Let me 'splain somethin'.............

Of course. I got names mixed up is all. It was Job, another poster corrected it.

Some scholars think the Book of Job may have been originally written as a play, the theme of which is to address why good things happen to bad people.

Many of the stories of the greek god covered the same theme. Gods play with us like lab rats to see what we do and how we will respond.
An all knowing and seeing god would not have to test or experiment with us. It would all be preordained.

and we are supposed to worship a thing that tortures us for it's amusement? How is that love? It is not like having a tickle fight with a spouse or children.

I don't completely rule out the theory that there could be kind of "god like" entity. I am quite skeptical, but how the hell should I know? I don't, and I'm not afraid to admit that, but I just do not believe in most of the man-made religious stuff. I disagree that a "good" god would punish us for all eternity or disown us because we are "ignorant" as to any gods existing. Some people cannot believe on faith alone. I don't think that a person who believes on faith is any "better" than a person who might be skeptical. We are still all just people. I don't believe that a god would ignore all of the good things a person might do just because a person doesn't have "faith" and condemn that person.

Are you content with knowing there are mysteries in the universe that, at least for the foreseeable future, are going to remain mysteries?

In the same way, I would describe those with strong faith, as those content with knowing there are mysteries concerning God and His ways that, at least for the foreseeable future, are going to remain mysteries.

Where I see the faithful having the most trouble is proposing as fact something that in reality is still a mystery, and is likely to remain so in our lifetime. This does not mean we cannot search and explore and propose theories. But foremost, we need to identify what is still a mystery, as a mystery.

Love the Bible, there is a lot of wisdom there. But there are only two things I know (through personal experiences) about which I can testify:

1) God loves us beyond what any words can describe, or mind can truly absorb. He loves without exception.
2) God honors free will.

I cannot testify, through personal experience, that God created the earth, that He gave Moses the Ten Commandments or sent the Angel Gabriel to Mary to announce the birth of Jesus. Now, I believe all of that, but I cannot testify to it as I have no personal experience of it.

The only thing I want atheists to hear is that God loves them and honors their free will. The fact that Christians are threatening non-believers and non-Christians nauseates me. Of all people, we should know better. But atheists, the second thing that nauseates me is your misconstructions of Biblical stories others wrote to portray the existence of God and the truth of God in our midst.

There are mysteries out there--both physical and spiritual--we don't/can't understand. Let's not desecrate them.

I don't completely rule out the theory that there could be kind of "god like" entity. I am quite skeptical, but how the hell should I know? I don't, and I'm not afraid to admit that, but I just do not believe in most of the man-made religious stuff. I disagree that a "good" god would punish us for all eternity or disown us because we are "ignorant" as to any gods existing. Some people cannot believe on faith alone. I don't think that a person who believes on faith is any "better" than a person who might be skeptical. We are still all just people. I don't believe that a god would ignore all of the good things a person might do just because a person doesn't have "faith" and condemn that person.

Are you content with knowing there are mysteries in the universe that, at least for the foreseeable future, are going to remain mysteries?

In the same way, I would describe those with strong faith, as those content with knowing there are mysteries concerning God and His ways that, at least for the foreseeable future, are going to remain mysteries.

Where I see the faithful having the most trouble is proposing as fact something that in reality is still a mystery, and is likely to remain so in our lifetime. This does not mean we cannot search and explore and propose theories. But foremost, we need to identify what is still a mystery, as a mystery.

Love the Bible, there is a lot of wisdom there. But there are only two things I know (through personal experiences) about which I can testify:

1) God loves us beyond what any words can describe, or mind can truly absorb. He loves without exception.
2) God honors free will.

I cannot testify, through personal experience, that God created the earth, that He gave Moses the Ten Commandments or sent the Angel Gabriel to Mary to announce the birth of Jesus. Now, I believe all of that, but I cannot testify to it as I have no personal experience of it.

The only thing I want atheists to hear is that God loves them and honors their free will. The fact that Christians are threatening non-believers and non-Christians nauseates me. Of all people, we should know better. But atheists, the second thing that nauseates me is your misconstructions of Biblical stories others wrote to portray the existence of God and the truth of God in our midst.

There are mysteries out there--both physical and spiritual--we don't/can't understand. Let's not desecrate them.

Well, you consider it a misconstruction, but I've never heard of some of your personal theories on religion. I am just going by my own experiences, what I've learned and read about. I haven't really intentionally misconstrued anything that I'm aware of, although I do tend to be sarcastic at times. :D I apologize.

2) God honors free will.

Also, I'm not really an atheist, but consider myself more of an agnostic. I don't really believe it, but I cannot rule out the possibility.

2) God honors free will.

Also, I'm not really an atheist, but consider myself more of an agnostic. I don't really believe it, but I cannot rule out the possibility.

I think anyone raise around faith(s) has a little wishful thinking but sadly the god of the bible is not appealing and rather sadistic. If something is out there, I doubt anything in the bible can come close to describing it. I kind of like the idea of a star wars force. I'm sure something is out there if only a superior alien being, but still a far cry from a 'god'.

Well, you consider it a misconstruction, but I've never heard of some of your personal theories on religion. I am just going by my own experiences, what I've learned and read about. I haven't really intentionally misconstrued anything that I'm aware of, although I do tend to be sarcastic at times. :D I apologize.

No need for apologies! We're just conversing, and hopefully enjoying kicking different thoughts around to see how they bounce back.

2) God honors free will.

I think anyone raise around faith(s) has a little wishful thinking but sadly the god of the bible is not appealing and rather sadistic. If something is out there, I doubt anything in the bible can come close to describing it. I kind of like the idea of a star wars force. I'm sure something is out there if only a superior alien being, but still a far cry from a 'god'.

