Leaked Cable: McCain Promised Qaddafi To Help Secure Military Equipment From U.S.

Well you did it for him. Good job!

It also seemed like some were excusing McCain for his actions because Obama did it too. Did that tactic work with their parents, I wonder?

Neither Obama or McCain did anything wrong. Khaddaffi was OUR ALLY. We routinely sell arms to our ALLIES. In 2009 Khaddaffi was an ally to the US. He was helping with the war on terror, he had stopped all his terrorist support and informed us of all his attempts to make biological, chemical and nuclear weapons.

The meeting happened in 2009. Nothing to apologize for, this is a none issue.

BUT if you ARE going to claim there is something wrong, some reason to apologize, then Obama must also.

It was only a few years ago that the warmonger Right was trying to claim credit for the Iraq war causing Khadaffi to become our pal.

I think McCain is more than ready for a permanent stint at the old people's home.

You people still haven't figured this out in this thread.

Holy toledo!!! Check the date. Obama was Commander in Chief. McCain and crew couldn't be over there just willy nilly offering weapons.

:lol:

So, let's put on our thinking caps. Who would have authorized this trip in 2009?

Come on. You can do it.

i pointed that little tidbit out early on. The mouth breathers promptly ignore it. They don't much like facts getting in the ay of their hate. Makes them all cranky and stuff.

It's been amazing to witness this. Libs in such a frantic rabid state to pin something on McCain they didn't notice the freaking date.

I'm still cracking up. I saw this on so many boards today.

This talking point blew up in their face so big today it was stunning. And I love it.

:eusa_angel:

Why is this a surprise. The entire world decided years ago to let bygones be bygones and make nice with Qadaffi as long as he kept the oil flowing.

Even the Community Organizer shook hands with him, although he resisted the overwealming temptation to bow, so I guess that's something.

gaddafi-obama-masonic-handshake.jpg

"must stand up straight...must stand up straight..."

So I guess that Obama can take credit for the hard work of the rest of NATO and the rebels, and hopefully this all won't turn to shit before the election when we figure out that we've put people more dangerous than Qadaffi in charge, or maybe his homies in the MSM won't report the slaughter.

Obama's biggest problem is that his own followers are starting to turn on him, though.

This is how I understand the left's position on Libya and Ghaddafi -and the use of our military for that matter. The US had zero interest in Libya -as in ZERO. We get less than 2% of our oil imports from this country and none if it directly - so we can't even pretend its about oil. If that source dried up overnight all other sources would gladly step in to fill that tiny void. So sticking our noses in Libya trying to overthrow that dictator is just fine and dandy with the left. As usual. As long as the US cannot possibly claim its expenditure is for the purpose of national defense or to protect US interests, then its fine and dandy to use our money, time and personnel to overthrow a government.

Its only when the US really does have a national interest or it really is for reasons of self defense that the left objects to the use of our military. I get it.

Where does this myth come that anyone was complaining that we weren't doing enough to get rid of Qadaffi? Was there anyone? Seriously?

NO myth! McCain was still talking about it after the fact.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgipTV81o4]McCain: Libya should've ended sooner - YouTube[/ame]

Where does this myth come that anyone was complaining that we weren't doing enough to get rid of Qadaffi? Was there anyone? Seriously?

NO myth! McCain was still talking about it after the fact.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usgipTV81o4]McCain: Libya should've ended sooner - YouTube[/ame]

Did you bother to watch the video?

McCain is a military man. Towards the end of the clip, he plainly states that had 'the full weight of US air power' been used, the issue would have been settled more quickly. He then immediately stated that it was done, and lets move on.

If you want to characterize that as complaining, instead of answering a direct question, be my guest.

McCain is a military man. Towards the end of the clip, he plainly states that had 'the full weight of US air power' been used, the issue would have been settled more quickly. He then immediately stated that it was done, and lets move on.

If you want to characterize that as complaining, instead of answering a direct question, be my guest.

I did and it sure sounded to me like he was complaining. I guess you could call it "sour grapes". Either way I was embarrassed for the man the way he's pandering to right wing these days. Where's the maverick we used to know and love?!?! :eek:

I did and it sure sounded to me like he was complaining. I guess you could call it "sour grapes". Either way I was embarrassed for the man the way he's pandering to right wing these days. Where's the maverick we used to know and love?!?! :eek:

everyone is entitled to an opinion. even you.

assuming the cable is valid...do you have proof mccain did this without obama's approval? i find it hard to believe all these people just unilaterally went there without the president's approval.

It happened in '09. Libya was not considered to be a threat at that time. As a matter of fact it was around the time that Obama put pressure on Scotland to release the Lockerbie bomber on "humanitarian grounds".
Obama did no such thing. It's already come out that it was pressure from BP Oil, on the British government.

You find it very easy to lie about the President, don't you?

So? Neither was right.
as i suspected, thread fail. obama was on the same page as mccain et al just one month prior to attacking libya.

Read more: Did Qaddafi Deserve U.S. Funding? Foreign Aid Under Scrutiny Amid Mideast Unrest | FoxNews.com

so? the thread calls out ONLY mccain et al, fails to mention obama at all, you know, the president

Gaddafi.jpg

The Libya leader Muammar Gaddafi who is also the current President of the African Union met Thursday night with United States President Barack Obama.

