Let's get down to it: Define Conservative!

bush lover

Feb 18, 2005
A few of you have called me a DU troll (whatever that is), a caricaturist, a fake conservative. Whatever. That's okay. That's free speech. I really think our President believes in freedom, as Goldwater and Reagan did. But I think some of his helpers dislike freedom, as defined by our Constitution, and by Jefferson and Madison, true American patriots! My definition of Conservatism is: Maximum freedom, maximum personal responisibility; the less government the better. And what's yours? Does Conservatism still mean to conserve our freedom? Do you believe in our Constitution? Or is it just outdated parchment? Lay it all out, plain and simple. Do you all believe in real freedom, or pretend freedom? The next election will be about our belief in freedom.

Conservatives believe in the values that have made societies strong and cohesive throughout history, including industriousness, identity, morality and purpose. Libs believe in handouts, confusion of identity, immorality, and purposelessness.

bush lover said:
A few of you have called me a DU troll (whatever that is), a caricaturist, a fake conservative. Whatever. That's okay. That's free speech. I really think our President believes in freedom, as Goldwater and Reagan did. But I think some of his helpers dislike freedom, as defined by our Constitution, and by Jefferson and Madison, true American patriots! My definition of Conservatism is: Maximum freedom, maximum personal responisibility; the less government the better. And what's yours? Does Conservatism still mean to conserve our freedom? Do you believe in our Constitution? Or is it just outdated parchment? Lay it all out, plain and simple. Do you all believe in real freedom, or pretend freedom? The next election will be about our belief in freedom.

I am what I call a "Conservative Libertarian"...

I believe in certain principles... listed here in no particular order.

1. The individual is the ultimate minority.
2. The Constitution was written to protect the minority from the government.
3. That no law should be made without a direct and obvious victim.
4. The least amount of government possible to get the necessary job done.
5. The limits placed in the constitution on the government should be strictly enforced.
6. That the free market is the ultimate expression of individual liberty.
7. That "government help" is an oxymoron and is actually synonomous with "ultimate dependancy".

There are probably more, but I do not doubt that you can get the basic idea.

Instead of going on myself with my own explaination of what conservative is, I was going to do some research first and see if I could find a website that said what I was going to, and just copy and paste it.

So, I googled "conservative values", and all I found was a shit load of liberal websites bashing conservatives. Does this surprize me, since everyone knows google is a bastion for liberal gargabe? No.

So my short answer... what is a conservative? The direct opposite of a liberal.

bush lover said:
The next election will be about our belief in freedom.

How so?

The Patriot Act, NSA monitoring of terrorists, freedom to kill an unborn? In which manner will politicians be debating freedom this election?

no1tovote4 said:
And if you truly do not know what DU really is, click my nutjob link in my signature.

That shit is hard to look at no1. Such hate, such venom and loathing for America... maaaaaan what a bunch of lunatics.

Pale Rider said:
That shit is hard to look at no1. Such hate, such venom and loathing for America... maaaaaan what a bunch of lunatics.

I am trying to associate it in search engines with that word... spiders find my link and associate it and if it happens often enough it will end up being the top search option for that word....

A conservative recognizes the realities of human nature. It's that simple. A liberal believes human nature is infinitely malleable. It isn't.

gop_jeff said:
A conservative is one who believes in maximum individual liberty and minimum government, as defined in the Constitution.

Nice definition.

But a lot of people who identify themselves as conservatives favor criminalization of drugs, wiretaps without warrants, mandatory education, massive taxation to subsidize armaments manufacturers and a plethora of other things that lead to a reduction of freedom and expansion of government both in size and control.

I think your definition comes closer to libertarian than what most conservatives consider themselves.

Madison, Jefferson, John Adams, James Monroe, Ben Franklin, John Hancock,

All LIBERTARIANS folks!!!!!!!

You know we argue regularly here about R's & D's! Both have a distorted idea of what the forfathers vision of America was and you all know it! This is not the same world our forfathers lived in!

Constantly referrring to the Constitution for reference when making Conservative arguments nowadays is an OXYMORON! Conservatives of today would have been the opposition party in our first Presidential election.

