Let's Cook Thanksgiving Dinner!!!!

For the Turkey Cookers, here are my helpful hints on cooking a Big Bird:

- Clean and then soak the turkey in a salt bath for a couple of hours
- Pat dry and add the stuffing
- Rub the outside with softened butter (I prefer unsalted)
- Cover the breast portion with foil.
- Roast at 350 degrees for 12 minutes per pound.
- Take the foil off the breast portion half way through the estimated cooking time.

The foil slows down the cooking of the breast meat so that it doesn't dry out. And please believe me on the cooking time. Cook books that say 20 minutes per pound are wrong - you will be a dry brick! Cooking it to 170 or 180 internal degrees also results in a dried out hulk. The turkey will keep cooking after you take it out of the oven.

I've used the 12 minute rule for the past decade and it works!

For a fruit dish, Mellon balls with mint. or slices of Honeydew warped in a thin slice of prosciutto ham. Or a mixed fruit terrine..

this one is not bad
Mixed Berry Terrine - Martha Stewart Recipes

We get mostly crappy melon here this time of year. And LOL, Maddie gives me an exotic fruit tree that is beyond my ability to produce and you give me Martha Stewart??????

But actually that doesn't look difficult and it certainly is showy. I copied and saved the recipe. :)

- Take the foil off the breast portion half way through the estimated cooking time.

The foil slows down the cooking of the breast meat so that it doesn't dry out. And please believe me on the cooking time. Cook books that say 20 minutes per pound are wrong - you will be a dry brick! Cooking it to 170 or 180 internal degrees also results in a dried out hulk. The turkey will keep cooking after you take it out of the oven.

This sounds pretty much what I do for my Turkey but what is the salt bath? I never heard of that.

For a fruit dish, Mellon balls with mint. or slices of Honeydew warped in a thin slice of prosciutto ham. Or a mixed fruit terrine..

this one is not bad
Mixed Berry Terrine - Martha Stewart Recipes

We get mostly crappy melon here this time of year. And LOL, Maddie gives me an exotic fruit tree that is beyond my ability to produce and you give me Martha Stewart??????

But actually that doesn't look difficult and it certainly is showy. I copied and saved the recipe. :)

The MS version is rather standard and berries are still good. You can make them in individual molds so each person has their own and you don't have to cut it. ;)

This sounds pretty much what I do for my Turkey but what is the salt bath? I never heard of that.

It involves soaking the turkey in salt water. I scrub out the kitchen sink, fill it with water, add salt and ice cubs, and let the turkey soak in it for 2-3 hours. It's like a mini brining. Some folks do it longer - the following link says one hour per pound, but the main point is for the bird to absorb some salt so it retains moisture.

Brining Turkey - Turkey Brine Recipes and Information

So you have a seek FF, what do you think you are going to do?

I really do like the looks of that berry salad. If I can find enough good berries this time of year may try that.

Where do you live FF? I am sure you can find blueberries, raspberries,strawberries. and kiwis. You can also use grapes and mandarin oranges.

So you have a seek FF, what do you think you are going to do?

I really do like the looks of that berry salad. If I can find enough good berries this time of year may try that.

Where do you live FF? I am sure you can find blueberries, raspberries,strawberries. and kiwis. You can also use grapes and mandarin oranges.

I'm in Albuquerque. And fresh produce is always a crap shoot around here. A lot of the best stuff goes on to the bigger markets on the east and west coasts or upper midwest and sometimes we can find good stuff here. Sometimes we can't. But the odds are in my favor.

Okay, was in a discussion with a friend just now who is looking for a dynamite side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.

I myself want some really gorgeous beautiful fruit side dish suitable for a crowd.

Who can help us out?

Currently my menu is:

Roast Turkey
Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Corn Casserole

Assorted pies

(I'm feeding a crowd)

Green Bean Casserole is so passe, and who wants Sweet Potato Casserole and then Pumkin Pie? Not me.
How's this for a change:

Stuffed Peppers: Anaheim Pepper stuffed with mushrooms (diced), chorizo (I use a vegetarian chorizo), monterey jack (grated), onion (diced), bread crumbs, and an egg. Prepare and saute in garlic olive oil all of above, add cheese when off the heat. Prepare peppers by rinsing, cutting a slit, and removing veins and seeds. Fill peppers and bake for 35 minutes at 350. Axe the Green Bean bake.

Axe the Sweet Potato Casserole and provide one large Idaho potato for each two guests. Bake the potato's and cool. Cut in half, and remove 'meat', and put in mixing bowl. Add sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese and diced green onion (crispy bacon crumbled if desired). Fill each potato half, high, and garnish with papirika, for color.
Bake with the peppers, 35 minutes at 350.

Both can be done the day before and reheated. You can have great sides and a couple of cocktails too!!

Last edited:
What? No Possum Vittles?

Okay, was in a discussion with a friend just now who is looking for a dynamite side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.

I myself want some really gorgeous beautiful fruit side dish suitable for a crowd.

Who can help us out?

Currently my menu is:

Roast Turkey
Dressing
Green Bean Casserole
Sweet Potato Casserole
Corn Casserole

Assorted pies

(I'm feeding a crowd)

Green Bean Casserole is so passe, and who wants Sweet Potato Casserole and then Pumkin Pie? Not me.
How's this for a change:

Stuffed Peppers: Anaheim Pepper stuffed with mushrooms (diced), chorizo (I use a vegetarian chorizo), monterey jack (grated), onion (diced), bread crumbs, and an egg. Prepare and saute in garlic olive oil all of above, add cheese when off the heat. Prepare peppers by rinsing, cutting a slit, and removing veins and seeds. Fill peppers and bake for 35 minutes at 350. Axe the Green Bean bake.

Axe the Sweet Potato Casserole and provide one large Idaho potato for each two guests. Bake the potato's and cool. Cut in half, and remove 'meat', and put in mixing bowl. Add sour cream, sharp cheddar cheese and diced green onion (crispy bacon crumbled if desired). Fill each potato half, high, and garnish with papirika, for color.
Bake with the peppers, 35 minutes at 350.

Both can be done the day before and reheated. You can have great sides and a couple of cocktails too!!

Sounds great but more work that I want to do. I'm looking for TERRIFIC coupled with EASY and as little fuss, muss, and bother as possible here. :) I have so many Hispanics and Italians in my family, that many of our holiday family dinners are totally non traditional and your chorizo dish would be a great hit. Pinto beans, posole, pasta, enchiladas, and chili are normal fare.

The group I have coming though are all traditionalists and would be disappointed not to have mostly traditional fare. At least three of them won't eat anything too adventurous. :)

Forum List

Back