Looking Back at 2004

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
(article from The Indianapolis Star)
How much do you really remember about 2004? Test your memory with our year-end news quiz.

Printed December 31, 2004

It's that time again -- time to swig a glass of champagne, sing a round of "Auld Lang Syne" and close the books on another year. And what a year it's been. Here, we test your knowledge of some of the most memorable moments and phenomena of 2004 -- large and small, serious and frivolous. How much have you already forgotten about the last 12 months?

1. List these candidates in the order that they dropped out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

a. Al Sharpton
b. Dennis Kucinich
c. Carol Mosely Braun
d. Howard Dean
e. John Edwards
f. Joseph Lieberman
g. John Kerry
h. Wesley Clark
i. Richard Gephardt

2. There were several big winners in 2004. Can you pick the recipients of the following?:
a. Pulitzer Prize, Fiction:
"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini
"The Known World" by Edward P. Jones
"American Woman" by Susan Choi
b. MTV Video Music Awards, Video of the Year:
Outkast for "Hey Ya!"
Britney Spears for "Toxic"
No Doubt for "It's My Life"
c. The Cannes Film Festival's Palme d'Or:
Wolfgang Petersen for "Troy,"
Quentin Tarantino for "Kill Bill Vol. 2"
Michael Moore for "Fahrenheit 9/11"
d. Masters golf tournament:
Ernie Els
Phil Mickelson
Vijay Singh

3. San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom gained national attention for:
a. authorizing nearly 4,000 marriage licenses to gay couples.
b. starring in a Fox reality show.
c. backing a ban of red meat in all of the city's restaurants.
d. planning an underwater hotel in the San Francisco Bay.

4. What is the nickname of the prison where Martha Stewart is serving her five-month prison sentence?
a. Peachtree Prison
b. Camp Cupcake
c. Ladies' Lodge
d. The Clubhouse

5. Fill in the blank:
Arnold Schwarzenegger said of California Democratic lawmakers: "If they don't have the guts to come up here in front of you and say, 'I dont want to represent you, I want to represent those special interests, the unions, the trial lawyers' . . . if they don't have the guts, I call them ___________."
a. true liars
b. terminated
c. girlie men
d. crybabies

6. Ronald Reagan was the first president to have a state funeral in Washington since:
a. John F. Kennedy in 1963.
b. Harry Truman in 1973.
c. Lyndon Johnson in 1973.
d. Richard Nixon in 1994.

7. Many Americans turned to the totally made-up news of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show" to follow this year's presidential election -- much to the chagrin of some traditional news outlets. What was the name of "The Daily Show's" election coverage?

8. Put these top-five medal-winning nations in order by total medal count in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens:
Australia
China
Germany
Russia
United States

9. "I feel like it's a huge gift that is difficult to accept, but makes me want to just go out and tear up the pool tomorrow," U.S. swimmer Ian Crocker said at the 2004 Summer Olympics in August. What was the gift, and who gave it to him?

10. During this fall's flu vaccine shortage, a group of powerful people made news when it was revealed that many of them were vaccinated despite the short supply. Who were they?

11. After "Friends" ended its 10-year run this spring, which actor moved on to a "Friends" spinoff on NBC?
a. Matthew Perry
b. Jennifer Aniston
c. David Schwimmer
d. Matt LeBlanc

12. Who was the chairman of the 9/11 Commission?

a. Thomas H. Kean
b. Bob Kerrey
c. John Kerry
d. James R. Thompson

13. The blogging phenomenon exploded in 2004. What two-word phrase is "blog" short for?

14. Name the team that won each of these titles in 2004:
a. Super Bowl
b. Men's NCAA basketball championship
c. Women's NCAA basketball championship
d. NBA championship
e. World Series

15. New Yorker Aleta St. James gave birth to twins in November. Why was that remarkable?

16. A small town in Russia was the site of a horrific school massacre this fall. What was the name of the town?

17. Where do the "Desperate Housewives" live?
a. Bougainvillea Village
b. Sweet Pea Street
c. Wisteria Lane
d. Petrunia Avenue

18. Who said, "I will leave Iraq confident in the future, confident that the Iraqi government is ready now to meet the challenges that lie before it," as he turned over sovereignty to an interim Iraqi government?

19. What famous two-word phrase came to be associated with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake's February Super Bowl stunt?

20. In the series finale of "Sex and the City," Carrie Bradshaw ends up with longtime love Mr. Big. What was Mr. Big's real first name revealed to be?
a. William
b. John
c. James
d. Sam

Answers:
1. Moseley Braun, Gephardt, Lieberman, Clark, Dean, Edwards
2. The Known World, Outkast, Michael Moore, Phil Mickelson
3. a
4. b
5. c
6. c
7. Indecision 2004
8. U.S., Russia, China, Australia, Germany
9. Michael Phelps gave up his spot on the U.S. medley relay team to allow Crocker a chance at a medal.
10. Members of Congress
11. d
12. a
13. Web log
14. New England Patriots, UCONN, UCONN, Detroit Pistons, Boston Red Sox
15. She was 56 at the time.
16. Beslan
17. c
18. Paul Bremer
19. "Wardrobe Malfunction
"
20. b

I was going to take a shot at the answer and was about to hit reply when I saw you already provided the answers. :(

Saves me from digging the answers up later. Maybe it would have been more fun to indicate I would provide the answers in a post the next day. That way those who wanted to try to anwser the questions on their own would have had the opportunity.

Forum List

Back