Limits on freedom in the US

Outrage after Netflix pulls comedy show criticising Saudi Arabia

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming service’s “claim to support artistic freedom”.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi – which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman – and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudis’ evolving account of what happened inside the country’s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.

So Tommy the stand up thing to do would be to change, retract or at least issue a "Mea Culpa"

I will never understand why no one can do this on the internet when they're wrong. It's so stupid.

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming service’s “claim to support artistic freedom”.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi – which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman – and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudis’ evolving account of what happened inside the country’s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.
They are a private company at liberty to do whatever is in their interests, having nothing whatsoever to do with limits on ‘freedom’ – in the US or anywhere else.
I state that in the OP. But their decision place a limit on your freedoms.

Like banning right wing trash. There are a host of comments on these forums about how the UK does not have freedom of speech like you enjoy in the US. I dont think its wrong to point out that there are limits on your free speech either.

How does this put claims of freedom in perspective? You seem mentally challenged
I am showing that there are limits on your freedom .

The government is not limiting the freedoms but a private entity is limiting what can be shown on it streaming service in select countries.

How do you not understand this Tommy?

Can provide actual evidence to show that the U.S. government requested Netflix to pull the episode and if not how do you come up with your nonsense that our freedoms are limited?

Private corporations can limit what is shown over their streaming service and do not have to stream something into Saudi Arabia if that country deem it unfit for it viewers.

Maybe you should ask why Saudi Arabia is limiting it people freedoms instead!

They are a private company at liberty to do whatever is in their interests, having nothing whatsoever to do with limits on ‘freedom’ – in the US or anywhere else.

Like banning right wing trash. There are a host of comments on these forums about how the UK does not have freedom of speech like you enjoy in the US. I dont think its wrong to point out that there are limits on your free speech either.

Awww, but the U.S. government is not limiting the free speech Tommy!

See you confused a private entity with the U.S. government!

A private entity can refuse to air that episode in Saudi Arabia and has nothing to do with our Government at all...

Maybe you should ask why Saudi Arabia is limiting the access instead of attacking America, but you will not because let face reality Tommy you hate America and her freedoms.

You don't have the freedom we do. In fact your government can and does JAIL people for their speech alone, which you endorse, Tommy. Our government cannot do that. That right there, objectively, means we are more free than you are, from our government. And thank God for it.

So Tommy the stand up thing to do would be to change, retract or at least issue a "Mea Culpa"

I will never understand why no one can do this on the internet when they're wrong. It's so stupid.

Tommy can not understand what freedom of choice mean.

He believe a private entity is the same as the U.S. Government.

A private entity can refuse to air that episode in Saudi Arabia and has nothing to do with our Government at all...

Maybe you should ask why Saudi Arabia is limiting the access instead of attacking America, but you will not because let face reality Tommy you hate America and her freedoms.

I am not a big fan of the Saudis and have zero expectation of civilized behaviour from our biggest ally in the middle east.

But permit me a smile. A few week back these boards were sinking under the weight of right wing outrage when Alex Jones was banned from several platforms. It was seen as an attack on free speech.

I have no problem with Jones being banned from anything. And I have no problem with the companies for making a commercial decision.

But it does not suggest that there is greater freedom of expression in the US than in the UK.

I am not a big fan of the Saudis and have zero expectation of civilized behaviour from our biggest ally in the middle east.

But permit me a smile. A few week back these boards were sinking under the weight of right wing outrage when Alex Jones was banned from several platforms. It was seen as an attack on free speech.

I have no problem with Jones being banned from anything. And I have no problem with the companies for making a commercial decision.

But it does not suggest that there is greater freedom of expression in the US than in the UK.

Can your government jail you for your speech Tommy?

Yes or no

Can the government jail you for your speech, Tommy?

Permit me a smile while I wait for your answer

Boy you are dense as can be!

As one poster pointed out they saw the show here in the States, so how was our freedom fringed on?

Can't explain that can you?

Nope, because it will show Netflix pulled it for the Saudi Audience and not the American audience.

Now please feel free to explain how the U.S. GOVERNMENT was involved in Netflix decision and if you can not then it is not our government that pulled the episode for the Saudi audience but a private entity!

Do you know the damn difference?

Now please feel free to explain how the U.S. GOVERNMENT was involved in Netflix decision and if you can not then it is not our government that pulled the episode for the Saudi audience but a private entity!

Do you know the damn difference?

Susan Rice's next gig: Netflix
Michael Olson, an analyst who covers Netflix for Piper Jaffray, said Netflix was probably eager to add someone with Rice's experience because of increased regulatory attention to the media industry. He cited net neutrality and scrutiny over big media mergers.

"There's been a lot of government involvement over the last several years," Olson said.

Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement that Rice "has tackled difficult, complex global issues with intelligence, integrity and insight." Rice said she is "thrilled" to join the board, and described Netflix as a "cutting-edge company."

~S~

How does this put claims of freedom in perspective? You seem mentally challenged
In the private sector yes there is limits.

and if there's gub'mit influence.........?????

~S~

and if there's gub'mit influence.........?????

~S~
You still have a half assed govt. that is unclear if they will ever stop abusing the 4th Amendment, so I'd say probably not, maybe so..

I fear, you've been wildly off the track with your advocacy. The decision by Netflix concerning an episode not shown in SA is no freedom of speech issue in the U.S. Also, excluding Alex Jones from having his horse manure promulgated on certain media platforms is not a freedom of speech issue (right-wingers' howling notwithstanding). The blockhead is still free to blab and rant to his heart's content. I find, if you are into researching restrictions to freedoms you have economic inequality and the ensuing power disparities, and curtailed political and economic participation as more promising venues. I'd also stay clear of inter-country comparisons, as these usually prove ambiguous at best, and more complex than a cursory view would suggest anyway. But that's just my view.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back