Learned a lot from a Fashion Travelogue about Palestinians.

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2011
Hillbilly Hollywood, Tenn
Watched a fascinating show on a network I didn't know existed last night. It was about Palestinian fashion designers in Israel and Gaza. I learned any number of really enlightening things from this VICE network show,.

Palestine - STATES OF UNDRESS - VICELAND

1) Ramallah is a JEWEL of a city by Mid East standards. Very livable and vibrant,.

2) There are only FOUR female fashion models in all of the Pali territorities. Families often forcibly remove the models from shows before they get their first chance to model.

3) Young Pali women can buy lingerie and crotchless panties in Ramallah, but in Hebron none of that nonsense is tolerated. (No wonder they can't agree on "representation". )

4) While fashion design biz prospers in the West Bank -- in Gaza the rare female surfer is FORCED to paddle out and surf in full garb --- head to toe. Not as much of a fun beach.. Her "surfboard" was styrofoam anyways..

5) Israeli presence in Ramallah is sparse and life goes on. While in Hebron, because of only about 500 Jewish residents -- the IDF has militarized vital parts of that 95% muslim city. Making whole neighborhoods into deserted buffer zones. Doesn't REALLY seem to be a "good investment" to me.

6) TeenAge "parties" in the West Bank often involve singing great traditional tunes about "not having cowards for leaders".. What a blast..

7) The only "all female:" Mid-East racing team is composed of WB young women. Mostly "drifting and short track events".

What's clear was difference in the quality of life in 2 of the largest WB Pali cities compared to PRESENT life in squalor and suppression in Gaza. Fully attributable to the "Hamas resistance".. I'm seriously doubting that any WB Pali is hoping for a Hamas presence in their towns anytime soon. At least from the YOUTH perspective that was given in this documentary. .

Last edited:
Watched a fascinating show on a network I didn't know existed last night. It was about Palestinian fashion designers in Israel and Gaza. I learned any number of really enlightening things from this VICE network show,.

1) Ramallah is a JEWEL of a city by Mid East standards. Very livable and vibrant,.

2) There are only FOUR female fashion models in all of the Pali territorities. Families often forcibly remove the models from shows before they get their first chance to model.

3) Young Pali women can buy lingerie and crotchless panties in Ramallah, but in Hebron none of that nonsense is tolerated. (No wonder they can't agree on "representation". )

4) While fashion design biz prospers in the West Bank -- in Gaza the rare female surfer is FORCED to paddle out and surf in full garb --- head to toe. Not as much of a fun beach.. Her "surfboard" was styrofoam anyways..

5) Israeli presence in Ramallah is sparse and life goes on. While in Hebron, because of only about 500 Jewish residents -- the IDF has militarized vital parts of that 95% muslim city. Making whole neighborhoods into deserted buffer zones. Doesn't REALLY seem to be a "good investment" to me.

6) TeenAge "parties" in the West Bank often involve singing great traditional tunes about "not having cowards for leaders".. What a blast..

7) The only "all female:" Mid-East racing team is composed of WB young women. Mostly "drifting and short track events".

What's clear was difference in the quality of life in 2 of the largest WB Pali cities compared to PRESENT life in squalor and suppression in Gaza. Fully attributable to the "Hamas resistance".. I'm seriously doubting that any WB Pali is hoping for a Hamas presence in their towns anytime soon. At least from the YOUTH perspective that was given in this documentary. .

There's a two tier system of Palestinian society in Ramallah. The wealthy ones with lovely villas, swimming pools and Fillipino maids. Mercedes cars. Then the poorer bretheren down the hill. There are even different number plates for the cars between the have's and have not's. Which facilitate travel or lack of it into Israel proper.

Hebron might not be a good investment for the Israelis, but it is the oldest Jewish city.

Hebron might not be a good investment for the Israelis, but it is the oldest Jewish city.

Medina was also one. And a couple of towns I visited in Morocco last year.

Medina was also one. And a couple of towns I visited in Morocco last year.

That's true but Abraham's Tomb is in Hebron. You can't get any older than that. Even older than Jerusalem.

Can't get Viceland over here, but I've seen a few clips in You Tube so I'll take your word for it as regards content. The bits I saw reminded me of another "youth/fashion" programme where a young trendy bimbette was sent to Libya in the aftermath of the Gaddafi takedown to see what life was like for the ordinary people. The programme followed in a similar vein to the clips I saw of your programme and gave the general impression all was "sweetness and light" thanks to NATO and Western intervention; a very reassuring snapshot.

Can't get Viceland over here, but I've seen a few clips in You Tube so I'll take your word for it as regards content. The bits I saw reminded me of another "youth/fashion" programme where a young trendy bimbette was sent to Libya in the aftermath of the Gaddafi takedown to see what life was like for the ordinary people. The programme followed in a similar vein to the clips I saw of your programme and gave the general impression all was "sweetness and light" thanks to NATO and Western intervention; a very reassuring snapshot.