Both leaders shook hands and exchanged words of greetings.
This is the first time that the Leader Muammar Gaddafi to meet a US president for the last 39 years. [...]

Later, both sat at the same dining table for dinner hosted by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi whose country is hosting the annual Group of Eight (G8).

Read more: Maddow Scolds McCain for Meeting Gaddafi in 2009, Ignores Obama Meeting Him Month Prior | NewsBusters.org
This is not the point. It's not about whether he was an ally, or if we were going to sell him weapons, or any of that other bullshit.

This is about McCain's actions versus his recent words.

It was only a few years ago that the warmonger Right was trying to claim credit for the Iraq war causing Khadaffi to become our pal.

I think McCain is more than ready for a permanent stint at the old people's home.

You people still haven't figured this out in this thread.

Holy toledo!!! Check the date. Obama was Commander in Chief. McCain and crew couldn't be over there just willy nilly offering weapons.

So, let's put on our thinking caps. Who would have authorized this trip in 2009?

Come on. You can do it.

Why the fuck not? Of course he could. And Senators do not need presidential permission to go overseas and talk to world leaders.

the maverick never existed.
Not at least since he has been in politics.

assuming the cable is valid...do you have proof mccain did this without obama's approval? i find it hard to believe all these people just unilaterally went there without the president's approval.

It happened in '09. Libya was not considered to be a threat at that time. As a matter of fact it was around the time that Obama put pressure on Scotland to release the Lockerbie bomber on "humanitarian grounds".
Obama did no such thing. It's already come out that it was pressure from BP Oil, on the British government.

You find it very easy to lie about the President, don't you?

As much as I dislike what Obama is doing to this country, I prefer honesty in my criticism of him. He did not push for the bombers release on any grounds.
Obama, British PM: Bomber release not BP's doing - World news - Europe - msnbc.com
Both Cameron and President Barack Obama, who met with him at the White House, condemned the release of the Libyan bomber.

Who's arguing that? The question is why was he saying it after the fact? That's the "sour grapes" part.

Who's arguing that? The question is why was he saying it after the fact? That's the "sour grapes" part.

He was supposed to say we 'should have done X' before the fact?

Well you did it for him. Good job!

It also seemed like some were excusing McCain for his actions because Obama did it too. Did that tactic work with their parents, I wonder?

i didn't excuse anything. does that tactic work for you often?

So? Neither was right.

so? the thread calls out ONLY mccain et al, fails to mention obama at all, you know, the president

Gaddafi.jpg

The Libya leader Muammar Gaddafi who is also the current President of the African Union met Thursday night with United States President Barack Obama.

This is the first time that the Leader Muammar Gaddafi to meet a US president for the last 39 years. [...]

Later, both sat at the same dining table for dinner hosted by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi whose country is hosting the annual Group of Eight (G8).

Read more: Maddow Scolds McCain for Meeting Gaddafi in 2009, Ignores Obama Meeting Him Month Prior | NewsBusters.org
This is not the point. It's not about whether he was an ally, or if we were going to sell him weapons, or any of that other bullshit.

lmao....and what about obama's actions and his recent words? you completely ignore that obama just met with gaddafi RECENTLY. did obama condemn mccain for going over there? you're deluded if you think all those senators didn't have authority or at a minimum, tacit approval from obama.

you're partisan blinders are strong.

Last edited:

Gaddafi.jpg

lmao....and what about obama's actions and his recent words? you completely ignore that obama just met with gaddafi RECENTLY. did obama condemn mccain for going over there? you're deluded if you think all those senators didn't have authority or at a minimum, tacit approval from obama.

Aren't those photos from the U.N. meeting in NY? That's not "Obama meeting with Gaddafi". That's "Obama passing Gaddafi in the room, and greeting him, as any host President would".

Big difference. Maybe you can show when Obama traveled to Tripoli to visit with Gaddafi?

But the question is: Why would McCain go to Tripoli and promise weapons to someone who "has American blood on his hands"?:

McCain struck a distinctly different tone this week, telling Fox’s Greta van Susteren that “he [Muammar Qadhafi] has the blood of Americans on his hands as a result of Pan Am 103. He is a person who over time would — if he were able to succeed — would clearly train terrorists and export terrorism.”

So? Neither was right.

Gaddafi.jpg

And McCain was acting under the orders of the President (Obama) at that time.

Aren't those photos from the U.N. meeting in NY? That's not "Obama meeting with Gaddafi". That's "Obama passing Gaddafi in the room, and greeting him, as any host President would".

Big difference. Maybe you can show when Obama traveled to Tripoli to visit with Gaddafi?

But the question is: Why would McCain go to Tripoli and promise weapons to someone who "has American blood on his hands"?:

McCain struck a distinctly different tone this week, telling Fox’s Greta van Susteren that “he [Muammar Qadhafi] has the blood of Americans on his hands as a result of Pan Am 103. He is a person who over time would — if he were able to succeed — would clearly train terrorists and export terrorism.”

you honestly thnk McCain could have gone and made any kind of promises without the permission of the President? BTW, that would be Obama.

Forum List

Back