Life as a poor American is a life of slavery

deepthunk

Justadude with a keyboard
Feb 19, 2011
There has been a lot of talk in this country for years about the erosion of the middle class, however when I look at the income distribution in this country today I see that the income of the upper 50% of citizens is 87.3% of all the money earned in the country, and the income of the lower 50% is only 12.7%. There is in fact no middle class in America today; there is only us and them.

There are those who call this country is the land of opportunity, but as I live and breathe today I know without a doubt that this is a lie, it may have been true in the year 1900, but not having lived then I cannot say if it was just as much a lie in those days. The reality is there’s a glass ceiling in this nation at the 50% mark, if one is born above that line, one can have any opportunity under the sun and go as far as ones individual capabilities allow, but if one is born below that line ones only purpose in living so far as American society is concerned, is to work. And furthermore to work always for the benefit and profit of someone born above that 50% line.

Want your kids to go to college? Better be prepared to pay. Contrary to what the upper-class would have you believe federal student aid is of little use, the maximum a person of the lower class may receive is just over 30,000. This may sound like a significant amount to some, however in reality it will not even pay for an education at a state level university, to say nothing of the ivy league. Think your kids smart enough to earn a scholarship? Keep dreaming, the vast majority of scholarships offered are given to children from families who are already above that 50% line. Said scholarships are just given out as free benefits to coax kids with “the right breeding” in, or in some cases to help schools meet their minimum standards under affirmative action. Said scholarships will never go to a child from the lower 50% simply because of the kids own intellect. And as for that federal student aid money you can get, it will just about pay for community college, a degree that will get one nothing except a low level office job at best.

So in what other ways might the lower 50% “pull themselves up by the bootstraps” as republicans like to claim they should?

Want to be a movie star? Better be prepared to pay. The only way to get ones foot “in the door” of Hollywood is to pay an agent, an incredible expense that a performer just entering the field can’t hope to pay unless they are already members of the upper class, already born to that upper 50%. Without an agent, you won’t get laughed out of every studio in town, because you’ll never set foot in one.

Want to write a great movie? Same thing, better get an agent, and don’t think you can afford one unless you make over 100 grand a year already. Without an agent you will never sell a script in Hollywood, but take it from me, if your movies good enough you will darn well get it plagiarized in Hollywood, in fact you can get that in no time flat.

Want to write the great American novel? Better pay out the nose for an agent because without one no legitimate publisher in the country will look at your manuscript, unless it’s to allow an established writer from the upper 50% plagiarize you. Think you’re going to self-publish it? Dream on. The volume of material available for sale on amazon, kindle, and similar sites and services dictates that unless you pay out the nose for advertising, you will have zero sales.

Want to start any kind of business? Go give it a shot. While we have all heard the “success stories”, the reality is that such a small percentage of such ventures succeed as to make the real number of success’s insignificant. Of course good luck getting backing from the banks. The reality is if your born to the upper 50% like that idiot James O’Keefe, the banks will extend you a 50,000 dollar line of credit at the drop of a hat no matter how stupid your business model is, just like it did for him. But if you’re born to the lower 50%, good luck with the banks, No matter how good your business model is! Unlike the studios you will get the chance to be laughed out of every bank in town.

In the end it’s all a lie. If you’re born to the lower class, your sole purpose in this society is to work your ass off for the benefit of the upper class. Frankly I’m at the point where I would love nothing more than for a REAL class war to break out, because as far as I’m concerned that upper 50% can just kiss my fucking ass.

Why only single out America? I'm pretty sure that's the case all over the World no? And i bet it's much much worse being poor in most other nations. Our poor Citizens certainly don't have it the worst. In fact the definition of the term poor should probably be in question. What is poor in America? What is poor in most other nations around the World? Something to chew on i guess.

Depends on what you consider poor. I am poor and live quite confortable. Saves $500 a month out of my social security. Poor is fine with me. I live within my means. I don't borrow, beg or steal.
The new poor is yesterday's middle class.

There has been a lot of talk in this country for years about the erosion of the middle class, however when I look at the income distribution in this country today I see that the income of the upper 50% of citizens is 87.3% of all the money earned in the country, and the income of the lower 50% is only 12.7%. There is in fact no middle class in America today; there is only us and them.

There are those who call this country is the land of opportunity, but as I live and breathe today I know without a doubt that this is a lie, it may have been true in the year 1900, but not having lived then I cannot say if it was just as much a lie in those days. The reality is there’s a glass ceiling in this nation at the 50% mark, if one is born above that line, one can have any opportunity under the sun and go as far as ones individual capabilities allow, but if one is born below that line ones only purpose in living so far as American society is concerned, is to work. And furthermore to work always for the benefit and profit of someone born above that 50% line.

Want your kids to go to college? Better be prepared to pay. Contrary to what the upper-class would have you believe federal student aid is of little use, the maximum a person of the lower class may receive is just over 30,000. This may sound like a significant amount to some, however in reality it will not even pay for an education at a state level university, to say nothing of the ivy league. Think your kids smart enough to earn a scholarship? Keep dreaming, the vast majority of scholarships offered are given to children from families who are already above that 50% line. Said scholarships are just given out as free benefits to coax kids with “the right breeding” in, or in some cases to help schools meet their minimum standards under affirmative action. Said scholarships will never go to a child from the lower 50% simply because of the kids own intellect. And as for that federal student aid money you can get, it will just about pay for community college, a degree that will get one nothing except a low level office job at best.

