Legalized Weed Linked to Spike in Car Crashes

some marijuana revenue should be used for better and possibly free, public transportation.

What makes you think that there will be a significant amount of net marijuana revenue?

Most of it will be needed for tax enforcement
why would it be any worse than tobacco, once it becomes as convenient?
I never heard of anyone driving under the influence of tobacco.

Conservatives are loath to let go of the most successful scare tactic in American history, the dope smoking hippie, in spite of the fact that they smoke pot too.

Hey, I only smoked grass one time . Only once. I didn't know what I was doing, I was on cocaine.
I think you are trying to make a joke, not very funny though.
1. Unfortunately, too many people are irresponsible idiots. I don't mind people smoking, but if you drive while high, you will be impaired.
2. I don't think that pot impairs driving as badly as alcohol, but that doesn't really matter, as both certainly DO impair driving ability to some extent.
3. It's funny that different posters seem to think that pot is stronger now, or that it was stronger in the past
4. One thing to keep in mind is that there may also be an increase in tourists to the states with legalized weed, which could have something to do with the increase in crashes, too.
5. Someone said something about people being unlikely to drink. Really? That argument is pretty out there. People have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years and show no sign of stopping.

If you get high, don't drive. You might not be as impaired as a drunk driver, but you are still impaired.
Going to tell some secrets here. The level of impairment on pot is dependent on experience. I build custom furniture on the side. I love to get a good buzz and run lumber through the saw. Been doing it for thirty years and I still have all my fingers. The same thing goes for driving while high, some people can do it just fine.

Some people have been drinking and driving for years and have been "fine." It doesn't change the fact that the drivers are impaired. :dunno:

some marijuana revenue should be used for better and possibly free, public transportation.

What makes you think that there will be a significant amount of net marijuana revenue?

it does have some effect on reaction/response. however, the biggest "problem" is the addictive tendency.

Conservatives are loath to let go of the most successful scare tactic in American history, the dope smoking hippie, in spite of the fact that they smoke pot too.

Hey, I only smoked grass one time . Only once. I didn't know what I was doing, I was on cocaine.
1. Unfortunately, too many people are irresponsible idiots. I don't mind people smoking, but if you drive while high, you will be impaired.
2. I don't think that pot impairs driving as badly as alcohol, but that doesn't really matter, as both certainly DO impair driving ability to some extent.
3. It's funny that different posters seem to think that pot is stronger now, or that it was stronger in the past
4. One thing to keep in mind is that there may also be an increase in tourists to the states with legalized weed, which could have something to do with the increase in crashes, too.
5. Someone said something about people being unlikely to drink. Really? That argument is pretty out there. People have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years and show no sign of stopping.

If you get high, don't drive. You might not be as impaired as a drunk driver, but you are still impaired.
Going to tell some secrets here. The level of impairment on pot is dependent on experience. I build custom furniture on the side. I love to get a good buzz and run lumber through the saw. Been doing it for thirty years and I still have all my fingers. The same thing goes for driving while high, some people can do it just fine.

Some people have been drinking and driving for years and have been "fine." It doesn't change the fact that the drivers are impaired. :dunno:
recreational drug taxes could help pay for public transportation.

Cigarettes are a major law enforcement problem you know.

But grass will be worse, as growing your own and rolling your own are things that are already known about. There is already a massive infrastructure in existence for the marijuana black market, chains of supply, trained processors, pushers,
seems like more of an inter-State problem than an intra-State problem.

personally, i have no problem selling to a pot shop than to direct consumers.

It isn't going to be "pot shops" for the most part that will be peddling legal grass- instead it will be Walmart and Amazon mostly. I am sure that Family Dollar will be dealing as well as CVS and Rite Aid, Kroger and Giant Eagle, Sheetz and 711 will offer it. Maybe we'll have pot vending machines?

How much money in Dope Taxes do you think there will be?

There is no question that MJ, alcohol and the Rx given to millions of us can impact the ability to operate a motor vehicle. All of which are true, and why the penalties have continued to increase for driving under the influence / driving while impaired.

The problem with MJ is a chronic smoker will test positive for MJ consumption up to 30 days after they had last ingested MJ; the impairment will last for a much shorter time, and is dependent on the type of consumption - smoked or eaten - and the amount of THC ingested.

Thus one can be tested positive for MJ use, but not be under the influence / impaired. LE will begin to require all patrol to be trained in field sobriety tests, and then testify that the defendant not only tested + for MJ, but that the field sobriety test was such that the driver was impaired.

Cigarettes are a major law enforcement problem you know.

But grass will be worse, as growing your own and rolling your own are things that are already known about. There is already a massive infrastructure in existence for the marijuana black market, chains of supply, trained processors, pushers,
seems like more of an inter-State problem than an intra-State problem.

personally, i have no problem selling to a pot shop than to direct consumers.

It isn't going to be "pot shops" for the most part that will be peddling legal grass- instead it will be Walmart and Amazon mostly. I am sure that Family Dollar will be dealing as well as CVS and Rite Aid, Kroger and Giant Eagle, Sheetz and 711 will offer it. Maybe we'll have pot vending machines?
with a variety of products? some of it would be CBD related and not thc related.

CDTFA: Cannabis Tax Revenues Total $60.9 Million in First Quarter | Cannabis

surely some of that could be spared for public transportation.

Good post and true BUT, the stats is what drives policy "to promote or care for the well being" and all that sort of thing found in the Constitution. If something starts driving stats into the negative zone, then calmer heads come together to combat the problem.

The only thing these days is that the Demon-crats/leftist/liberals love to USE the stats as a way to say see I told ya so, now give us the power even though they don't do anything about the stats except screw them up worse by driving them up worse. They only want the power by excuse of, and not by solution of.

Maybe chewing tobacca if swallow to much while chewing.. ROTFLMBO.

To most people, weed isn't an impairment, it's an enhancement!
By "most people" you mean weed smokers...right? The thread shows an up tick in pot related crashes which endangers everyone. That's not good. Does weed allow you to suspend
your sense of responsibility, assuming you have one?
Cops are just noticing that people are high. There hasn't been a surge of new pot smokers since legalization.

Now if all those unicorns would get out of the left lane...

CDTFA: Cannabis Tax Revenues Total $60.9 Million in First Quarter | Cannabis

surely some of that could be spared for public transportation.
Selling the soul.

To most people, weed isn't an impairment, it's an enhancement!
By "most people" you mean weed smokers...right? The thread shows an up tick in pot related crashes which endangers everyone. That's not good. Does weed allow you to suspend
your sense of responsibility, assuming you have one?

Cops are just noticing that people are high. There hasn't been a surge of new pot smokers since legalization.

Now if all those unicorns would get out of the left lane...

Your last sentence struck my funny bone.

People have been smoking weed and driving forever.
And crashing their cars.
More straight people crash their cars than any category.

Please try again.
Could be true in the new generational theory of "everyone gets a participation trophy" uh I mean a driver's license these days.
Not a time goes by that when I use the highway, I have to pass more than one car on the inside because they refuse to move over. Maybe they should smoke a joint, it might wake them up.

Forum List

Back