This was a bit to the other end of exaggeration. Instead of "sweetness and light" -- it was fear and despair. A lot of which I believe is real. But calling a Pali girl playing in the surf -- Gaza's only surfer girl is just overblown. That girl made the token political statement about wishing she could "surf" out farther than the 3 mile limit... Which almost killed me choking on freeze-dried bananas. Someone needs to tell her that the surf is "NOT UP" 4 miles out from the beach. That her styrofoam "boogeyboard" is not a surfboard, and that there is NO surf at Gaza beach. Nevermind 4 miles out.. But I couldn't crush her dreams..

Last edited:
...and that there is NO surf at Gaza beach.

Well it's not Bondai or Hawaii...

gazasurf2.jpg

...but it's still "surf"

...and that there is NO surf at Gaza beach.

Well it's not Bondai or Hawaii...

gazasurf2.jpg

...but it's still "surf"

If it's NOT photoshopped --- then thats a 35mph wind coming OFF-Shore. I GUESS that happens occasionally.. And what's the deal with the wetsuits? The shore THAT COLD in Gaza?? Or are they just not acclimated to 70 deg water.

Drifting is a popular sport in Saudi Arabia. However it is the deadliest sport in the world. I have a couple videos about drifting and I couldn't begin to imagine all the deaths and injuries. I'll post them when I find them.

After watching snippets of life from Pali land. I kind of wonder whether a better solution might be "city-states". Not just ONE "palestine" -- but a collection of Enclaves with some kind of ingenious connectivity.

Because the disparities in just these 3 little glimpses in Pali life explains why it's so difficult to trust and elect a "national" government.

The enclaves could be independently governed and administered and roll in a whole bunch of "rural" and "reserved" land that goes with each of them..

Is that workable??? Could actually be a good life when you start from West Bank urban standards compared to a lot of the neighboring Arab countries..

So they run track in a burka or hijab?I bet the high hurdles are murder on them...

After watching snippets of life from Pali land. I kind of wonder whether a better solution might be "city-states". Not just ONE "palestine" -- but a collection of Enclaves with some kind of ingenious connectivity.

Because the disparities in just these 3 little glimpses in Pali life explains why it's so difficult to trust and elect a "national" government.

The enclaves could be independently governed and administered and roll in a whole bunch of "rural" and "reserved" land that goes with each of them..

Is that workable??? Could actually be a good life when you start from West Bank urban standards compared to a lot of the neighboring Arab countries..
All ME nations are tribal and have many tribes vying for power, along with the split in the Islam over Sunni and Shia...

I don't think the hijab and burqa are conducive to high fashion. Maybe that's why Paris outlawed those accessories.

Is that workable??? Could actually be a good life when you start from West Bank urban standards compared to a lot of the neighboring Arab countries.....
Wasn't that already tried after Arafat was installed in Ramallah? An attempt by Palestinians to run their own affairs. First to fail was urban government. They cancelled the waste disposal/rubbish/garbage service. For some strange reason.

Well fanaticism is rife in izzlahm and they try to keep their women covered in yards of cloth.

There is still a prostitution industry in the moosleem countries (I know this first hand) and they make a lot of money, but these babes are divorced in most cases. You may have to go all the way to Morocco for a good whore though. There is a lot of French and Spanish in-breeding in Morocco. However the babes even there are excessively hairy and have a lot of hair on their azzes too -- trust me I have seen it all.

:D

Is that workable??? Could actually be a good life when you start from West Bank urban standards compared to a lot of the neighboring Arab countries.....
Wasn't that already tried after Arafat was installed in Ramallah? An attempt by Palestinians to run their own affairs. First to fail was urban government. They cancelled the waste disposal/rubbish/garbage service. For some strange reason.
Hope I did not offend you Mindful .

I don't think the hijab and burqa are conducive to high fashion. Maybe that's why Paris outlawed those accessories.
The French outlawed it because you cannot see the babe's face and because under all that cloth you can conceal a suicide vest.

I am guessing that the female suicide bombers are promised 72 gigolos in Valhalla for blowing themselves up.

All ME nations are tribal and have many tribes vying for power, along with the split in the Islam over Sunni and Shia...
Sunni and Shia are the two biggest rifts.

Shia is Persian and Sunni is everybody else.

Persian babes are incredibly beautiful.

And the most beautiful Sunni babes are in Morocco. Trust me I know. They are hybrid bred with the French and Spanish there.

Funny though.

Then they would not only be killing Jews they would also be killing each other as well.

That would not be safe for the little moosleem kids.

I hate to see little kids killed before they are grown up and brainwashed and worth killing anyway.

Forum List

Back