So in what other ways might the lower 50% “pull themselves up by the bootstraps” as republicans like to claim they should?

Want to be a movie star? Better be prepared to pay. The only way to get ones foot “in the door” of Hollywood is to pay an agent, an incredible expense that a performer just entering the field can’t hope to pay unless they are already members of the upper class, already born to that upper 50%. Without an agent, you won’t get laughed out of every studio in town, because you’ll never set foot in one.

Want to write a great movie? Same thing, better get an agent, and don’t think you can afford one unless you make over 100 grand a year already. Without an agent you will never sell a script in Hollywood, but take it from me, if your movies good enough you will darn well get it plagiarized in Hollywood, in fact you can get that in no time flat.

Want to write the great American novel? Better pay out the nose for an agent because without one no legitimate publisher in the country will look at your manuscript, unless it’s to allow an established writer from the upper 50% plagiarize you. Think you’re going to self-publish it? Dream on. The volume of material available for sale on amazon, kindle, and similar sites and services dictates that unless you pay out the nose for advertising, you will have zero sales.

Want to start any kind of business? Go give it a shot. While we have all heard the “success stories”, the reality is that such a small percentage of such ventures succeed as to make the real number of success’s insignificant. Of course good luck getting backing from the banks. The reality is if your born to the upper 50% like that idiot James O’Keefe, the banks will extend you a 50,000 dollar line of credit at the drop of a hat no matter how stupid your business model is, just like it did for him. But if you’re born to the lower 50%, good luck with the banks, No matter how good your business model is! Unlike the studios you will get the chance to be laughed out of every bank in town.

In the end it’s all a lie. If you’re born to the lower class, your sole purpose in this society is to work your ass off for the benefit of the upper class. Frankly I’m at the point where I would love nothing more than for a REAL class war to break out, because as far as I’m concerned that upper 50% can just kiss my fucking ass.

Hellz yeah. Speak on!

For the love of God, there are plenty of issues that impoverished Americans face, which are rightfully worthy of discussion and concern. But to be so extreme as to compare it to slavery is ridiculous and simplistic. The bad thing is that, if we talk about the structure of our economy over the course of history, the working poor DO serve a similar purpose (within the structure) as slaves did in those times. But when you discuss irrationally simplistic and sensationalist things like this OP, those arguments that have actual merit end up being lost because they'll be associated with crap like this.

No offense but this is what happens to Americans who have never travelled outside the U.S. and have never observed real poverty. America's poor have it far better than any other nation on this Planet. If you're gonna be poor,this is the place to do it. Trust me,i've seen real poverty. Americans are far from being slaves. In fact i would call thet assertion downright insulting & preposterous. Travel people,travel.

Last edited:
Not slavery, southern slave owners were obligated to supply their slaves with adequate food and shelter to keep them healthy enough to do a day's work. Minimum wage will not even buy you that.

Only an ignorant OWS supporter would imply capitalism is slavery..

Do you know anything about slavery or do you just enjoy using strong language you know nothing about??

Do you even know where the word is derived from?

BTW, you would get your ass kicked in a "class war." If you're too fucking dumb to use words appropriately then you're too dumb to win a war... Not to mention 90% of the "bottom 50%" are young anti-Second Amendment retards that don't even know how to shoot a gun let alone own one..

Get educated and get a trade. Without a trade you're doomed in this World. I keep telling young people this. Without an education you'll end up begging for scraps at awful Corporate hell-holes like WalMart and MacDonalds. Now that is slavery. For an American anyway. You can bet they're gonna make your life miserable for that lousy $7.00 an hr. So get educated people or you will end up a slave at Walmart and MacDonalds.

Get educated and get a trade. Without a trade you're doomed in this World. I keep telling young people this. Without an education you'll end up begging for scraps at awful Corporate hell-holes like WalMart and MacDonalds. Now that is slavery. For an American anyway. You can bet they're gonna make your life miserable for that lousy $7.00 an hr. So get educated people or you will end up a slave at Walmart and MacDonalds.

If it matters Wall Mart and MacDonalds jobs are supposed to be for teenagers and the elderly who have a lot of time on their hands not careers...

Slavery is not a choice - these imbeciles have choices...

The OP demostrates the precise atmosphere that Obama has brought to this country since his election. Class division, and a defeatest mentality.

Most notably the defeatest mentality that unless you already "have it" you don't stand a chance.
What a bunch of horse shit.

SO Obama made conservatives say that black families were better off under slavery?

If it matters Wall Mart and MacDonalds jobs are supposed to be for teenagers and the elderly who have a lot of time on their hands not careers...

Slavery is not a choice - these imbeciles have choices...

Weren't you on another thread crying like a little bitch about how you were worse off today then four years ago.

Forum List

Back