Looking for some perspective

Agoxlea

Rookie
Oct 22, 2010
Scroll to the end for a shorter version.

I'm a 20-something college student. The age +/- a couple years where most begin to experience the "real" world. The following will be a summary of how things seem from my perspective. What I'm wondering is if things seemed similar to others at the beginning of their adulthood. Does my view have much in common with those of other generations, or even a large portion of my generation? America doesn't feel like what I've learned it should be throughout my schooling.

To begin with something a little controversial, I'll let it be known I practice a variety of Christianity. Yet, I've heard for a majority of my life about the separation of church and state. Yet, what worries me is how God is an acceptable justification for many political decisions, and is even a large part of some candidates platform. I am shocked how many candidates can lie or be misinformed yet still be considered serious candidates. This happens on both sides of the aisle, but the most recent example that comes to mind is Christine O'donnel being oblivious to the contents of the constitution. My question here I guess is at any other point in American History could candidates with such little political knowledge be viable.

My next area of concern has to do with civil rights. Obviously America has had its civil rights issues in the past, but it seems as if we never learn. It doesn't seem as if an argument against gay marriage should be that it is against God's will. I think most Christian people in America would agree that adultery is against God's will, and most of other or no faith would also be morally opposed to adultery. This isn't an argument used to outlaw adultery, so why is it an acceptable argument against gay marriage?

My next issue is the widespread intolerance towards Islam. I'm going to use the "Ground Zero Mosque" as an example. The Constitution gives us the right of freedom of religion. Islam is clearly a mainstream religion so this should be a no brained, yet this would not be an issue were it a temple, church, etc. Obviously candidates should be able to run on the platform of preventing this if they so choose, but why do politicians have he power the prevent this in the first place? We seem to be a nation full of bigotry and haven't learned from our past. Does anyone feel like we have made any strides in tolerance?

These issue I believe are in large part due to how uneducated I believe we are as Americans. The religious hatred that exists is unbelievable, but coupled with the recent polls on how little Americans know about their own--let alone other's religions--seems particularly upsetting. Historically I would maybe compare this to America's fear of JFK being Catholic, but it feels as if we haven't taken any strides since then.

As far as traditional education goes it seems as if the majority are very uninformed which allows for candidates to run on some absurdist platforms. It seems most will vote along party lines and decide on an issue based on media coverage, not personal research or even thought.

Environmentally I'm am concerned for my future as well. There is enough evidence in support that I'm worried about global warming on a better safe than sorry level. If there was a 25% chance using a product would flood our yard or basement we would consider it unacceptable, yet global warming has the support of a majority of scientists, yet very little dramatic action is being taken against global warming.

I won't delve into incredibly subjective arguments such as abortion and drug policy. I feel overall my outlook on the future is that America not so idealistic as I believed, our education is horrendous, we don't learn from our mistakes, ignore science and logic, and base many decisions on hate and fear.

Is this new? Have other generations felt worried about the future of our nation? Do we ever learn from our mistakes? Do things seem as if there are a frightening amount of people that out of hatred/fear will give up more of our liberties?

Summary: worried about racism, education, religious fear, environment, and civil rights. Is my bleak outlook on America's future unique to my generation, not unique, or does it have little to do with age.

Last edited:
I'm not a Christian. I attended a Catholic grade school and high school but I decided I was an agnostic at 12. Organized religion just seemed absurd to me and my opinion hasn't changed much in decades.

I think politicians and religious leaders are very similar. Tell the largest number of people what they prefer to hear to get them to follow. Truth is irrelevant.

Here is a book I STRONGLY SUGGEST for its perspective of reality:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/screwing-average-man-David-Hapgood/dp/B0006W84KK]Amazon.com: The screwing of the average man: David Hapgood: Books[/ame]

On racism and education try this. LOL

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Black Man's Burden, by Mack Reynolds.

The Project Gutenberg eBook of Border, Breed Nor Birth, by Mack Reynolds

It is obviously dated in a number of ways but it is still forward looking even from today's perspective of reality. That is the nice thing about science fiction from the 50s and 60s, at least the stuff that wasn't junk and there was plenty of that. Our so called educational system trains kids to focus on the past in an attempt to keep the future from changing. But this keeps the children who will be the future from being ready for it and it is going to be different no matter what. Traditionalists sabotage the future.

psik

<SNIP>
I won't delve into incredibly subjective arguments such as abortion and drug policy. I feel overall my outlook on the future is that America not so idealistic as I believed, our education is horrendous, we don't learn from our mistakes, ignore science and logic, and base many decisions on hate and fear.

Is this new? Have other generations felt worried about the future of our nation? Do we ever learn from our mistakes? Do things seem as if there are a frightening amount of people that out of hatred/fear will give up more of our liberties?

Summary: worried about racism, education, religious fear, environment, and civil rights. Is my bleak outlook on America's future unique to my generation, not unique, or does it have little to do with age.
No, it has more to do with indoctrination and a lack of being adequately immersed in both sides of today's arguments.

The best thing you could do would be to give youself an equal amount of time in both both sides of the political arguments and simply listen instead of forming mental arguments opposing what you are hearing.

If you are not watching any Fox News Channel material, start watching Fox News Sunday each Sunday morning, and then for the balance of your Sunday experience watch CNN.

Each evening watch Fox News Special report to see how an even expression of both viewpoints are founded, and then watch something on CNN like Maddow or Mathews.

I'm a 20-something college student. The age +/- a couple years where most begin to experience the "real" world. The following will be a summary of how things seem from my perspective. What I'm wondering is if things seemed similar to others at the beginning of their adulthood. Does my view have much in common with those of other generations, or even a large portion of my generation? America doesn't feel like what I've learned it should be throughout my schooling.

