Leaked Cable: McCain Promised Qaddafi To Help Secure Military Equipment From U.S.

IN the 80s Ghadaffi was the POSTER BOY for terrorism.

Then he was rehabilitated when we invaded IRaq and made Saddam the terrorist poster boy.

But as Momar decided to challenge the USD petrodollar?

He has again became the devil incarnate.

America does not have permanent allies, it has temporary interests.

EVERY Country reevaluates its alliances. I have no problem with us turning on Kaddaffi, I DO have a problem with selective memory in those regards. McCain and Company were dealing with a leader of what was THEN an ally of ours. To now claim some sort of problem because he is no longer our ally is ridiculous.

Where does this myth come that anyone was complaining that we weren't doing enough to get rid of Qadaffi? Was there anyone? Seriously?

assuming the cable is valid...do you have proof mccain did this without obama's approval? i find it hard to believe all these people just unilaterally went there without the president's approval.

It happened in '09. Libya was not considered to be a threat at that time. As a matter of fact it was around the time that Obama put pressure on Scotland to release the Lockerbie bomber on "humanitarian grounds".

Abd Bush had already made a favorable status change for Libya. Further proof that Obama is a 3rd Bush term.

Selective outrage based on wikie/crap? What about B. Hussein Obama's letter to Scotland recommending the release of the Lockerbie Bomber around the same time?

Keep your friends close & your enemies closer.
gaddafi-obama-masonic-handshake.jpg

Fake picture?

Abd Bush had already made a favorable status change for Libya. Further proof that Obama is a 3rd Bush term.

That's the point. Even when poor Johnnie McCain works with democrats he still ends up on the shtty end of the stick. Libya was not considered to be a threat to the US until Barry ordered NATO jets to kill Mommar
s kids and destabilize the area before he went on vacation. Now we have the Egyptian muslem brotherhood attacking Israel and the new Libya muslem brotherhood ready to assume the leadership. Oil prices? Who knows?

Last edited:
Already have a thread on this and the problem is that when McCain was courting Libya they were an ALLY. Nothing secret or furtive about it. Libya has been our friend since around 2004. Khaddaffi was an ally, of course we wanted to sell him weapons.

This is a NONE story.

assuming the cable is valid...do you have proof mccain did this without obama's approval? i find it hard to believe all these people just unilaterally went there without the president's approval.

This is absolutely cracking me up. I've been monitoring all sorts of boards today and every liberal in their rabid haste to play "gotcha" missed the freaking date.

Too funny.

:lol:

as i suspected, thread fail. obama was on the same page as mccain et al just one month prior to attacking libya.

While President Obama calls Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi a threat to his own people, just one month before attacking Libya the president asked Congress to increase U.S. aid for Qaddafi's military to $1.7 million.

According to State Department figures, the money was earmarked to train Libyan military officers, improve its air force, secure its borders and to counter terrorism.

Read more: Did Qaddafi Deserve U.S. Funding? Foreign Aid Under Scrutiny Amid Mideast Unrest | FoxNews.com

So? Neither was right.
as i suspected, thread fail. obama was on the same page as mccain et al just one month prior to attacking libya.

While President Obama calls Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi a threat to his own people, just on. e month before attacking Libya the president asked Congress to increase U.S. aid for Qaddafi's military to $1.7 million.

According to State Department figures, the money was earmarked to train Libyan military officers, improve its air force, secure its borders and to counter terrorism.

Read more: Did Qaddafi Deserve U.S. Funding? Foreign Aid Under Scrutiny Amid Mideast Unrest | FoxNews.com

Leaked cable: Sen. McCain promised to help Gaddafi obtain U.S. military hardware

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) promised to help former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi obtain U.S. military hardware, as one of the United States' partners in the war on terror, according to a U.S. diplomatic cable released Wednesday by anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.

The meeting, which took place just over a year ago on Aug. 14, 2009, included other influential Americans, such as Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT), Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), Sen. Susan Collins (R-SC) and Senate Armed Services Committee staffer Richard Fontaine, the document explains.

