Libs and Cons

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Do you have any friends in real life that are the opposite of you politcally?

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

Are you able to discuss your viewpoints in a calm, educated manner, or do you go ballistic if they don't agree with your POV?

This is how I see it...

The wingnuts from either side either have no friends or at least have no friends that differ from them politically, PERIOD.

The rest of us regular people either do not discuss politics outside of here, or we discuss it civilly with our other non-wingnut friends...

...just like the normal people on USMB generally speak to the other normal people on USMB in a calm, educated manner.

If all of the ultra-wingnuts were banned for one day, this place would be calm, educated, and civilized, rather than a zoo.

I know all of 3 REAL liberals and they are my friends. I have no leftwingnut friends. They couldn't discuss boiling water without blaming Bush, Palin, Katrina and/or the GOP.

I know all of 3 REAL liberals and they are my friends. I have no leftwingnut friends. They couldn't discuss boiling water without blaming Bush, Palin, Katrina and/or the GOP.

What about rightwingnut friends?

My very best friend in the world, and Mini-Echo's Godmother, is a HUGE Conservative.

I love her like a sister.

One of my oldest friends (I've known him virtually my entire life) works at the Heritage Foundation. We're perfectly able to talk about policy issues in a calm and respectful way, even though he knows I have no love for Heritage.

I have a lot of friends I disagree with. Most of the people I'm closest to are active politically, so am I. So it's hard to keep it out of discussions.

We play a lot of practical jokes on each other. We tease and argue and at the end of the day we usually end up laughing about it. It's never personal.

All of my friends are conservative or they don't tell me what they think politically. The suspect the liberals either don't care enough to argue or realize I know what the fuck I'm talking about when it comes to politics and don't wanna' get pwned.

My wife, who is conservative, has friends of all political stripes to include one delusional Obama worshiper. She also has Japanese friend who is quite the Liberal but all she knows is the Lib talking points. Bush committed war crimes, Republicans are fascist, etc. She's a Japanese version of "Truth Matters". She ate dinner at our place once. I'll spare the details but suffice to say I told her never to set foot back in my house again. Our home is our castle, I am the King, my wife is the Queen and I will maintain peace in our home.

My best friend at work is a conservative married to a liberal. She's a real nice lady and they have a wonderful family, she's not yer' typical foaming at the mouth leftwingnut. She's been reading books by conservative authors so I figger she'll come around!

At work, just to be safe, I have a rule of never starting a political or religious conversation. I'll participate in, but never start one.

Last edited:
I leave the room when people talk politics (or gossip) when I am at work.

I only discuss political issues with my family and closest friends, all of whom are Republicans or Independents.

Many of my colleagues are Dems, but even more conservative than I on some issues. I do not know any self proclaimed "liberals" They are a very small majority in this country I believe they exist only in Congress, higher ed., and on the internet. Lol

A lot of my friends are Cons, for one I live in a very conservative area. I also the only liberal out of my brothers and sister. My brother get into heated arguments, but we never stray from the argument, and never personally attack each other.
I have one friend that crossed the line, and I didn't talk to her for awhile. We did make up, and we set down some ground rules.

Oh, I never talk politics at work. Or with most of the people I see every day. That's why y'all get stuck with me here. ;)

The posts here so far are interesting to read. I had no idea some places were that homogenous, really.

Forum List

Back