Learning to do maintenance work on my car

Last time I caught a contempt of mod charge and had a few days off here, I got under there and cleaned up a little. Not great, but just okay...

80-46_245a1c43c579cb0c190788b9ca05dab3e95bae46.jpg

That car's over thirty years old.

I just replaced the front bearing hubs, rotors, brakes and one CV axle that had a torn boot. Had to be careful to get correct axle for the two gear transfer case.
Technically easy, but had to fight the rust to get those wheel hubs off.
I have had a lot of success with YouTube videos from car repairs to working on my snowmobiles.
It depends on what code it throws and I will research whether a repair is within my abilities and tools.
Some stuff you have to bring it in.

Hey, how do you like your new bike? Have you been out on it a lot?
Not as much as I would like but soon I'll get out on it more. I've removed the sissy bar, rear rack and replaced the rear seat with a mustang bib. I've ordered new Viking saddlebags and a Pacific Coast Star lowering kit. Hope to take it out in a few days for a 2-3 hour trip, east on I 40 to Rte 14 north through Madrid (pronounced Mad-rid), up to Santa Fe then back down I 25 home.
Madrid was an old coal mining town on the Turquoise Trail that is now an artists enclave and motorcyclist's destination.

c01_jd_29mar_madrid2-630x354.jpg

I just replaced the front bearing hubs, rotors, brakes and one CV axle that had a torn boot. Had to be careful to get correct axle for the two gear transfer case.
Technically easy, but had to fight the rust to get those wheel hubs off.
I have had a lot of success with YouTube videos from car repairs to working on my snowmobiles.
It depends on what code it throws and I will research whether a repair is within my abilities and tools.
Some stuff you have to bring it in.

That's a good bit of work.

Not as much as I would like but soon I'll get out on it more. I've removed the sissy bar, rear rack and replaced the rear seat with a mustang bib. I've ordered new Viking saddlebags and a Pacific Coast Star lowering kit. Hope to take it out in a few days for a 2-3 hour trip, east on I 40 to Rte 14 north through Madrid (pronounced Mad-rid), up to Santa Fe then back down I 25 home.
Madrid was an old coal mining town on the Turquoise Trail that is now an artists enclave and motorcyclist's destination.

c01_jd_29mar_madrid2-630x354.jpg

Sounds enjoyable. The midwest sure is pretty in a lot of places. Maybe you can hitch up with a group or something at some point.

That's a good bit of work.
Couldn't imagine what the dealership would've burned me for that.
Of course when the engine failed two years ago, it went in.
Threw a code that looking online quickly led to similar horror stories after checking the basics.
Dealer confirmed what I already knew. Stuck lifters in one cylinder grinding the cam shaft.
Couldn't believe that they actually honored the lifetime drive train at 150,000 miles. Put in another engine at the tune of 11K without a cent out of my pocket for it.

Couldn't imagine what the dealership would've burned me for that.
Of course when the engine failed two years ago, it went in.
Threw a code that looking online quickly led to similar horror stories after checking the basics.
Dealer confirmed what I already knew. Stuck lifters in one cylinder grinding the cam shaft.
Couldn't believe that they actually honored the lifetime drive train at 150,000 miles. Put in another engine at the tune of 11K without a cent out of my pocket for it.

Yeah, they don't call em the stealership for nothing. Heh heh.

Sometimes you luck out, though.

Forum List

Back