally becomes time for Betelgeuse to go, it will enter a severely unstable, oscillating phase. Right now, its variations are not even to barely detectable to the trained naked eye observer.

Betelgeuse is not the only super giant that Orion is sporting.

The entire Orion region is part of the Orion OB Complex. OB stars are the largest and shortest lived like Betelgeuse. Here is a picture of Orion showing the outer shell of an expanding gas bubble expanding out from the general region of the Orion Nebula where a star like Betelgeuse exploded long ago. It is the pressure shock front of these expanding shells which trigger the collapse and compression of interstellar hydrogen gas clouds when they are hit by the pressure wave which leads to the formation of new stars like the Sun. Betelgeuse is the bright red star seen towards the upper left.

Orion2010_andreo2000 copy.jpg

The entire Orion region is part of the Orion OB Complex. OB stars are the largest and shortest lived like Betelgeuse. Here is a picture of Orion showing the outer shell of an expanding gas bubble expanding out from the general region of the Orion Nebula where a star like Betelgeuse exploded long ago. It is the pressure shock front of these expanding shells which trigger the collapse and compression of interstellar hydrogen gas clouds when they are hit by the pressure wave which leads to the formation of new stars like the Sun. Betelgeuse is the bright red star seen towards the upper left.

View attachment 851745
That seems to make us minor. Very minor. Yet there is life here. For what it's worth.

Forum List

Back