Life in Sao Paulo

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
image.img.jpg

No electricity. No running water. No sewage. How does this happen in a “civilized” country? I've seen it here close to home just across our southern borders. But, for Americans, this is an unbelievable lifestyle – even though our own homeless live this way.

What's truly sad is that this exists within walking distance of million dollar structures and facilities designed to host this year's World Cup, the only true world-wide championship in any sport. :eusa_hand:

Read this aljazeera story @ Housing shortage grips São Paulo as Brazil spends billions on World Cup | Al Jazeera America

What, no food stamps?
No social welfare payments each fortnight?
No public housing?

Yep, billions being spent by the govt etc on the World Cup, yet these poor people live in squalor.

This thread is a perfect example of what happens when a nation becomes over-populated...and how today the poor and homeless are expendable.

ttp://america.aljazeera.com/article...ripsbrazilasitsspendsbillionsonworldcup.html

Here, in the biggest city in South America, spiraling real estate prices, low salaries and a growing population have produced a drastic housing deficit.

#####

Don't ya just looove 'cheap labour', 'corporate greed', 'massive immigration', and 'drastic housing deficits'?
The way things are going this is what the whole of the West will look like eventually.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that Brazil is overpopulated nor do I think population is the problem. There are millions of poor and destitute that live near millionaires in the major cities of Brazil. The last several decades of economic boom for Brazil has made the rich, richer and the poor, poorer. None of this is new, but this is what happens in countries with free markets and little control over businesses and politicians. I know there are a lot of grassroots efforts in Brazil to make situations like these better, but its gonna take a lot of top down changes, too, in order to make significant change.

For Brazilians who live in the slums, many need to learn at a young age to how fend for themselves. This is rather unfortunate, and these kids wind up street smart or street tough. Fighting there becomes a daily part of life. It's no wonder that many of today's best MMA fighters are Brazilians.

the whole problem stems from population out growing manufacturing, supplies,earnings.....and products....

Forum List

Back