Let's Cook Thanksgiving Dinner!!!!

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
Okay, was in a discussion with a friend just now who is looking for a dynamite side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.

I myself want some really gorgeous beautiful fruit side dish suitable for a crowd.

Who can help us out?

Currently my menu is:

Roast Turkey
Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Corn Casserole

Assorted pies

(I'm feeding a crowd)

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I'm cooking 2 Turkeys, mashed potatoes, scalloped patatoes, collard greens, black eyed peas, yams and home made macaroni and cheese, might add other stuff also.

Yum. We do the black eyed peas for New Years though. Old Southern tradition that you have a day of good luck for every black eyed pea you eat. :)

The collard greens, properly seasoned, are a particular favorite of ours too.

But I still need that dynamite fruit side dish folks. Somebody come up with something.

I'm feeding a side dish and rolls and pies to a dinner for four, plus give-aways and leftovers. My friend is doing the turkey so I would kinda like to splurge a bit on my contribution, plus the pumpkin out front is still firm, so I'd like to make a pie from scratch.

BTW, this sounds heavenly.....

Cooks.com - Recipe - Deep Dish Cranberry Apple Raisin Pie

Foxfyre...I am a rabid cranberries fan, but I dun see why we treat them as a garnish. There have to be great fresh/steamed cranberry recipes. I cannot suggest a fruit dish for ya unless you tell me more...you doing apples and pears? Citrus? Exotics?

I'm feeding a side dish and rolls and pies to a dinner for four, plus give-aways and leftovers. My friend is doing the turkey so I would kinda like to splurge a bit on my contribution, plus the pumpkin out front is still firm, so I'd like to make a pie from scratch.

BTW, this sounds heavenly.....

Cooks.com - Recipe - Deep Dish Cranberry Apple Raisin Pie

Foxfyre...I am a rabid cranberries fan, but I dun see why we treat them as a garnish. There have to be great fresh/steamed cranberry recipes. I cannot suggest a fruit dish for ya unless you tell me more...you doing apples and pears? Citrus? Exotics?

That pie does looks scrumptious but doesn't look like it would wait well which for our schedule it would have to do.

Since all the casserole sides are on the heavy side, I'm thinking something lighter for a fruit salad--maybe gelatin or just fresh fruit, but would like something a little special and gorgeous. I do a good cranberry relish but it is a garnish and not really a side.

If you budget will allow, try a dish of the exotics. Star fruit and kiwis both last quite well without a citrus drizzle like apples need; pomegrantes are fun and most people have never eaten one fresh; mangoes are not my thing but many people love them. You could buy a foam form, insert toothpicks in the slices and make a "tree" or whatnot, if you really wanna get carried away. I bet you could do the slices the night before, if you can refrigerate the tree; if not, surely the morning of for an afternoon meal.

And a chocolate fondue to dip them in might be fun as well!

2 deep fried turkey
deep fried Standing rib roast
King crab legs
Salad
Anything else, herself will have to provide.
I dont do sides anymore.

Okay, was in a discussion with a friend just now who is looking for a dynamite side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.

I myself want some really gorgeous beautiful fruit side dish suitable for a crowd.

Who can help us out?

Currently my menu is:

Roast Turkey
Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Corn Casserole

Assorted pies

(I'm feeding a crowd)

What is your corn casserole recipe?

You gotta have sides Mr. F. :)

And wow Maddie, you're WAY more ambitious with the fruit than I think I'll have time to be. But keep thinking. . . . .

Here's a great sweet potato side that is showy and tasty:

Sweet Potato CasseroleServes 6-8

Ingredients:
5 medium sweet potatoes (about 3 lbs) scrubbed clean, peels left on
1 tbs butter (plus whatever is needed to grease casserole dish)
1/4 cup light cream
1/2 tbs salt
1/2 cup or so of brown sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
about 1 cup mini marshmallows
about 1 cup pecans - I like my pecans slightly toasted for this

Directions:
1. Boil sweet potatoes in the skin in water in large pot over high heat until fork tender about 20 minutes. Peel immediately.

2. Set oven to broil.

3. In large bowl, use potato ricer, fork, or potato masher to mash the potatoes while still hot. Add 1 tbs butter, the salt, brown sugar, and all of the cream and mix to combine.

4. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish with butter.

5. Add the mashed sweet potato mixture. Place the marshmallows and pecans on to the mixture in a fun pattern

4. Broil for 2 minutes or until the marshmallows are brown and gooey. Enjoy!

One idea for design:

116.jpg

Last edited:
Actually I rarely eat any meat. I would rather just have the sides!

I ♥ dark meat, but yeah, the sides are the best. Dinner rolls I'll get at the bakery -- I never could make a decent yeast bread. But for sides I want something very fancy and yet bland enough everyone will like. I can't eat sweet potatoes....they're one of only a few veggies I just cannot abide. I even like beets, though not for T-Day.

Whaca got for brussel sprouts, ladies?

I love Brussel Sprouts but it is one of the few veggies that Mr. Foxfyre will eat only under extreme duress, so I don't fix them for meals he attends.

Here is an interesting recipe that was given to me though. I haven't tried it but it looks really good:

Wine-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Serves: 8

The slightly sweet glaze makes Brussels sprouts taste deceptively rich.

2 pounds Brussels sprouts
1/2 cup dry red wine
3 tablespoons agave nectar or maple syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

Trim the stems from the Brussels sprouts and cut an X into the base, about 1/4 inch deep.

In a small bowl, combine the wine, agave nectar, and soy sauce and stir together. Transfer to a 3-quart saucepan along with 1/2 cup water and the Brussels sprouts. Stir together, then cook, covered, at a gentle simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes.

Dissolve the cornstarch in a small amount of water. Stir into the saucepan quickly, then cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a covered casserole dish to serve.

Chez Boe Menu

Appetizers contributed by my three sisters (so these will be surprises).

Roast Turkey (26 lbs)
Cornbread Stuffing
Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes
Gravy! Lots and lots and lots of Gravy!
Sauteed Brussel Sprouts
Sweet Potatoes
Sauteed Herbed Portobellos
Cranberry Sauce (homemade)
Wheat Dinner Rolls (butter horns, homemade)

Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie

Many bottles of a very excellent properly aged Pinot Noir.
Coffee
Other frosty beverages

Last edited:

Forum List

Back