Libs and Cons

Do you have any friends in real life that are the opposite of you politcally?

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

Of course.. My sister's Boyfriend who's like a brother to me is a Democrat. I don't think we've had a discussion where it ended with insults or going ballistic.. Most of the time we end up in the middle.. (In some cases) Actually, come to think of it, he might be a liberal but he's one of those that actually believes in the word Liberal.. You rarely see that in today's Politicians.

And then my ex was a Clinton Supporter.. :lol: Funny enough, we never had a fight about it, so that's a no again.

And then of course a couple of my buddies like Obama, but that's alright, we barely speak Politics with each other.

A lot of my friends are Cons, for one I live in a very conservative area. I also the only liberal out of my brothers and sister. My brother get into heated arguments, but we never stray from the argument, and never personally attack each other.

I assume that your brother never tells you to shut your slutty ass mouth.

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

Of course I do, and yes We are able to discuss things civilly. The difference is the Internet is not face to face. People on both sides say things they would not say in person and things are more heated because of it.

I like the Internet because I think you are getting more of what they think for real and less Diplomacy.

I have friends who disagree with my poolitical views all the time, hell my own wife does on occasion, and my 18 y/o does ALL the time.

The difference of course is that those are all face to face debates and not some anonymous poster on the internet who one can abuse over a simple disagreement.

I have friends who disagree with my poolitical views all the time, hell my own wife does on occasion, and my 18 y/o does ALL the time.

The difference of course is that...

...I own my wife and my son. When my wife disagrees, I tell her to make me a sammich, and when my son disagrees, I ground him.

The difference of course is that...

...I own my wife and my son. When my wife disagrees, I tell her to make me a sammich, and when my son disagrees, I ground him.

Hmmm - sounds like you may be a Muslim:lol:

Sure, because just like the internet, I have no desire to be in an echo chamber. I just say something to lighten the mood if it starts getting too hot.

Don't talk about politics and religion.
"I heard that advice repeatedly while I was growing up, from both my father and my mother. I heard it before my first date, before my first job interview and sometimes when we arrived at the homes of relatives and friends. It’s probably the best advice one can get concerning how to get along in society at large. But it’s damnably hard to follow.

That’s because, in politics and religion, “Perspective is everything.”

“Remember, son, don’t talk about politics or religion” | patriotnews.com

I work in politics, so clearly I talk about it at work.

Most of my friends, and all of my co-workers are liberal (why would you work for a liberal candidate if you were conservative).

But there's a bar in Albany, one of my favorite bars in the world.
It's a few blocks from the Statehouse and Senate/Assembly buildings, and it's where all the staffers go after work, from both sides of the aisle.

That's the best place to talk politics in the world. Better than the internet, because everyone's better informed, and it always stays jolly, because there's booze involved. I've made friends for live there, from both sides of the aisle.

Talking Politics in Bars is banned in my neck of the woods.
I was visting friends and family in Colo. and their was 5 libs in the car and me (conserative Dem) and when I said I was a conservative dem they all got into my face and said that they had never heard of such a thing. (enough said)

I bash all things RightWing at all times to all people of all ages, sexes, religions and persuasions.

I'm usually right on most things too...no matter how old, well-informed, educated or whatever the person is.

I don't think many of my friends are Confederates, however I do have a great uncle that's a Con. He knows not to get on that topic...it gets bashed fairly quickly, swift and with extreme prejudice.

I really have no tolerance for it.

I will engage with anyone in public or private on the matter as well. In my travels...Cons tend to be VERY ignorant...not a fact-based bunch of folks. Lots of radio-listeners, and I also listen to what they listen to, sometimes, just to be informed, so I know exactly how to deal with them when they come with their nonsense.

I enjoy it.

I have a cousin who is a Southern Democrat [Conservative]. It's interesting, to say the least, when we talk.

I bash all things RightWing at all times to all people of all ages, sexes, religions and persuasions.

I'm usually right on most things too...no matter how old, well-informed, educated or whatever the person is.

I don't think many of my friends are Confederates, however I do have a great uncle that's a Con. He knows not to get on that topic...it gets bashed fairly quickly, swift and with extreme prejudice.

I will engage with anyone in public or private on the matter as well. In my travels...Cons tend to be VERY ignorant...not a fact-based bunch of folks. Lots of radio-listeners, and I also listen to what they listen to, sometimes, just to be informed, so I know exactly how to deal with them when they come with their nonsense.

I enjoy it.

Son, there are many people on the left who could school many on the right.

You ain't one of them.

I have no problem talking to anybody concerning politics. And I can keep it freindly. Bothers my wife, however.

There needs to be a lot more political talks, talks aimed toward defining goals, instead of repeating partisan talking points.

Don't get rational on a political board, futhermucker!

The truth is that almost all of the radical PsOV expressed on political boards are those of extremist partisan dead enders with psychotic ailments.

In real life almost anybody can talk politics with civility.

But almost nobody has a clue.

On the internet everybody has a clue, and usually no more, and they are usually brainwashed lemmings pretending to be conservatards, libtards or independents.

Until we eliminate the demtards and repubtards from the political discourse there will be no real political discourse.

Imprison a party faithful today and save your nation from their evil malfeasance. Do it for God, your nation, your kids and even for shits and giggles.

Partisans are the devil's workshop elves.

Face it: the same kind of vilification formerly reserved for state enemies is now being spent on our own fellow citizens.

A house divided against itself cannot stand.

But feel free to instead assist the globalizationalists in destroying the nation state.

They don't give a shit about you, but thank you for your tardo support.

Have a free corndog on them.

I enjoy it.

iow you can't hang. You just like to fake it.

None of my friends follow politics, but the ones who voted last Presidential election voted for Obama. My favorite cousin is a very partisan Democrat, so it's fun to mess with him occasionally.

Do Libs and Cons differ fundamentally on where morality comes from?

"Why do conservatives like to talk about discipline and toughness, while liberals like to talk about need and help?

George Lakoff has argued that cons define morality in terms of obedience to a higher authority while libs stress empathy as their moral bedrock.

Forum List

Back