"Living Wage" for Everyone?

For those who support a "living wage" minimum of $15 per hour, how about applying that standard to everyone? We could then do away with other "entitlements" and just guarantee every adult $2500 per month. That would be a lot cheaper than what we are spending now.
I don't understand what point you are trying to make. If we raised the minimum wage, millions of people would no longer be eligible for programs like food stamps and public housing.

Oh bullshit, they'd just up the threshold.... the dependency class is too important to the DNC.
Thats so stupid. Polls show most Americans want a higher minimum wage - not more food stamps spending.
yea 10 -11 an hour not 15...
That still has nothing to do with wanting more food stamps.

Here Are the Countries With the Best Paid Minimum Wage Employees

While McDonald's workers in America can expect to make $9.90 an hour starting July 1, McDonald's workers in Denmarkcan earn up to $21 an hour, with the average full-time employee raking in $45,000 a year before taxes. Even though Denmark doesn't have a national minimum wage law in place, fast food workers are required to earn a minimum of $20 an hour due to an agreement between Denmark’s largest union and Danish employers organization, Horesta. Even though Denmark's high tax rates leave fast food workers with roughly $28,000 a year after deductions, that's still more than the average full-time McDonald's worker earns annually.
<more>

For those who support a "living wage" minimum of $15 per hour, how about applying that standard to everyone? We could then do away with other "entitlements" and just guarantee every adult $2500 per month. That would be a lot cheaper than what we are spending now.
I don't understand what point you are trying to make. If we raised the minimum wage, millions of people would no longer be eligible for programs like food stamps and public housing.

Oh bullshit, they'd just up the threshold.... the dependency class is too important to the DNC.
No one could afford to give up those benefits. In almost every state "welfare dependency" is the highest paying job. This is the problem.
Christ what is it with you in just making shit up?
The Right depends on making shit up.
As shown here, one of their obsessions is to deny help to the poor. After all they must have a class of folks that they can feel better than.
the left is like that too,only their group is poor minorities....

what happens when those making 15-20 an hour ask for more money?...
Even if they did, obviously they wouldn't get it.
there goes the morale in those places...

That's called the Domino Effect these minimum wage people refuse to acknowledge.

Even if somebody was making adequate money such as $22.00 an hour and plenty happy about it, after such a huge increase in minimum wage, they wouldn't be happy for very long because now they are making as much as a french fry maker. They would demand at least $35.00 per hour to compensate for the huge increase in minimum wage.
i agree....if i had a job that i worked up the ladder to get that put me at 16 an hour and all of a sudden the guy emptying the trash is making 15....i would want more money ...i think billy knows that too but he would never admit it....

Let's go for 500 an hour. We all know that businesses just have mountains of cash.

No, $23.50/hr will put the middle class back to solvency.

FYI: Corporate America is sitting >$100T cash, so YES, they can afford it.

But the mom and pop flower shops can't. The ice cream stand owners can't. The hardware store owners can't. The Convenient store owners can't.
Under your plan most businesses would move because they could't afford to stay in the country. No matter what rent, housing prices, or even merchandise costs today in NYC, it would over double with your plans.

I've seen businesses leave our area. They either moved out of state to get away from the unions or out of the country because their competitors were already manufacturing out of the country.

If you and I both had widget factories, but I decided to move my widget factory to Vietnam, you would have no choice but to do the same. That's because I would be able to manufacture ten widgets for the price of your one. Even including shipping costs, I would bury you in sales because my widgets are so much cheaper to make.

Years ago, unions were a good thing for workers at the time. But what most didn't realize is as those workers received more money and benefits, that raised wages of non-union outfits as well. When everybody increases wages, it creates inflation. That's how we priced ourselves out of the world market. It didn't happen overnight and those greedy business owners could have moved anytime they liked.

At some point, we need to learn from our mistakes.

Under your plan most businesses would move because they could't afford to stay in the country. No matter what rent, housing prices, or even merchandise costs today in NYC, it would over double with your plans.

Under my plan all employee costs will be reduced 20% to 30% which will add an additional $5M/yr to my net. ALL prices for goods and services will be reduced to 2009 levels and held for ten years.

I've seen businesses leave our area. They either moved out of state to get away from the unions or out of the country because their competitors were already manufacturing out of the country.

Such as Levi $trau$$ & Company?

