New Orleans for Thanksgiving - My Amtrak adventure

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
We decided to take the Crescent train to New Orleans for Thanksgiving. Partly to test whether we want to take some other Amtrak trips when my love retires next year.

Had Thanksgiving dinner at Lula's Grill and Distillery. Below are pics of the delicious fare:

8 - Thankgiving fare.jpg

Rabbit & Sausage Gumbo
1 - Rabbit & Sausage Gumbo.jpg

Iberian salad with sweet & spicy pecans and a smoked poblano ranch dressing
2 - Iberian Salad with sweet & spicy pecans and smoked poblano ranch dressing.jpg

Deep fried turkey and beef tenderloin
3 - Deep fried turkey and beef tenderloin.jpg

4 - Corn Maque Choux.jpg

Corn Maque Choux

5 - Olive oil smashed potatoes.jpg

Olive oil Smashed Potatoes

6 - Mac & Cheese.jpg

Mac & Cheese

7 - Crispy Brussell Sprouts.jpg

Crispy Brussell Sprouts

Nontraditional dinner, for sure. But it was absolutely delicious!

Last edited:
o friend took the crescent with a sleeper...she forgot it was a closed air system and smoked a joint in her sleeper...she just didnt open her door when the usher came to it

o friend took the crescent with a sleeper...she forgot it was a closed air system and smoked a joint in her sleeper...she just didnt open her door when the usher came to it

The trip was pretty long, compared to driving, but worth it.

I thought about bringing an edible, but ended up not doing it.

So is Amtrac the new Trailways or is it still too expensive for the goblins?

Corn looks really good.....Everything else seemed a bit overdone but tasty.

I've noticed as I get older and the taste buds start to go away a bit some overdone stuff seems to taste better to me.....Go figure.

So is Amtrac the new Trailways or is it still too expensive for the goblins?

Corn looks really good.....Everything else seemed a bit overdone but tasty.

I've noticed as I get older and the taste buds start to go away a bit some overdone stuff seems to taste better to me.....Go figure.

I think the seats in coach aren't that pricey. And they have a lot more legroom. Plus, you can walk around and go to the dining car and buy a snack or a drink.

We had the Roomette on the way down, and the Bedroom on the way back. If you can, spring for the Bedroom. The Roomette was seriously claustrophobic.

Plus, if you have either of the above you get up to 3 meals, depending on the length of the trip. It is pre-made and microwaved, but it was all good.

We did Christmas in New Orleans a couple years ago. We really enjoyed the French Quarter. Food was outstanding.

My little girl outside Brennan’s
EC4DF4F3-41D6-45D6-BE5C-5DE4715E1AF7.jpeg

We did Christmas in New Orleans a couple years ago. We really enjoyed the French Quarter. Food was outstanding.

My little girl outside Brennan’s

We did Xmas in New Orleans 7 or 8 years ago. It was great!

We were told about a little bar at the edge of the French Quarter called Erin Rose. The locals all bring a dish for a potluck Xmas dinner. If you bring food you get to eat for free.

The food was AMAZING!

Forum List

Back