Lions bounce back, beat Atlanta

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Atlanta was 2-0 going into Sunday's game, but they didn't look that good to me. But the Lions did, even though they were down to needing an OG to play at RT due to injuries. That might be the best I've seen the Lions defense play in quite awhile, 20-6 and they stymied the much-heralded Bijan Robinson to 10 carries for 33 yards. Now for the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night. I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't watch it, but for now it appears these 2 teams will battle it out for the division title. We'll see if the Vikings can overcome an 0-3 start and the Bears are, well the Bears.

Atlanta was 2-0 going into Sunday's game, but they didn't look that good to me. But the Lions did, even though they were down to needing an OG to play at RT due to injuries. That might be the best I've seen the Lions defense play in quite awhile, 20-6 and they stymied the much-heralded Bijan Robinson to 10 carries for 33 yards. Now for the Green Bay Packers on Thursday night. I don't have Amazon Prime so I can't watch it, but for now it appears these 2 teams will battle it out for the division title. We'll see if the Vikings can overcome an 0-3 start and the Bears are, well the Bears.
Damn Green Bay. I thought they lost yesterday. Why do they always do this to us???

Lion's looking good. If we can beat the Bears and Vikings twice and Green Bay once, that's 5 more wins. Puts us at 7 and 1. Then we just need to win half of the other games.

Damn Green Bay. I thought they lost yesterday. Why do they always do this to us???

Lion's looking good. If we can beat the Bears and Vikings twice and Green Bay once, that's 5 more wins. Puts us at 7 and 1. Then we just need to win half of the other games.
Green Gay was sort of lucky when QB Carr went out. After that NO seemed to almost give up?

The Steelers stink, and they trounced Atlanta 24-0 in the preseason.
Steelers stunk last night too. But the Raiders stunk more. Who goes for a FG from the 8 yd line down 8pts with 3 minutes left? Then they actually got the ball back later in the game (still down 8) and but GarrafoldO turned it over. It was a bad game for both teams. PITT made a long pass wide open to score 1st?

Last edited:
Steelers stunk last night too. But the Raiders stunk more.
Steelers have been pretty impressive at least on defense but the offense has shaped up a little.

Who goes for a FG from the 8 yd line down 8pts with 3 minutes left?
:laughing0301: Apparently the Raiders do. :21: Like the guys in the booth said, all they could assume is that they would get the ball back for another try! And thanks to the refs, they did. The game SHOULD have ended 30-7 instead of 23-18, but the refs were all but trying to guarantee a Raider win first with declaring a clean QB sack "Roughing The Passer," then calling "leverage" for a guy just jumping up to try to block a kick, then finally, DPI for clean coverage in the end zone.

Let me re-live it. I had it on mute to avoid Libstain woke BS and commercials, or burning up another remote control.//

LAS VEGAS -- Trailing by eight points and facing fourth-and-4 at the Pittsburgh Steelers' 8-yard line with 2:25 to play, Las Vegas Raiders coach Josh McDaniels sent out his field goal team.

Less than a minute earlier, Las Vegas kicker Daniel Carlson had converted a 48-yarder only for it to be negated by a Steelers penalty, putting the Raiders closer to the end zone.

"You have two choices there," McDaniels said after the Raiders fell to the Steelers, 23-18, on Sunday night. "You try to make it a five-point game [with the field goal], where you have an opportunity to win it with the touchdown if you get the ball back. Or you try to go for it there. And then if you happen to convert then you've got to make the two-point conversion."

Instead, the Steelers started at their own 25-yard line, got a first down and, by the time Las Vegas got the ball back, there were just 12 seconds on the clock, all of the Raiders' timeouts were burned and they were on their own 15-yard line.

A Jimmy Garoppolo interception -- his third of the game -- on a deep out pass to Davante Adams on the left sideline ended the game.

Let me re-live it. I had it on mute to avoid Libstain woke BS and commercials, or burning up another remote control.//
You should do what I do. Record the game on your DVR then start watching it about 30-45 minutes after start of game. That way, you can just skip over all the commercials, skip over half time and negate all of the commercial crap. Then, by the time you catch up to real time live, the game is nearly over and you miss nothing. They call that Time Shifting.

A Jimmy Garoppolo interception -- his third of the game
Garappolo had all his family there to see him win on his opening day at LV. He had like ten of them there. The refs did their absolute best to hand him a win. Steelers have a pretty good defense though in the likes of TJ watt (six sacks in just three games!). Highsmith and Fitzpatrick (SS) and their offense is slowly coming around.

