Limits on freedom in the US

Now please feel free to explain how the U.S. GOVERNMENT was involved in Netflix decision and if you can not then it is not our government that pulled the episode for the Saudi audience but a private entity!

Do you know the damn difference?

Susan Rice's next gig: Netflix
Michael Olson, an analyst who covers Netflix for Piper Jaffray, said Netflix was probably eager to add someone with Rice's experience because of increased regulatory attention to the media industry. He cited net neutrality and scrutiny over big media mergers.

"There's been a lot of government involvement over the last several years," Olson said.

Netflix (NFLX) CEO Reed Hastings said in a statement that Rice "has tackled difficult, complex global issues with intelligence, integrity and insight." Rice said she is "thrilled" to join the board, and described Netflix as a "cutting-edge company."

~S~

Alright, and again explain how the U.S. government had anything to do with Netflix decision not to show the episode in Saudi Arabia?

The U.S. Government did nothing to stifle the voices of free speech and because Susan Rice joined Netflix has nothing to do with it decision as I can see, but feel free to explain the Government involvement...

Outrage after Netflix pulls comedy show criticising Saudi Arabia

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming serviceā€™s ā€œclaim to support artistic freedomā€.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi ā€“ which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman ā€“ and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudisā€™ evolving account of what happened inside the countryā€™s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.
They are a private company at liberty to do whatever is in their interests, having nothing whatsoever to do with limits on ā€˜freedomā€™ ā€“ in the US or anywhere else.
I state that in the OP. But their decision place a limit on your freedoms.

Like banning right wing trash. There are a host of comments on these forums about how the UK does not have freedom of speech like you enjoy in the US. I dont think its wrong to point out that there are limits on your free speech either.
Once again you are wrong and completely stupid.

It was not pulled or banned here it was only pulled and banned in Saudi arabian you imbecile.

It on no way shape or form impacts us here.

Outrage after Netflix pulls comedy show criticising Saudi Arabia

Netflix has taken down an episode of a satirical comedy show critical of Saudi Arabia in the country after officials from the kingdom complained, sparking criticism from Human Rights Watch, which said the act undermined the streaming serviceā€™s ā€œclaim to support artistic freedomā€.

It comes three months after the brutal killing of the Saudi dissident and Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi ā€“ which US senators have blamed on the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman ā€“ and as the war in Yemen continues to devastate the country.

The American comedian Hasan Minhaj was critical of the Saudi heir in an episode of the standup show Patriot Act, delivering a wide-ranging monologue mocking the Saudisā€™ evolving account of what happened inside the countryā€™s consulate in Istanbul in October, when the journalist was killed.

I sort of think that they are a private company and can do whatever is in their interests. But it does make all these claims of "freedom" in perspective.
They are a private company at liberty to do whatever is in their interests, having nothing whatsoever to do with limits on ā€˜freedomā€™ ā€“ in the US or anywhere else.
I state that in the OP. But their decision place a limit on your freedoms.

Like banning right wing trash. There are a host of comments on these forums about how the UK does not have freedom of speech like you enjoy in the US. I dont think its wrong to point out that there are limits on your free speech either.

Awww, but the U.S. government is not limiting the free speech Tommy!

See you confused a private entity with the U.S. government!

A private entity can refuse to air that episode in Saudi Arabia and has nothing to do with our Government at all...

Maybe you should ask why Saudi Arabia is limiting the access instead of attacking America, but you will not because let face reality Tommy you hate America and her freedoms.

I am not a big fan of the Saudis and have zero expectation of civilized behaviour from our biggest ally in the middle east.

But permit me a smile. A few week back these boards were sinking under the weight of right wing outrage when Alex Jones was banned from several platforms. It was seen as an attack on free speech.

I have no problem with Jones being banned from anything. And I have no problem with the companies for making a commercial decision.

But it does not suggest that there is greater freedom of expression in the US than in the UK.
No, but the UK prosecuting people as criminals for speaking their mind proves conclusively that the US has greater respect for freedom of speech.

Forum List

Back