If you and I both had widget factories, but I decided to move my widget factory to Vietnam, you would have no choice but to do the same. That's because I would be able to manufacture ten widgets for the price of your one. Even including shipping costs, I would bury you in sales because my widgets are so much cheaper to make.

One of the many benefits of being adequately financed, I can leverage the costs of undercutting you until you file BK, then buy your entire inventory for -90% and return the loss.

Years ago, unions were a good thing for workers at the time. But what most didn't realize is as those workers received more money and benefits, that raised wages of non-union outfits as well. When everybody increases wages, it creates inflation. That's how we priced ourselves out of the world market. It didn't happen overnight and those greedy business owners could have moved anytime they liked.

Yes, the American worker DOES hurt excessive profits.

The mistake of middle class voting for Republicans, and their bastard step-children the teabaggers and Libertarians.

You keep posting the same fantasy over and over again, so allow me to pop your bubble:

HTF could you possibly reduce prices to 2009 levels? Don't you think if business owners could do that, they would do so without your suggestion? And how are you going to freeze prices for 10 years? If you can do that, then go ahead and keep our gasoline this price for the next ten years. Business owners are constantly looking for ways to reduce costs. If they could reduce the cost per employee, they would have done it years ago.

Now if we were competitors, it wouldn't matter how well you were financed. Nobody stays in business very long making products they can't sell, especially when I have all the customers and financially doing ten times better than you.

Voting Republican is the same worn out excuse you on the left have for your failed liberal policies such as strong backing of unions and taxation that are the actual culprits when it comes to international job loss in this country. Not one company ever left the country because Republicans were in charge.

But the mom and pop flower shops can't. The ice cream stand owners can't. The hardware store owners can't. The Convenient store owners can't.

Why wouldn't they, their most costly expenses are reduced to 30% of gross. PERMANENTLY.

You keep posting the same fantasy over and over again, so allow me to pop your bubble:

Good luck with that!

HTF could you possibly reduce prices to 2009 levels? Don't you think if business owners could do that, they would do so without your suggestion? And how are you going to freeze prices for 10 years? If you can do that, then go ahead and keep our gasoline this price for the next ten years. Business owners are constantly looking for ways to reduce costs. If they could reduce the cost per employee, they would have done it years ago.

Businesses owners 'giving back' when there is nothing in the game for them? Sure!

You do understand that the reduced cost of diesel fuel in this country came from a meeting of the minds in Washington. Washington said, 'reduce the prices or else,' and the oil companies said, 'yes sir'.

Now if we were competitors, it wouldn't matter how well you were financed. Nobody stays in business very long making products they can't sell, especially when I have all the customers and financially doing ten times better than you.

If we were competitors, you'd be bankrupt.

Voting Republican is the same worn out excuse you on the left have for your failed liberal policies such as strong backing of unions and taxation that are the actual culprits when it comes to international job loss in this country.

How many Republicans have authored or supported a bill which helped the middle class without giving the rich a larger boost? Don't bother looking, there aren't any.

Not one company ever left the country because Republicans were in charge.

If you were receiving the best blow-job of your life, would you leave?

Reagan: Gutting the HMO Act.

Baby Bush's SEC rubber-stamping mergers and acquisitions based on leverage, not to mention 'Made-Off.'

Bernie, is that you?

That's called the Domino Effect these minimum wage people refuse to acknowledge.

Even if somebody was making adequate money such as $22.00 an hour and plenty happy about it, after such a huge increase in minimum wage, they wouldn't be happy for very long because now they are making as much as a french fry maker. They would demand at least $35.00 per hour to compensate for the huge increase in minimum wage.
i agree....if i had a job that i worked up the ladder to get that put me at 16 an hour and all of a sudden the guy emptying the trash is making 15....i would want more money ...i think billy knows that too but he would never admit it....
I think 15 should be years from now. 2020+. For now, it needs to be raised to 10. That gives the market time to respond if done gradually. You have a point about the garbage man, but to that I say: tough shit. It's worth it. 15 is kept up to date with the current cost of inflation.

Let's go for 500 an hour. We all know that businesses just have mountains of cash.

No, $23.50/hr will put the middle class back to solvency.

FYI: Corporate America is sitting >$100T cash, so YES, they can afford it.

Under my plan all employee costs will be reduced 20% to 30% which will add an additional $5M/yr to my net. ALL prices for goods and services will be reduced to 2009 levels and held for ten years.

Such as Levi $trau$$ & Company?