To begin with something a little controversial, I'll let it be known I practice a variety of Christianity. Yet, I've heard for a majority of my life about the separation of church and state. Yet, what worries me is how God is an acceptable justification for many political decisions, and is even a large part of some candidates platform. I am shocked how many candidates can lie or be misinformed yet still be considered serious candidates. This happens on both sides of the aisle, but the most recent example that comes to mind is Christine O'donnel being oblivious to the contents of the constitution. My question here I guess is at any other point in American History could candidates with such little political knowledge be viable.

My next area of concern has to do with civil rights. Obviously America has had its civil rights issues in the past, but it seems as if we never learn. It doesn't seem as if an argument against gay marriage should be that it is against God's will. I think most Christian people in America would agree that adultery is against God's will, and most of other or no faith would also be morally opposed to adultery. This isn't an argument used to outlaw adultery, so why is it an acceptable argument against gay marriage?

My next issue is the widespread intolerance towards Islam. I'm going to use the "Ground Zero Mosque" as an example. The Constitution gives us the right of freedom of religion. Islam is clearly a mainstream religion so this should be a no brained, yet this would not be an issue were it a temple, church, etc. Obviously candidates should be able to run on the platform of preventing this if they so choose, but why do politicians have he power the prevent this in the first place? We seem to be a nation full of bigotry and haven't learned from our past. Does anyone feel like we have made any strides in tolerance?

These issue I believe are in large part due to how uneducated I believe we are as Americans. The religious hatred that exists is unbelievable, but coupled with the recent polls on how little Americans know about their own--let alone other's religions--seems particularly upsetting. Historically I would maybe compare this to America's fear of JFK being Catholic, but it feels as if we haven't taken any strides since then.

As far as traditional education goes it seems as if the majority are very uninformed which allows for candidates to run on some absurdist platforms. It seems most will vote along party lines and decide on an issue based on media coverage, not personal research or even thought.

Environmentally I'm am concerned for my future as well. There is enough evidence in support that I'm worried about global warming on a better safe than sorry level. If there was a 25% chance using a product would flood our yard or basement we would consider it unacceptable, yet global warming has the support of a majority of scientists, yet very little dramatic action is being taken against global warming.

Bleak?

You want bleak

My generation was taught to hide under our desks in case a NUCLEAR WAR HAPPENED!

Given how very close to nuclear war we'd gotten at least two times, many of us assumed that we would not live to see adulthood.

But here we are.

And then as we got older the civil rights riots and the anti-war riots appeared to be tearing this nation apart, too.

We saw full scale riots in about 30 cities before most of us got out of HS.

It very much appeared that America was going to have a revolution or civil war.

But it didn't.

I propose that you assume that your world is a going concern and here's why:

Because if you're wrong, there's nothing you can do about.

But if you're right, then you won't have fretted away your life worrying about your world coming to an end for nothing.

Welcome to the site, I hear you man. There are many challenges facing this country right now. There is an old curse and it goes something like this " May you live in intersting times'.

I was polishing off high school while they tried to impeach Nixon. The world was full of full blown racists and the economy was heading for stagflation. I just aimed my head towards getting what college I could afford at the time and tried to start my adult life.

We always have different challenges but it is often the same road. If we could get the country to deside its positions with REAL information then we would fare better. Far too many people hold to their positions even if they have to accept LIES to protect their failed ideas.

One reaction I have to your summary of worries that underlie your characterization of your personal outlook as beak is that you do not mention concern for the economic future of the United States. I was brought up to believe that the United States was a country of continually expanding opportunities. Stated another way, Americans have as a group expected their standard of living (collectively and as individuals) to continually rise with time. Can Americans conserve energy, reduce their use of fossil fuels, and take other steps to reduce the causes of Global Warming and still continue to expect to enjoy a rising standard of living? I don't know, and don't think that the "experts" do either!

Bleak?

You want bleak

My generation was taught to hide under our desks in case a NUCLEAR WAR HAPPENED!

Given how very close to nuclear war we'd gotten at least two times, many of us assumed that we would not live to see adulthood.

But here we are.

And then as we got older the civil rights riots and the anti-war riots appeared to be tearing this nation apart, too.

We saw full scale riots in about 30 cities before most of us got out of HS.

It very much appeared that America was going to have a revolution or civil war.

But it didn't.

I propose that you assume that your world is a going concern and here's why:

Because if you're wrong, there's nothing you can do about.

But if you're right, then you won't have fretted away your life worrying about your world coming to an end for nothing.

LOL, I remember that hiding under the desks business. I thought it was kind of fun but wondered who the Russians were and why they wanted to kill us.

Years later I watched Fail-safe and Dr. Strangelove.

But those things were a matter of human decisions about whether or not to push the button. The riots just looked like a big deal on television. More people were killed in automobile accidents every year. How big a deal did the media make of that?

But look at the Keeling curve now. Who are the people who can push the button on that to make it stop rising? This is a whole different kind of bleakness.

mlo_record.png

Scripps CO2 Program - Keeling Curve Lessons

We have Harvard graduates that can't explain what causes winter and summer but we argue about global warming.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0wk4qG2mIg[/ame]

And that was from around 1990.

psik

Things are a lot better now than they were in the late 70's.

I am too young to remember the duck and cover age. We still did drills where we went into the fallout shelter until I was in 2nd grade.

lots was going on in the world when i was your age....but i ignored it and concentrated on what I could do with school and working....i voted once, right out of high school then, not for another 20 years...i just concentrated on me and my career and my marriage and my family....i suppose, i didn't have enough room in my head to do the above and be a watchdog on 'every thing else' going on and politicians.....

I am NOT recommending that you do the same, but what i can say is that i was blissfully happy before i decided to pay attention to politics, in 2000.

care

Forum List

Back