Less Common Religions

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by KittenKoder, Dec 5, 2008.

1. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Due to an interesting discussion that seems to be evolving in another thread, figured this would be nice. If you wish and have a 'less common religious belief' (in other words one that doesn't always come up in other topics) and wish to share, let's share some ideas of the universe, the world, and spirits here.

I follow a loose Ancient Egyptian belief (though all of that cultures religious beliefs are loose really). Ptah, the supreme god, created the universe in some fashion (though cute I don't like the masterbation concept myself), then being lonely he created the Ra (pronounced Ryah) to keep himself company. Ra of course didn't think Ptah was around enough so he makes others, each one taking on the form of some other substance such as the sky, land, or some animal and each adding life to each part of the world. Thus the world was full, but still the gods, even Ptah, was not satisfied, they were bored watching the animals scurry about. So Ra comes up with a really fun idea, let's give some of the animals intelligence and a spark of creation in them and see what happens. Now humanity exists.

Most of th rest of my beliefs will come with specific questions, but please, share more than ask if you can.

2. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Im like a kid at a candy store with all the religion thread:razz: It's delicious to read everyones beliefs.

3. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I like the pyramids is there a religious significance to them?

4. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, chloe. The kid in a candy store thing. I love discussing religion. I spent a lot of time in a Theosophical Library for a number of years before finding Buddhism suited me.

It's interesting to me that Buddhism doesn't have creation mythology.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2008
  5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Discussing it and seeing the views can be enjoyed by all, as long as people are able to understand that no one belief is better than another. My best friend follows wiccan beliefs, she and I are constantly comparing notes but since she can't get online at her job I am hoping to find some of that discussion here. So, what other creation stories are there for a start?

6. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
  7. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    One of my dearest friends was a student of Krishnamurti. In fact, after I had 'come out' as a lesbian, I fell in love with this man--(good thing he was married and that kept me from getting involved with him).

Krishnamurti was an enlightened master. He was well known in Theosophical Circles. He rejected being a 'guru'.

8. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The unknown is not measurable by the known. Time cannot measure the timeless, the eternal, that immensity which has no beginning and no end. But our minds are bound to the yardstick of yesterday, today and tomorrow, and with that yardstick we try to inquire into the unknown, to measure that which is not measurable. And when we try to measure something which is not measurable, we only get caught in words.
    — Krishnamurti, New Delhi 1970

9. chloe

chloe Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Is he Hindu?

10. sky dancer

sky dancer Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No. Krishnamurti was not a practicing Hindu. He was born into a Hindu family. He was named after Krishna.

IMO. He was a real saint.