One of the many benefits of being adequately financed, I can leverage the costs of undercutting you until you file BK, then buy your entire inventory for -90% and return the loss.

Yes, the American worker DOES hurt excessive profits.

The mistake of middle class voting for Republicans, and their bastard step-children the teabaggers and Libertarians.

Voting Republican is the same worn out excuse you on the left have for your failed liberal policies such as strong backing of unions and taxation that are the actual culprits when it comes to international job loss in this country. Not one company ever left the country because Republicans were in charge.

Why wouldn't they, their most costly expenses are reduced to 30% of gross. PERMANENTLY.

Good luck with that!

Businesses owners 'giving back' when there is nothing in the game for them? Sure!

You do understand that the reduced cost of diesel fuel in this country came from a meeting of the minds in Washington. Washington said, 'reduce the prices or else,' and the oil companies said, 'yes sir'.

If we were competitors, you'd be bankrupt.

Voting Republican is the same worn out excuse you on the left have for your failed liberal policies such as strong backing of unions and taxation that are the actual culprits when it comes to international job loss in this country.

How many Republicans have authored or supported a bill which helped the middle class without giving the rich a larger boost? Don't bother looking, there aren't any.

Not one company ever left the country because Republicans were in charge.

If you were receiving the best blow-job of your life, would you leave?

Reagan: Gutting the HMO Act.

Baby Bush's SEC rubber-stamping mergers and acquisitions based on leverage, not to mention 'Made-Off.'

You didn't coherently answer one question.

Allow me to point out your ignorance in fuel prices, particularly from a truck drivers prospective:

As a commodities investor for nearly ten years, I can tell you don't understand a thing about the market. Prices are not dictated by the oil companies or the US government. Fuel is international and dictated by the investors in the commodities market. Therefore, fuel prices are not set by any commanding entity.

The commodity market is responsive to supply and demand. Thanks to fracking in the US, fuel prices have lowered because there is more supply than demand. In fact we have so much fuel that we are exporting it.

Investors realize this so they are selling their contracts (meaning they are betting the price lowers) and that's what sets our fuel prices. The sell off is still taking place because of our excess of fuel. That does include diesel which is still around one dollar per gallon higher than gasoline. This increase took place during the Bush years when they lowered sulfur levels to 5%.

Your ignorance of market activity is also on display. If I am the king in my market (of whatever product) because I am producing my product much cheaper than you, how in the world can you say you can put me out of business?

Giving back? That's another myth by the left.

If I am paying $2.50 per unit to make my widgets, and that price increases (as it always does) I have to increase the price of my product. In other words, I can't produce widgets at a loss because I'm paying more for material than I can profit from. You can't freeze prices. There is no possible way to do that. Because if you freeze the price of my product, and I'm paying more to make that product, I will be out of business in not time at all. No company can operate at a loss.

You people have this factitious belief that government can control market activities by simply making law against it. It doesn't work that way and never will. This is why liberals should never be in charge of anything financial; because you don't understand it.

I think 15 should be years from now. 2020+. For now, it needs to be raised to 10. That gives the market time to respond if done gradually. You have a point about the garbage man, but to that I say: tough shit. It's worth it. 15 is kept up to date with the current cost of inflation.

You can say tough shit all you like. But if minimum wage were to increase to $15.00 tomorrow, all those workers would be demanding more money. Tough ship?

Okay, so you are an employer. Minimum wage goes to $15.00 per hour, so now your current $15.00 per hour employees are demanding $20.00 per hour. What are your choices?

You can tell your employees that have been with the company the last ten years to take a hike, and then hire new minimum wage employees that know nothing about your company, nothing about your operations, nothing about the positions you need them for. You'll have to train all of these people to do the jobs your experienced employees used to do. This could take years. And after you trained them, they too will be asking for more money.

Or you increase your current employees wages and keep that experience and dedication. It's really a brainless decision. Employers will be forced to keep their current employees and take the financial loss.

You can say tough shit all you like. But if minimum wage were to increase to $15.00 tomorrow, all those workers would be demanding more money. Tough ship?

Okay, so you are an employer. Minimum wage goes to $15.00 per hour, so now your current $15.00 per hour employees are demanding $20.00 per hour. What are your choices?

