Living in Fear

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
How sad that the world will avoid discussing serious subjects due to fear. I'd say that radical Islam is winning when it trumps free speech. :(

German Publisher, Fearing Muslim Retaliation, Cancels Honor-Killing Novel

"Dr. Phyllis Chesler, author of several books, including "The Death of Feminism: What's Next in the Struggle for Women's Freedom," said cancelling the book is not an isolated case.
"[M]ost academic and mainstream publishers won’t even consider books that might offend Islamists or Muslims," she said. "The West has, so far, given in and censored its writers and artists in order to avoid being sued or bombed. Appeasement will get us nowhere. "

German Publisher, Fearing Muslim Retaliation, Cancels Honor-Killing Novel - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News - FOXNews.com

Wasn't there another book that's release was canceled a few months ago about Mohammad's child bride?

So rocks you think we ought to censor books that might be offensive to Muslims? How about books that might Offend Christians or Atheists or jews? Or do you reserve that censorship only for preventing offenses to followers of Islam?

This is a constant theme in Europe, you can even be sued if you criticize religions.

Read about Italain Communist and journalist Oriana Fallaci, European Muslims managed to get SWITZERLAND to isue an arrest warrant for her based on their claim her writings were 'racist' (Italy threw out the warrant as it violated their constitution).

The Muslims next tried sueing her over her books, and they actually went to trial over it.

Oriana Fallaci - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will have it here sooner or later.

Barry's gov is very much intune with the Euro govs who put those laws in place.

Americans should be grateful for the First Amendment.

In Australia, though a tolerant liberal democracy, we have no iron clad right to free speech.

We have hate speech laws and they can be applied very selectively.

For instance, as far as I know no Islamic cleric has been prosecuted for making anti Western statements but a Christian minister in Victoria was prosecuted simply for reading out parts of the Koran that advocate violence against non-Muslims.

Canada has even worse PC applications of hate speech laws; see the columnist Mark Steyns fight against Canadian Star Chambers.

Mark Steyn's Canadian "Hate Speech" Trial Makes Front Page

CANADA'S THOUGHT POLICE
SteynOnline - Steynposts

Last edited:
Strange thing is most Australians are very outspoken, not PC and think one should speak straight come what may, it is just a minority of pin-head academics, PC politicians and activists groups who have got these hate speech laws passed. They did so quietly, many Ausssies I talk to don't even know they exist.

Last edited:
Another case was in Western Australia where I live, an Aboriginal woman assaulted a white women and kept calling her a white ****.

The police charged her with hate speech and the courts ruled that she could not be prosecuted because she was from a group that the law was meant to protect.

So not only do these laws violate free speech but they decimate the concept of equality before the law.

Last edited:
Another case was in Western Australia where I live, an Aboriginal woman assaulted white women and kept calling her a white ****.

The police charged her with hate speech and the courts ruled that she could not be prosecuted because she was from a group that the law was meant to protect.

So not only do these laws violate free speech but they decimate the concept of equality before the law.
Woah. That is so intensely wrong.

I support equal rights but NOTHING even close to special rights can be tolerated.

And a set of first principles defining these rights would be so useful for the ex and present commonwealths.

Australia has no constitution, right?

And, by all means I am VERY thankful for the 1st Amendment.

We do have a Constitution but no bill of rights, we need a bill of rights.
Ah, yes. That's it. Is there any activism in that area?

Some conservatives here (here conservatives are called Liberals, we are on the other side of the world you know) have been advocating a bill of rights but the idea gets little traction.

We do have a Constitution but no bill of rights, we need a bill of rights.
Ah, yes. That's it. Is there any activism in that area?

Some conservatives here (here conservatives are called Liberals, we are on the other side of the world you know) have been advocating a bill of rights but the idea gets little traction.
LOL. It's not really you guys that has the terms messed up, IMO.

Such a bill of rights would be something for which I would be quite an activist. Perhaps the reason it doesn't yet have traction is because the people have yet to see enough of their fundamental rights being abused (as you said, the spirit of the culture has kept any abuses at bay for some time).

With more of these sorts of abuses, maybe folks will wake up? What do you think?

And, this is interesting because you guys never had that insurance of at least speech, so it was nothing that was tossed away, technically.

So, it must really perplex you to see others who had that guarantee willingly give it up? Just curious.

Strange thing is most Australians are very outspoken, not PC and think one should speak straight come what may, it is just a minority of pin-head academics, PC politicians and activists groups who have got these hate speech laws passed. They did so quietly, many Ausssies I talk to don't even know they exist.

That is happening in the USA now.

Many of the new laws congress writes are being voted on without being read, and the current ruling party refuses to post these laws on the internet until AFTER they have been voted on.

In short, they are passing laws they themselves don't know about while refusing to let anyone find out what they are.

Sounds very fascist to me.

Forum List

Back