Drugd were not illegal! Dueling was not illegal! Remember Aaron Burr and Al Hamilton!

Ben Franklin would roll over in his grave and vomit if he knew that we were allowing people's property to be taken away so a Hotel could be built. Now you all (each one of you) search you souls and tell me that is not true!

Peoples individual business was NONE of governments! So stop referrring to the Constitution when arguing about modern day issues of government. The Constitution has nothing to do with our daily life. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pissed all over the Constitution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Constitution did bot cover matters of Privacy from a modern day standpoint! Wiretapping? Come on, you know what John Adams would have thought about that!

The other day two illegal trespassers from another country entered the farm of an Arizona landowner and ended up OWNING the farm! Now what do you really think James Madison's opinion would have been about that! Come on!
Stop referring to the Constitution when discussing today's government. It has nothing to do with it!

OUR COUNTRY IS NOT / REPEAT.........NOT governed by the US Constitution!!!!!!

I had a neighbor who when going through a divorce had his wife call authorities and claim he was a drug dealer. Authorities entered his home, arrested him for two joints, took his property, his cars, his tools and his life. HE WAS NEVER CONVICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HE NEVER GOT HIS PROPERTY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the hell do you really think our forfathers would have thought about that!

Folks, my point is that we do not live in the America of 1789. We never will again until a TRUE Libertarian government is in place in this country. That is obviously not going to happen so give it up!

Emmett said:
Madison, Jefferson, John Adams, James Monroe, Ben Franklin, John Hancock,

All LIBERTARIANS folks!!!!!!!

You know we argue regularly here about R's & D's! Both have a distorted idea of what the forfathers vision of America was and you all know it! This is not the same world our forfathers lived in!

Constantly referrring to the Constitution for reference when making Conservative arguments nowadays is an OXYMORON! Conservatives of today would have been the opposition party in our first Presidential election.

Drugd were not illegal! Dueling was not illegal! Remember Aaron Burr and Al Hamilton!

Ben Franklin would roll over in his grave and vomit if he knew that we were allowing people's property to be taken away so a Hotel could be built. Now you all (each one of you) search you souls and tell me that is not true!

Peoples individual business was NONE of governments! So stop referrring to the Constitution when arguing about modern day issues of government. The Constitution has nothing to do with our daily life. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We pissed all over the Constitution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Constitution did bot cover matters of Privacy from a modern day standpoint! Wiretapping? Come on, you know what John Adams would have thought about that!

The other day two illegal trespassers from another country entered the farm of an Arizona landowner and ended up OWNING the farm! Now what do you really think James Madison's opinion would have been about that! Come on!
Stop referring to the Constitution when discussing today's government. It has nothing to do with it!

OUR COUNTRY IS NOT / REPEAT.........NOT governed by the US Constitution!!!!!!

I had a neighbor who when going through a divorce had his wife call authorities and claim he was a drug dealer. Authorities entered his home, arrested him for two joints, took his property, his cars, his tools and his life. HE WAS NEVER CONVICTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HE NEVER GOT HIS PROPERTY BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What in the hell do you really think our forfathers would have thought about that!

Folks, my point is that we do not live in the America of 1789. We never will again until a TRUE Libertarian government is in place in this country. That is obviously not going to happen so give it up!

A True conservative does not believe in the whole Drugs are bad etc concept. Thats a Republican concept and a Religious Right concept. A True conservative is for as little government involvement in the daily lives of people as possible.

Nuc said:
Nice definition.

But a lot of people who identify themselves as conservatives favor criminalization of drugs, wiretaps without warrants, mandatory education, massive taxation to subsidize armaments manufacturers and a plethora of other things that lead to a reduction of freedom and expansion of government both in size and control.

I think your definition comes closer to libertarian than what most conservatives consider themselves.

And a lot of people who consider themselves open minded, progressive Liberals are anything but open minded or progressive. So it works both ways.

Personally, I just think what I think. I only call my self Conservative because my opinions tend to be more toward the opinions that are considered Conservative is today.

Forum List

Back