Good ol days

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Cold Fusion38, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Cold Fusion38

Cold Fusion38 SUPER GENIUS

Thanks Received:
    In the desert chasing that damn roadrunner.
    Ratings:
    +307
    I find it odd that 50 years we could get along with just one bread winner and get along just fine. NOW we have both mom and dad working Jr may have to go to work to help the family. Intergenerational families living together just to get by, WHy!!!.. Because too few people control too much of the wealth and the bottome 50% has to beal with the cost of EVERYTHING going up. So wages stay stagnate yet costs go up WAY up. How can we live this way?

2. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Stop spending rent money on cigarettes, IPODS, and tattoos. Problem solved. Next question? :eusa_whistle:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,157
    seems to me that the illusion that everything was fine 50 years ago and problematic today is the solution. Sure our society isnt as refined as it was 50 years ago. but people struggled then. Intergenerational families were quite common in the history of the world. You do what you need to do to survive.

4. alan1

alan1 USMB Mod Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,769
    50 years ago, how many families had more than one car? How many had a single TV, much less multiple TV's, computers, xbox, wii, etc. What was the sales tax rate in your state 50 years ago?

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Check out what the middle class family had and did back in the 50's and 60's. Today? How many televisions, computers, computer and video games. Look at how often they go out to eat. Cleaning and lawn care hired help. Vacations that cost in excess of $1000 per person, sometimes 2 or more times per year. How many cars? I know my mother would freak at a monthly phone bill over $100 per month, which includes a cell, cable, and computer hook up.

Twenty year olds want what took their parents years to provide, but they don't want to wait and they don't.

If a family with an income of $40k wanted to live on that, they can, but their standard of living will be more like that of the 50's and 60's.

6. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,427
    Avatar's observation is spot on! The desire and opportunity for providing a better lifestyle for the family after WWII coupled to the 60s rise of a new feminism drove the creation of the two-income family that worked outside of the home. Add mass consumerism and mass advertising to the above, and you have the modern American family.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Fifty years ago Doctors didn't make five or ten times the median family income, either.

Neither did lawyers, accountants and other professionals.

When I was a kid one in eight mothers worked full time outside the home.

Now I'm informed the number is seven out of eight.

We are, basically getting poorer, even though in some ways (like consumer electronics and the cost of clothing and in most cases, food) some things have gone down relative to what we make.

Shelter, energy, taxes, and the incidentals (insurance, HC, legal fees, education, licensing and so forth) have gotten more expensive relative to our wages... more than enough to offset the benefits we gain from those other things we buy goig down relative to our incomes, I suspect.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    In the past intergenerational families were the way that people got by, that's certainly nothing new.

When you devalue traditional families with one bread winner and a stay at home parent, when you create generation of generation of people who have forgotten what it means to SAVE for the things they want, instead of accumulating credit, when you keep raising minimum wage and over-taxing small business, essentially killing off intrepreneurship and when you shut down every industry that has the potential of providing decent paying jobs for ordinary people..then you wind up with the problems you name.

It has nothing to do with rich people. It has to do with communist dumbshits who think that by destroying industry in order to bring down the wealthy, by stopping people from profiting from the resources ofthis land, and creating bigger programs to create a bigger welfare state, the world will magically become a better place.

9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,313
    There is a disconnect here. In the early '60s, I had my first full year working in industry. While I was not a minimum wage employee, I was not making high wages for that era. I did work a lot of overtime. My father and mother bought a home that same year. It was large, very nice, if somewhat old. The cost of that home was exactly the same as my gross income for that year. That is the big differance today. The basic cost of a home, even a small fixer, is about 3 times the income for most young workers. Rent for a small apartment cost me about 1/2 of a single weeks paycheck.

The actual basics, at that time, took far less of a percentage of the paycheck than it does today.

10. Cold Fusion38

Cold Fusion38 SUPER GENIUS

Thanks Received:
    In the desert chasing that damn roadrunner.
    Ratings:
    +307
    Let's see better more well adjusted and civically responsib;e children, no NEED for a second or third car, children who PLAYED rather than are baby sat by the tele. Let's see.......Insurance WAY uo, Education WAY up, Housing WAY up, basically the cost of EVERYTHING has gone up while the adjusted income has DROPPED and you REPUGS wonder why our country is where it is. I was a latch key childe because my father worked during the day ALL DAY LONG and my mother went to school. Became even MORE of a latch key kid when she started working graveyard.