little boy to his motherS I want to be a girl

Sky, do you really believe that an 11 year old child should be taking hormone therapy?

All of us remember puberty with abhorrence.

I trust the parents are responsive to their child's needs.

"Parents may be concerned about a child who appears to be gender-nonconforming for a variety of reasons. Some children express a great deal of distress about their assigned sex at birth or the gender roles they are expected to follow. Some children experience difficult social interactions with peers and adults because of their gender expression. Parents may become concerned when what they believed to be a “phase” does not pass. Parents of gender-nonconforming children may need to work with schools and other institutions to address their children’s particular needs and ensure their children’s safety. It is helpful to consult with mental health and medical professionals familiar with gender issues in children to decide how to best address these concerns. It is not helpful to force the child to act in a more gender-conforming way. Peer support from other parents of gender-nonconforming children may also be helpful.

How do transsexuals make a gender transition?Transitioning from one gender to another is a complex process and may involve transition to a gender that is neither traditionally male nor female. People who transition often start by expressing their preferred gender in situations where they feel safe. They typically work up to living full time as members of their preferred gender by making many changes a little at a time. While there is no “right” way to transition genders, there are some common social changes transgender people experience that may involve one or more of the following: adopting the appearance of the desired sex through changes in clothing and grooming, adopting a new name, changing sex designation on identity documents (if possible), using hormone therapy treatment, and/or undergoing medical procedures that modify their body to conform with their gender identity.

Every transgender person’s process or transition differs. Because of this, many factors may determine how the individual wishes to live and express their gender identity. Finding a qualified mental health professional who is experienced in providing affirmative care for transgender people is an important first step. A qualified professional can provide guidance and referrals to other helping professionals. Connecting with other transgender people through peer support groups and transgender community organizations is also helpful.
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), a professional organization devoted to the treatment of transgender people, publishes The Standards of Care for Gender Identity Disorders, which offers recommendations for the provision of gender affirmation procedures and services.

Answers to your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression

That's a cop out. Do YOU believe that anyone should be giving hormone therapy to a 7 year old (yeah it started when he was 7)?

No, it's not a cop out Sheila. The treatment is new and controversial. The decision is up to the parents and the doctors. It's not my call to make. Do any of you even know a transgendered person? I doubt you do.

The recommended medical treatment for transgender children is to allow them to
live in their affirmed gender. This requires that the child’s gender identity be
respected and accepted by others. It is imperative for the health and well being
of children with this complex medical condition that they be allowed to live fully
in the appropriate gender role in all aspects of their lives, including when
participating in social activities such as sports. Transgender children should be
called by their preferred name, be referred to by gender-appropriate pronouns,
and be permitted to wear clothing and uniforms that match their affirmed
gender. Medical treatments such as hormones and surgery are not appropriate
medical treatment for transgender children prior to adolescence.
http://www.transgenderlaw.org/resources/trans_children_in_sports.pdf

Agreed.

However not allowing the brain an body to complete its development by adding foreign hormones, IMO is not a good idea.

Robert and Danielle soon came to find out about a new, highly controversial, treatment for preteen kids with gender identity issues. The treatment allows kids to postpone puberty and avoid developing the physical attributes of the sex they were born with.

The treatment has been offered in the United States only for around four years. Essentially, kids who meet the criteria for gender identity disorder are given monthly injections of a medication that blocks their bodies from releasing sex hormones. This means that while the children continue to grow taller, for the three or four years they are on the medication, they are kept from maturing sexually.

Norman Spack, an endocrinologist at Children's Hospital in Boston, was one of the earliest practitioners of this treatment in the United States. He explains that doctors have actually been able to block sex hormones for decades — the technique has been used to treat everything from prostate cancer to fibroids — but it was only about 10 years ago that a medical group in the Netherlands decided to use it on kids like Armand.

"They had the idea. ... They decided to see what would happen if they took such a child that was in such distress over their body, [and stopped their body from] taking the form that they feared," he says.