Steelers stunk last night too. But the Raiders stunk more. Who goes for a FG from the 8 yd line down 8pts with 3 minutes left? Then they actually got the ball back later in the game (still down 8) and but GarrafoldO turned it over. It was a bad game for both teams. PITT made a long pass wide open to score 1st?
On 4th and goal down 8 you go for the td and 2 point conversion. With 2:25 seconds left? You think you're going to

a. Get the ball back
b. Have a better chance than 4th and goal to tie the game?

If you have any confidence you go for the TD and 2 point conversion. That was playing it too safe. If your D is great maybe but not if it's just so so.

On 4th and goal down 8 you go for the td and 2 point conversion. With 2:25 seconds left? You think you're going to

a. Get the ball back
b. Have a better chance than 4th and goal to tie the game?

If you have any confidence you go for the TD and 2 point conversion. That was playing it too safe. If your D is great maybe but not if it's just so so.

OAK did have three timeouts left. But PITT got a first down and screwed up the plan (eating up a bunch of clock).

I'm sure you know that preseason don't mean squat. I'm not saying Atlanta is a good team (or not), but they were 2-0 and that counts for something.

People keep telling me that but if it doesn't say anything about a team, then what good is it? Apparently, it doesn't even get players ready and conditioned to play either without getting injured right away--- look at all the players that came out in Week One and got hurt bad just playing without any big impacts.

Alas, football is just one more thing ruined by big corporate money.

People keep telling me that but if it doesn't say anything about a team, then what good is it? Apparently, it doesn't even get players ready and conditioned to play either without getting injured right away--- look at all the players that came out in Week One and got hurt bad just playing without any big impacts.

It gives you a chance to give the back up QB's some playing time. I never understand why the starter is still playing when the game is won. I bet Miami kept their starter out on the field in that 70-20 win the other day. Why? Put the back up QB in. You might need him.

It gives you a chance to see how certain linemen, cornerbacks, wide receivers, running backs perform. Guys you are on the fence about.

I wonder how many guys that play in the pre season games end up playing in a real game?

I never understand why the starter is still playing when the game is won.

Well sure, the preseason lets lesser players get practice and be evaluated; I didn't see the Miami game, but I have to wonder, when they got to 30 points, I think I would have pulled my key players then, and only put them back in had it been necessary to keep from losing, but certainly, I hope they didn't have the QB or anyone really important still on the field when they got to 40 points, 50 points, 60 and 70! Had they kicked a FG after that, they would have set a record for most points ever that has stood since 1966 I think!

Well sure, the preseason lets lesser players get practice and be evaluated; I didn't see the Miami game, but I have to wonder, when they got to 30 points, I think I would have pulled my key players then, and only put them back in had it been necessary to keep from losing, but certainly, I hope they didn't have the QB or anyone really important still on the field when they got to 40 points, 50 points, 60 and 70! Had they kicked a FG after that, they would have set a record for most points ever that has stood since 1966 I think!
I heard they purposely didn't try to break the record.

If my DVR tapes the Miami game , I bet you Tua Tagliabola played the entire game. I just don't get it.

I can tell you that almost all of the Lions' starters did not play in any of the 3 preseason games, and yet they lost some key players in their 1st 2 regular season games anyway. It probably matters when you have a new offense or defense and you want your starters to be out there against another team, but in Detroit's case they played a couple scrimmages against the Giants and Jaguars I believe. So, their starters did get some work in against another team's starters but in a more controlled environment.

That said....... let's beat the Packers on Thursday night.

I can tell you that almost all of the Lions' starters did not play in any of the 3 preseason games, and yet they lost some key players in their 1st 2 regular season games anyway. It probably matters when you have a new offense or defense and you want your starters to be out there against another team, but in Detroit's case they played a couple scrimmages against the Giants and Jaguars I believe. So, their starters did get some work in against another team's starters but in a more controlled environment.
That said....... let's beat the Packers on Thursday night.

All I know is that I don't remember seeing so many bad injuries back in the 1970s-1980s. And back then, they weren't paid millions of dollars, played THROUGH injuries, didn't run out of bounds everytime someone got near and used to try to kill each other.

I heard they purposely didn't try to break the record.

If my DVR tapes the Miami game , I bet you Tua Tagliabola played the entire game. I just don't get it.
Tua was relived in the fourth quarter by Mike White, with the game well in hand.

Forum List

Back