McCain opened the meeting by characterizing Libya's relationship with the U.S. as "excellent," to which Liebermann added: "We never would have guessed ten years ago that we would be sitting in Tripoli, being welcomed by a son of Muammar al-Qadhafi."

"Lieberman called Libya an important ally in the war on terrorism, noting that common enemies sometimes make better friends," the cable continues. "The Senators recognized Libya's cooperation on counterterrorism and conveyed that it was in the interest of both countries to make the relationship stronger."

Part and parcel to that relationship: military hardware, including helicopters and non-lethal weaponry, meant to ensure the security of Tripoli. In exchange for this and assisting the nation in rehabilitating its image with other lawmakers, Gaddafi pledged to send Libya's highly enriched uranium supplies to Russia for proper disposal.

The cable does not mention anything about the senators pressing Gaddafi for democratic reforms.

oldnews.jpg

Dumbass. :lol:

So? Neither was right.

While President Obama calls Libyan leader Muammar al-Qaddafi a threat to his own people, just on. e month before attacking Libya the president asked Congress to increase U.S. aid for Qaddafi's military to $1.7 million.

so? the thread calls out ONLY mccain et al, fails to mention obama at all, you know, the president

Gaddafi.jpg

The Libya leader Muammar Gaddafi who is also the current President of the African Union met Thursday night with United States President Barack Obama.

Both leaders shook hands and exchanged words of greetings.
This is the first time that the Leader Muammar Gaddafi to meet a US president for the last 39 years. [...]

Later, both sat at the same dining table for dinner hosted by Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi whose country is hosting the annual Group of Eight (G8).

Read more: Maddow Scolds McCain for Meeting Gaddafi in 2009, Ignores Obama Meeting Him Month Prior | NewsBusters.org

Well you did it for him. Good job!

It also seemed like some were excusing McCain for his actions because Obama did it too. Did that tactic work with their parents, I wonder?

Keep your friends close & your enemies closer.
gaddafi-obama-masonic-handshake.jpg

Fake picture?

I doubt it.

obama_gadaffi.jpg

obama-gaddafi-pals.jpg

2011-03-19__Gaddafi-Obama.jpg

obama-gaddafi.jpg

gaddafi-obama_juli__724179q.jpg

gaddafi-obama-300x187.jpg

Per ABC News' Kirit Radia, President George W. Bush today made the first known phone call between a sitting American President and Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi, "a man responsible for hundreds of American deaths and who President Reagan once reviled as 'this Mad Dog of the Middle East.'"

The purpose was to thank Gaddafi for following through with the $1.5 billion settlement deal for the 1980s-era victims of Libyan terror acts.

"The President called Libyan leader Colonel Qadhafi to express his satisfaction that the claims settlement agreement was fully implemented on October 31. The two leaders discussed that this agreement should help to bring a painful chapter in the history between our two countries closer to closure,"

It was only a few years ago that the warmonger Right was trying to claim credit for the Iraq war causing Khadaffi to become our pal.

I think McCain is more than ready for a permanent stint at the old people's home.

You people still haven't figured this out in this thread.

Holy toledo!!! Check the date. Obama was Commander in Chief. McCain and crew couldn't be over there just willy nilly offering weapons.

So, let's put on our thinking caps. Who would have authorized this trip in 2009?

Come on. You can do it.

It was only a few years ago that the warmonger Right was trying to claim credit for the Iraq war causing Khadaffi to become our pal.

I think McCain is more than ready for a permanent stint at the old people's home.

You people still haven't figured this out in this thread.

Holy toledo!!! Check the date. Obama was Commander in Chief. McCain and crew couldn't be over there just willy nilly offering weapons.

So, let's put on our thinking caps. Who would have authorized this trip in 2009?

Come on. You can do it.

i pointed that little tidbit out early on. The mouth breathers promptly ignore it. They don't much like facts getting in the ay of their hate. Makes them all cranky and stuff.

Forum List

Back