To put off puberty, children –- usually between 10 and 13 — are injected with hormone blockers once a month. Spack explains that the blockers only affect the gonads, the organs responsible for turning boys into men and girls into women.

"If you can block the gonads, that is the ovary [in women] or the testis [in men], from making its sex steroids, that being estrogen or testosterone, then you can literally prevent ... almost all the physical differences between the genders," Spack explains.

Parents Consider Treatment to Delay Son's Puberty : NPR

Early hormone treatment would result in less suffering for a transgendered individual later on.

Read the whole article, Sky. The program makes the kids sterile. In America, only 20% of those taking the therapy actually went on to become the other gender.

"Most adult transsexuals confess to having experienced a hatred for their gender right from early life - well before puberty. Many remember puberty with abhorrence, because of the hormone-induced changes in body characteristics which they perceived as totally alien to their gender identity. Often, it is around the pubertal period that most transsexuals reinforce their determination to rid themselves of their primary & secondary characteristics."

ANDROLOGY :Transsexualism and sex change operations-Transsexualism,sex change operations,sexual disorders,impotence
This is disgusting.

What is happening, is this kid is already having it shoved down his throat that he's "transgendered", and he hasn't reached puberty yet.

The defense of what these doctors, and two disgusting immoral bitches are doing to that kid is sickening.

What study should be done on that kid, is a study to see if living in that digusting, abnormal environment is the true cause of his feelings......It's quite sad that a kid is forced into living in that disgusting environment, and then having to live with what goes with it.

Last edited:
Considering the information Si posted about brain development . . . what would be so awful in letting the child decide when they reached age 18 (or older) to decide if transgendering is what they want and to do something about it then?

More than likely this kid would have changed his mind if they just let him go through puberty, now they are holding that back and dramatically altering his life.
I don't know if it's more than likely, but I DO know that the prepubescent brain, irrespective of gender or affliction, is under-developed and very different from the resultant adult brain. So many changes occur in the brain during puberty because those developmental changes are triggered by the hormones - the hormones they are blocking.

Any physician knows this, too. I hold the physician more accountable than the parents for just that reason.

This is just stunning.

But, it's a good reminder to those of us who are tempted not to get second and even third opinions about medical procedures because we have some sort of misplaced faith in a physician.

All I know is 11 year olds have no business making decisions like this, when I was 11 I thought girls were icky and never thought I would like them, a year later I felt completely different about them.

Yanno.......I've never had that problem. I've ALWAYS liked girls.

Matter of fact, when I was around 6 or 7, I was invited to a sleep over with 2 friends of mine, Robert and Levi. When everyone else (the parents) went to sleep, we stayed up and watched tv. A bit later, they asked if I would be interested in doing gay sex things.

I repelled from the idea immediately. Something about it felt VERY wrong to me.

Since then? I've known that I'm very hetero and am also very happy with that. However, I've also met others who were the exact opposite from me and liked those of the same gender. What did I do? I (unlike most), asked why, and what did they feel about it. The answers I got were pretty enlightening. And yes, I've talked with gay males as well as lesbian females.

Nope.........sorry...........doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, it just matters that you love.

Robert and Danielle soon came to find out about a new, highly controversial, treatment for preteen kids with gender identity issues. The treatment allows kids to postpone puberty and avoid developing the physical attributes of the sex they were born with.

The treatment has been offered in the United States only for around four years. Essentially, kids who meet the criteria for gender identity disorder are given monthly injections of a medication that blocks their bodies from releasing sex hormones. This means that while the children continue to grow taller, for the three or four years they are on the medication, they are kept from maturing sexually.

Norman Spack, an endocrinologist at Children's Hospital in Boston, was one of the earliest practitioners of this treatment in the United States. He explains that doctors have actually been able to block sex hormones for decades — the technique has been used to treat everything from prostate cancer to fibroids — but it was only about 10 years ago that a medical group in the Netherlands decided to use it on kids like Armand.

"They had the idea. ... They decided to see what would happen if they took such a child that was in such distress over their body, [and stopped their body from] taking the form that they feared," he says.

