Led Zeppelin "Stole"...

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
Listen to the original, then listen to Led Zeppelin's version and you try to convince me that Led Zep "stole" anything

Original

Led Zeppelin

Obviously you're already convinced. Those are three good examples, although you didn't mention Robert Johnson's "Traveling Riverside Blues" in the first one.

There's a lot more evidence against Jimmy Plagiarist and Robber Plant.

Like these:

Course, we did all this before, as have others. There's threads here in the Wayback machine.

Bob Dylan wrote lyrics for Jimi Hendrix, so what?

So, when Hendrix put out "Watchtower" --- a brilliant version --- Dylan's name was listed right below the title in proper credit.

That was not the case with any of the LZ plagiarisms, which claimed songwriting credits (and royalties) for themselves.

I was working in a radio station in the '90s that had a blues library. Somewhere in there was an album set of a live blues concert from 1964, the real artists, before they got bandwagonned by white pop music. Within that set, it occurred to me, could be found most of the first LZ album material. Lyric for lyric and note for note. 1964.

The Blues is defined by a very simple chord progression. It's easily recognizable and pretty much every Blues tune follows that same pattern. If we're going to talk about people "stealing" Blues songs, then Robert Johnson stole from Son House.

Led Zeppelin made all of those songs sound great!

Actually they made their legal bills sound Yuuuuge. You just can't grab work somebody else did and go "uh yeah we wrote that, that's the ticket!" Sleazeballs.

The Blues is defined by a very simple chord progression. It's easily recognizable and pretty much every Blues tune follows that same pattern. If we're going to talk about people "stealing" Blues songs, then Robert Johnson stole from Son House.

True that you can't "steal" (or copyright) the I-IV-V progression, of course. But these go far far deeper. Check the lyrics for the two "Dazed and Confused". Check the arrangements for "Black Waterside" and check both for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (none of these being I-IV-V blues). There is folklore, and there is the pinpoint specific. And there are many examples, many more. This was an egregious pattern.

True that you can't "steal" (or copyright) the I-IV-V progression, of course. But these go far far deeper. Check the lyrics for the two "Dazed and Confused". Check the arrangements for "Black Waterside" and check both for "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" (none of these being I-IV-V blues). There is folklore, and there is the pinpoint specific. And there are many examples, many more. This was an egregious pattern.

To the other extreme, using this pattern to bolster their argument, I think the estate of Randy California tried to bring a plagiarism suit on "Stairway to Heaven", claiming it was ripped off from Spirit's instrumental "Taurus". Ironically "Stairway" seems to have been one of the few tunes Page and Plant genuinely did originate; the two songs have a similar descending arpeggio intro but that's as far as it goes -- they wander off in different directions after that.

And yet, when an upstart group called "Little Roger and the Goosebumps" put this record out, even with credit given ---- LZ sued the pants off 'em and got the records taken off the market. Which reeks of a certain hypocrisy.

Actually they made their legal bills sound Yuuuuge. You just can't grab work somebody else did and go "uh yeah we wrote that, that's the ticket!" Sleazeballs.

If Led Zeppelin hadn't done those songs, a lot of people would have never even heard of them. While I notice some subtle similarities, LZ made them their own.

If Led Zeppelin hadn't done those songs, a lot of people would have never even heard of them. While I notice some subtle similarities, LZ made them their own.

I'm afraid that's nowhere near a legal argument on an intellectual property case.

The fact remains --- as it should --- you just can't grab somebody else's labor and claim you did it. That's illegal, as it should be. Go ahead and LICENSE their song, with proper credits, put YOUR arrangement on it, whatever you want. But don't go around telling the world you created something that somebody else created.

Another poster mentioned Hendrix doing "All Along the Watchtower". Check that record and you'll see Bob Dylan's name under it, credited properly. Hendrix never tried to claim "I wrote that".

I'm afraid that's nowhere near a legal argument on an intellectual property case.

The fact remains --- as it should --- you just can't grab somebody else's labor and claim you did it. That's illegal, as it should be. Go ahead and LICENSE their song, with proper credits, put YOUR arrangement on it, whatever you want. But don't go around telling the world you created something that somebody else created.

Well, you make a good point, but I still like Led Zeppelin the band. I like their sound and I like their music.

Well, you make a good point, but I still like Led Zeppelin the band. I like their sound and I like their music.

All I'll say about that is....

-- I used to play violin in a jug band. When my playing got sloppy the guys would get on my case with comments like "hey, you're sounding like Jimmy Page" :lol: They knew what I think of Jimmy Page's musical diction.

Actually we used to do that song I posted above, the Gilligan's Island lyrics attached to "Stairway". I would do the Jimmy Page solos. Authentically. ;)

All I'll say about that is....

-- I used to play violin in a jug band. When my playing got sloppy the guys would get on my case with comments like "hey, you're sounding like Jimmy Page" :lol: They knew what I think of Jimmy Page's musical diction.

Actually we used to do that song I posted above, the Gilligan's Island lyrics attached to "Stairway". I would do the Jimmy Page solos. Authentically. ;)

Actually Jimmy Page used to play in a jug band (well, skiffle) too. He's on the left here.... "Mama Don't Allow" was our jugband's (and many others') closing tune...

Forum List

Back