Let's get down to it: Define Conservative!

Nuc said:
Nice definition.

But a lot of people who identify themselves as conservatives favor criminalization of drugs, wiretaps without warrants, mandatory education, massive taxation to subsidize armaments manufacturers and a plethora of other things that lead to a reduction of freedom and expansion of government both in size and control.

I think your definition comes closer to libertarian than what most conservatives consider themselves.

I am a libertarian, I wouldn't be ashamed of that definition....

no1tovote4 said:

If Jeff's definition is the definition of conservative, I am a conservative.

What are the big government, pro-deficit, tax and spend, socially intrusive, religiously motivated, nation building, social engineering, gerrymandering Republicans of today called then?

Nuc said:
What are the big government, pro-deficit, tax and spend, socially intrusive, religiously motivated, nation building, social engineering, gerrymandering Republicans of today called then?
Democrats!

gop_jeff said:
A conservative is one who believes in maximum individual liberty and minimum government, as defined in the Constitution.

Add personal responsibility to the mix and it's complete :)

Nuc said:
If Jeff's definition is the definition of conservative, I am a conservative.

Neo-Cons.... At least that is what they appear to like calling them on DU and other liberal sites.

no1tovote4 said:
Me too, if only they would get some worthy candidates. :smoke: :coffee3: I've been voting mostly GOP by default.

Bonnie said:
Add personal responsibility to the mix and it's complete :)
With the caveat that 'some things' change in 'times of war.'

I guess that I'm too late, but I'll throw in my 2 cents

1. Limited government
2. Free market capitalism
3. Personal responsibility/public morality

Kathianne said:
Me too, if only they would get some worthy candidates. :smoke: :coffee3: I've been voting mostly GOP by default.

OK, I'll run on the LP ticket. Let's see, I'll need a running mate. NO1TOVOTE4 I guess should get the call.

Secretary of State - Kathianne
Cheif of Staff - Gunny
Defense Sec - Gunny
There we go, cutting big government already!
National Sec Advisor - Karl Marx

I'll HAVE TO THINK ABOUT THE REST.

Now, we will need some volunteers to travel around to Salvation Army houses and get signatures to get me on the ballot.

Emmett said:
OK, I'll run on the LP ticket. Let's see, I'll need a running mate. NO1TOVOTE4 I guess should get the call.

Cheif of Staff - Gunny
Defense Sec - Gunny

Now, we will need some volunteers to travel around to Salvation Army houses and get signatures to get me on the ballot.

LMAO. Damn, you ARE asking for it. :laugh:

Thats what a NSA does Karl!

Gunny, I want someone who can shoot their way out of bad situation on my team. Chances are I am gonna be in some JUST AS SOON as I arrive on the hill. Only one thing though, keep your hands off Teddy, he's mine!

Emmett said:

Cheif of Staff - Gunny
Defense Sec - Gunny

OMG! Am I PC enough? :laugh:

Emmett said:
Thats what a NSA does Karl!

Gunny, I want someone who can shoot their way out of bad situation on my team. Chances are I am gonna be in some JUST AS SOON as I arrive on the hill. Only one thing though, keep your hands off Teddy, he's mine!

Teddy's so pickled doing anything to him would probably be doing him a favor.

I'm quite sure I can find other sources of "amusement". ;)

Nuc said:
Nice definition.

But a lot of people who identify themselves as conservatives favor criminalization of drugs, wiretaps without warrants, mandatory education, massive taxation to subsidize armaments manufacturers and a plethora of other things that lead to a reduction of freedom and expansion of government both in size and control.

I think your definition comes closer to libertarian than what most conservatives consider themselves.

Well, a lot of Republicans advance those ideas. Not all conservatives do. For example, I will say (and have said many times before) that the federal government should not fund education at all. Not one penny. I don't think that corporate welfare is good either. There are also conservative/libertarian arguments against outlawing drugs and the wiretap thing, though I personally haven't seen any evidence that the wiretaps are unconstitutional (but that's a story for another thread).

PS - thanks for the quote in your sig! :D

gop_jeff said:
Well, a lot of Republicans advance those ideas. Not all conservatives do. For example, I will say (and have said many times before) that the federal government should not fund education at all. Not one penny. I don't think that corporate welfare is good either. There are also conservative/libertarian arguments against outlawing drugs and the wiretap thing, though I personally haven't seen any evidence that the wiretaps are unconstitutional (but that's a story for another thread).

PS - thanks for the quote in your sig! :D

Shameless PR!!!

gop_jeff said:
A conservative is one who believes in maximum individual liberty and minimum government, as defined in the Constitution.

So by your own definition George Bush is not considered a conervative, correct?

I mean he believes in massive government.

OCA said:
So by your own definition George Bush is not considered a conervative, correct?

I mean he believes in massive government.

I would agree, on many issues, Bush is not a conservative. Frankly, as far as his domestic policies are concerned, I'm disappointed, though I do think he's doing the right thing in prosecuting the WOT.

gop_jeff said:
For example, I will say (and have said many times before) that the federal government should not fund education at all. Not one penny. :D

The State should not be in any business the private sector does better and cheaper. Education is perhaps the best example.

Whereas there is an ideal set of attributes, the reality is: the concept is fractionated in accordance with the reasons one takes up this political identity. You may be a one-issue religious conservative or more broadly, a social conservative, or a neoconservative, or a libertarian or economic conservative. You may also be a traditional type conservative: low taxes, small government being your preference, although we haven't seen this kind of conservatism implemented since Eisenhower, perhaps. Realities are: there are many things that define a conservative, but there is no monolithic type except idealistically.

As seen by many attempts at this definition, some conservatives may simply define themselves as being against liberal ideals.

Forum List

Back