To put off puberty, children –- usually between 10 and 13 — are injected with hormone blockers once a month. Spack explains that the blockers only affect the gonads, the organs responsible for turning boys into men and girls into women.

"If you can block the gonads, that is the ovary [in women] or the testis [in men], from making its sex steroids, that being estrogen or testosterone, then you can literally prevent ... almost all the physical differences between the genders," Spack explains.

Early hormone treatment would result in less suffering for a transgendered individual later on.

Read the whole article, Sky. The program makes the kids sterile. In America, only 20% of those taking the therapy actually went on to become the other gender.

Do some research about gender reassignment.

Dr. Johanna Olson runs the Transgender Youth Clinic at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles, one of the most highly regarded centers in the country for kids like Jackie. It has treated approximately 600 transgender kids.

"We often ask parents, Would you rather have a dead son than a live daughter? … These kids have a suicide rate that is astronomical compared to any other group," she said.

Olson says you can't force kids to be a gender they don't think they are. Gender identity isn't a choice; it's set at birth. Kids know whether they're a boy or a girl on the inside by the age of three or four.
Transgender Kids Pioneer Early Changes to Identity, Body - ABC News

One of the first things Thomas Lobel told his parents was that they were wrong.

The 3-year-old had learned sign language because he had apraxia, a speech impediment that hindered his ability to talk. The toddler pointed to himself and signed, "I am a girl."

"Oh look, he's confused," his parents said. Maybe he mixed up the signs for boy and girl. So they signed back. "No, no. Thomas is a boy."

But the toddler shook his head. "I am a girl," he signed back emphatically.

Transgender kids: Painful quest to be who they are - CNN.com

Last edited:

Do some research about gender reassignment.
Do some research about puberty.

And, do try to actually read what you link to. Only idiots link to something that supports the exact opposite of what they say.

No offense.

Recently, clinics in North America and Europe that specialize in children with gender identity disorder have begun recommending puberty-blocking hormones as early as age 12, and cross-sex hormone treatment as early as 16. The puberty-blockers prevent breast growth in biological girls, and keep boys from developing a booming baritone and facial hair. In a world where trans people have been murdered simply for crossing the gender line, the safety of being covert has appeal.

Puberty-blockers can also reduce the need for expensive surgeries down the road—biological women won't need mastectomies; biological men won't need surgeries to shave down masculine facial structures and Adam's apples. Transgender adults who never go through their bodies' natural puberty will be able to pass more easily.
Transgender kids: How young is too young for a sex change? - Page 2 - News - Minneapolis - City Pages

Recently, clinics in North America and Europe that specialize in children with gender identity disorder have begun recommending puberty-blocking hormones as early as age 12, and cross-sex hormone treatment as early as 16. The puberty-blockers prevent breast growth in biological girls, and keep boys from developing a booming baritone and facial hair. In a world where trans people have been murdered simply for crossing the gender line, the safety of being covert has appeal.

Puberty-blockers can also reduce the need for expensive surgeries down the road—biological women won't need mastectomies; biological men won't need surgeries to shave down masculine facial structures and Adam's apples. Transgender adults who never go through their bodies' natural puberty will be able to pass more easily.
Transgender kids: How young is too young for a sex change? - Page 2 - News - Minneapolis - City Pages
:lol:

From your own link, Sky:

""Families and people who encourage young people to take hormones are, in my opinion, hurting that child, and not helping them see the reality of this world," says Paul McHugh, a physician at Johns Hopkins .... "Well, that's terrible," he says. "That's a form of child abuse.""

As I said, you really should read what you link to.

And, inane and irrelevant spam is not all that bright of a method of discussion, but I totally understand why you would think it is.

No offense.

Bottom line. If you're clueless about the suffering that transgender people go through you have no business judging the parents of a transgender kid.
Oh, I'm not judging the parents as much as I judge the physician.

I am assuming the parents are ignorant about physiology, development, metabolism, etc.; the physician is not. He is more accountable.

Information is available in the links I provided. Here is a book that may help: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Transgender-Child-Handbook-Families-Professionals/product-reviews/1573443182/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back