Talk about fear mongering

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RetiredGySgt, Aug 14, 2010.

1. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,986
  2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Hard to destroy a program that's already insolvent. Politicians are never going to do anything about Social Security other than use it for their own agenda until everybody paying into it finally gets screwed.

3. peach174

peach174 Gold Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,380
    Well Dems and Repubs can't do their programs if they can't get their hands on the surplus of social security. Oh wait a minute, no more surplus, just raiding!!

4. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,438
    The GOP wants to kill Grandma!

[​IMG]

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUaEtf1s23w]YouTube - Terror, Iraq, Weapons[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,730
  7. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    I remember when I saw this speech, I was all caught up in the "Bush/Republican" rhetoric of fear and lies. I never thought they would purposely damage this country worse than al Qaeda.

This speech was so far over the top, I went looking for information on Iraq. This was the speech that caused my "political awakening". Before this, I didn't know anything about Republicans/Democrats. I thought they were pretty much the same.

I found out that Iraq had been in an 8 year war with Iran, plus the butt kicking after Kuwait and that pretty much devastated it's military and lost an entire generation of young men.

Plus, the country was suffering terribly from sanctions. Plus it's only "WMD" was supplied by our allies. Plus, the main reason Bush and the Republicans gave for wanting to invade was because Iraq wouldn't allow inspectors, but they had to wait before the "strikes" to allow time for hundreds of "inspectors" to leave the country. Plus the fact that Iraq had very little industry or manufacturing and bought close to 100% of all it's weapons and machinery from outside the country, difficult because of sanctions.

After all this, I finally realized, "Fuck, we've been lied to".

Zogby poll, feb 28, 2006:

90 (that’s ninety) percent of US troops in iraq think they are there in ‘retaliation for saddams role in 9-11

Bush, talking about Iraq. The video is on Youtube for anyone to watch. It's been posted a hundred times at least:

BUSH: The terrorists attacked us and killed 3,000 of our citizens before we started the freedom agenda in the Middle East.

QUESTION: What did Iraq have to do with it?

BUSH: What did Iraq have to do with what?

QUESTION: The attack on the World Trade Center.

BUSH: Nothing. Except it’s part of — and nobody has suggested in this administration that Saddam Hussein ordered the attack. Iraq was a — Iraq — the lesson of September 11th is take threats before they fully materialize, Ken. Nobody’s ever suggested that the attacks of September the 11th were ordered by Iraq.

------------------------------------

The impact of Bush linking 9/11 and Iraq
    American attitudes about a connection have changed, firming up the case for war.

.By Linda Feldmann, Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor / March 14, 2003

WASHINGTON
    In his prime-time press conference last week, which focused almost solely on Iraq, President Bush mentioned Sept. 11 eight times. He referred to Saddam Hussein many more times than that, often in the same breath with Sept. 11.

The numbers
    Polling data show that right after Sept. 11, 2001, when Americans were asked open-ended questions about who was behind the attacks, only 3 percent mentioned Iraq or Hussein. But by January of this year, attitudes had been transformed. In a Knight Ridder poll, 44 percent of Americans reported that either "most" or "some" of the Sept. 11 hijackers were Iraqi citizens. The answer is zero. (How did Americans get this idea? Connect the dots. "Slam dunk" "Vice President Cheney "it was pretty well confirmed that Iraq had contacts with 9/11 hijackers.)

Hussein, a secularist, and bin Laden, a Muslim fundamentalist, are known to despise each other.

The impact of Bush linking 9/11 and Iraq / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

------------------------------------------------

After Iraq, do Republicans feel they can trick the American people as easily as they did then? Looking at what is going on in their party, I would say, "Yes".

8. Greenbeard

Greenbeard Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,323
    Your article offers 4 direct quotes from Obama:

1) Obama said in his weekly radio and Internet address Saturday: "We have an obligation to keep that promise, to safeguard Social Security for our seniors, people with disabilities and all Americans — today, tomorrow and forever."

2) Some Republican leaders in Congress are "pushing to make privatizing Social Security a key part of their legislative agenda if they win a majority in Congress this fall," Obama said.

3) He contended that such privatization was "an ill-conceived idea that would add trillions of dollars to our budget deficit while tying your benefits to the whims of Wall Street traders and the ups and downs of the stock market."

4) Obama said he's "committed to working with anyone, Democrat or Republican, who wants to strengthen Social Security."

Which one(s) are you taking issue with?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,106
    The Democrats are dead wrong on this. Social security is broken already. It has to be fixed. The longer we put it off, the worse we're going to be in the end.

SS has to become either a real pension system or something along the lines of a 401k. The math doesn't work for the current system.

10. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,995
    The problem with Republicans is they are more than willing to make it easier for corporations to move American jobs overseas. We've seen that, very recently in fact. It was called, "The Bush Years".

Instead of "growing" the system here, they only think about how to divide "less" among the American middle class. Where are their ideas for "growing" the American economy.

They are against education. They are against investing in America. What are they for?

More "gravel roads"?

Rural Mich. counties turn failing roads to gravel | roads, mich, counties - Top Stories - WWMT NEWSCHANNEL 3

More than 20 of the state's 83 counties have reverted deteriorating paved roads to gravel in the last few years, according to the County Road Association of Michigan. The counties are struggling with their budgets because tax revenues have declined in the lingering recession.