You can tell your employees that have been with the company the last ten years to take a hike, and then hire new minimum wage employees that know nothing about your company, nothing about your operations, nothing about the positions you need them for. You'll have to train all of these people to do the jobs your experienced employees used to do. This could take years. And after you trained them, they too will be asking for more money.

Or you increase your current employees wages and keep that experience and dedication. It's really a brainless decision. Employers will be forced to keep their current employees and take the financial loss.
I don't understand how you people dismiss the demand side of economics. Any initial cost to business from raising wages would be regained by the boost to business from bigger paychecks.

Good lord, what you meant to say is what would Interstate 15 be today if businesses didn't generate the wealth government confiscated to build Interstate 15. Do you think government held a bake sale to raise the money to build Interstate 15? Newsflash, government didn't build it.

As usual, your post is misleading and ignorant. The Interstate Highway System was built and is maintained with tax monies paid by all, to be enjoyed by all.

Irony, where did employees get their money? OH SNAP!

I think 15 should be years from now. 2020+.
unfortunately many of those 9 dollar minimum wagers want that 15 right now..... and there are activist pushing for that...
You have a point about the garbage man, but to that I say: tough shit
unless you were the guy at 16 bucks....

I don't understand how you people dismiss the demand side of economics. Any initial cost to business from raising wages would be regained by the boost to business from bigger paychecks.

What bigger paychecks, from the employees? How would business benefit from that?

When Commie Care went into full force, my employer dropped our healthcare coverage. Unfortunately, the geniuses that created this mess never put in a clause where the employer could pay you cash for the benefits he canceled. All he could do is increase your pay rate which my employer did.

He was paying $415.00 a month for my coverage, but, he couldn't give me a separate check for the $415.00. He had to figure what the extra costs were for matching my SS contributions, matching my Medicare contributions, higher unemployment tax, higher workman's compensation tax and so on.

With all the Deductions before what I got taxed on, I ended up with $275.00 of that money and again, I paid tax on that because it was part of my gross.

When your employer gives you a raise, all you see is the raise part. You don't see all the additional expenses he has to payout for all the benefits and costs associated with that raise. Imagine what an employer would have to pay on top of the new $15.00 per hour.

What bigger paychecks, from the employees? How would business benefit from that?

When Commie Care went into full force, my employer dropped our healthcare coverage. Unfortunately, the geniuses that created this mess never put in a clause where the employer could pay you cash for the benefits he canceled. All he could do is increase your pay rate which my employer did.

He was paying $415.00 a month for my coverage, but, he couldn't give me a separate check for the $415.00. He had to figure what the extra costs were for matching my SS contributions, matching my Medicare contributions, higher unemployment tax, higher workman's compensation tax and so on.

With all the Deductions before what I got taxed on, I ended up with $275.00 of that money and again, I paid tax on that because it was part of my gross.

When your employer gives you a raise, all you see is the raise part. You don't see all the additional expenses he has to payout for all the benefits and costs associated with that raise. Imagine what an employer would have to pay on top of the new $15.00 per hour.
You have to look at this more broadly. I'm saying businesses across the country would benefit from it. More people would be spending more money on the market. Consumer spending accounts for 70% of the nation's economy.

You have to look at this more broadly. I'm saying businesses across the country would benefit from it. More people would be spending more money on the market. Consumer spending accounts for 70% of the nation's economy.
Thats total bullshit. We've had 3 increases in MW and in no case was there increased spendoing
Instead what happens is busineess must either increase prices or reduce workers hours. There is no net gain for workers.

Thats total bullshit. We've had 3 increases in MW and in no case was there increased spendoing
Instead what happens is busineess must either increase prices or reduce workers hours. There is no net gain for workers.
Oh Christ I'm not having this same argument with you just because you aren't mature enough to accept the answer. The rise in prices would not offset the boost to consumer spending. Over time prices would go down. Every time the min wage was raised, there was no significant cost to businesses. Look at history for Christ's sakes. This economy depends on consumer spending and right now it is shit because of low wages. Individual corporations refuse to raise wages because it is just easier for them to keep the ridiculous amount of money they already make. 3 out of 5 small businesses on the other hand support raising the minimum wage.

and you have to look at it realistically...everyone who is at 15-20 bucks will want more money and then the people above them will want more and so on and so on...

and you have to look at it realistically...everyone who is at 15-20 bucks will want more money and then the people above them will want more and so on and so on...
No you're the one lacking realism. Anyone that would demand more, WOULD NOT GET MORE.

Forum List

Back