In a galaxy far, far away . . . :D

2) God honors free will.

In a galaxy far, far away . . . :D

Make more sense than most of the thumpers of any book.

2) God honors free will.

Yes, we witness the truth of what we know. Too many Christians go beyond this and open the faith to bogus criticism.

By the way, when I make statements like, "My God is a caring and compassionate God", you don't think that is the stereotypical Christian God??

Funny you seem to have the opinion that you know what the "one / true" god would think.

What makes you the great definers of others God's??

My relationship is kinda personal, who the fuck do you think you are to comment on it??

Guess you never heard the words sanctimonious or hypocritical??

I am a representative of God - as a Christian - and speaking Truth about his is my duty (as it is with any other Christian).....

I never said I knew what God thought. Only that God is who He is.

Perfect.
Inerrant.
All Powerful
All Knowing
Ever present

Yet, people want to say things like "MY God would never allow pain in the world etc."
If you don't believe in God, that is your choice. Why then would you care to even speculate?

Your God cannot be perfect because something that is perfect could never create something that is imperfect.

So either your God is not the creator or he isn't perfect.

Oh, and according to your own Bible your God has made a couple of mistakes too so he isn't inerrant.

And yes, there are still those pesky omnipotent and omniscient paradoxes you can't resolve either.

Get back to us when you have those answers, m'key?

images

What makes you think your abstract human morals of perfect and imperfect apply to God?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

IOW, if you act "human" you are a sinner. It makes no fucking logical sense at all. None.

Human nature is sinful.
It was not originally intended to be that way, but, because we chose to defy God, here we are....

Ridiculous. Let's put this another way, the murderer, who has taken multiple lives, destroyed families and hurt many people, on his deathbed, decides he suddenly feels sorry for what he's done. He really does, so he asks God to forgive him, and God says, oh sure, all is forgotten and you are forgiven. Then, there is the person who is a "logical thinker." This person thinks mostly with the "other side" of their brain (which is a scientific FACT - some people are just more logic oriented than others and it is in their brain and they can't help it), so this person needs evidence in order to hold a belief. Since there is no evidence of any god, this person does not believe and yet might help people every day, be a very nice and good person, but this person will go to hell for eternity or be "separated" from God for eternity? Does this sound right and "just" to you?

images

images

images

There's plenty of evidence of God... Perhaps you, they, are just not looking in the right places.

*****SMILE*****

By the way, when I make statements like, "My God is a caring and compassionate God", you don't think that is the stereotypical Christian God??

Funny you seem to have the opinion that you know what the "one / true" god would think.

My relationship is kinda personal, who the fuck do you think you are to comment on it??

I am a representative of God - as a Christian - and speaking Truth about his is my duty (as it is with any other Christian).....

Perfect.
Inerrant.
All Powerful
All Knowing
Ever present

Yet, people want to say things like "MY God would never allow pain in the world etc."
If you don't believe in God, that is your choice. Why then would you care to even speculate?

Your God cannot be perfect because something that is perfect could never create something that is imperfect.

Oh, and according to your own Bible your God has made a couple of mistakes too so he isn't inerrant.

And yes, there are still those pesky omnipotent and omniscient paradoxes you can't resolve either.

images

What makes you think your abstract human morals of perfect and imperfect apply to God?

*****CHUCKLE*****

Those are the theist's own standards of what their God is supposed to be.

Not my problem if he falls short of their own standards. :D

Perfect.
Inerrant.
All Powerful
All Knowing
Ever present

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

I find that most atheists can't make up their minds on what a God should or shouldn't be allowed to do also.

*****CHUCKLE*****

Perfect.
Inerrant.
All Powerful
All Knowing
Ever present

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

I find that most atheists can't make up their minds on what a God should or shouldn't be allowed to do also.

*****CHUCKLE*****

You must be confused, it is theists who can't make up their minds about what their God is supposed to be doing.

Atheists don't waste their time on trivialities like that.

They just have fun watching theists squirming when they can't resolve their own self imposed paradoxes.

:D

Last edited:
IOW, if you act "human" you are a sinner. It makes no fucking logical sense at all. None.

Human nature is sinful.
It was not originally intended to be that way, but, because we chose to defy God, here we are....

Ridiculous. Let's put this another way, the murderer, who has taken multiple lives, destroyed families and hurt many people, on his deathbed, decides he suddenly feels sorry for what he's done. He really does, so he asks God to forgive him, and God says, oh sure, all is forgotten and you are forgiven. Then, there is the person who is a "logical thinker." This person thinks mostly with the "other side" of their brain (which is a scientific FACT - some people are just more logic oriented than others and it is in their brain and they can't help it), so this person needs evidence in order to hold a belief. Since there is no evidence of any god, this person does not believe and yet might help people every day, be a very nice and good person, but this person will go to hell for eternity or be "separated" from God for eternity? Does this sound right and "just" to you?

images

images

images

There's plenty of evidence of God... Perhaps you, they, are just not looking in the right places.

*****SMILE*****

Very pretty, but it doesn't really prove anything. :)

Perfect.
Inerrant.
All Powerful
All Knowing
Ever present

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****CHUCKLE*****

You must be confused, it is theists who can't make up their minds about what their God is supposed to be doing.

Atheists don't waste their time on trivialities like that.

They just have fun watching theists squirming when they can't resolve their own self imposed paradoxes.

images

I think both atheists and the more orthodox theists do.

*****CHUCKLE*****

In which case you won't have any problem producing this "evidence of God" for us, right?

images

I already have.

*****CHUCKLE*****

If that is what you imagine is "evidence" then I am sure it makes you happy.

/backing away slowly towards the exit.

images

*****HeeHeeHee*****

Forum List

Back