Laws for thee. But not for Cops.

California has some of the strictest laws concerning Animal Cruelty. If you leave your Dog in a locked car, you could face Misdemeanor charges. If the dog dies, it could well be Felony Charges. Unless you are a cop. Then it is a terrible tragedy and leave the cop alone as he is suffering the loss of his partner.

Police K9 officer dies after being left in hot patrol car | Daily Mail Online

Anyone else would have been arrested already. Anyone else would be blasted by the press as a cruel and evil individual who betrayed and killed a poor defenseless dog through malicious negligence. But the cop? The cop is not going to be identified. The cop is not arrested. The cop is not charged. The cop is facing an internal investigation.

Is It Animal Abuse to Leave Your Pet in a Locked Car?

Now you can say that people are not arrested for it.

Woman arrested for leaving dog in hot car in Palm Desert

That dog lived, and the owner was still arrested and charged with Animal Cruelty.

Either the law applies to all, or it is unjust. Either we hold all to account, or we are hypocrites in holding only a few to answer for their crimes. This is America, where no one is above, or below, the law in theory. It is a shame we don’t even pretend to practice that.

If the device that warns the officer malfunctioned then that could be a contributing factor. According to your article, they are still investigating the the cause and circumstances behind the death and who may or may not be at fault.

Looks like you are jumping to conclusions just to stir up crap.

Auto driving cars require a driver to be aware and ready to take over. If the technology fails, the driver is responsible for the accident it causes. The same is true of all technology. Autopilots do not relieve the pilot of responsibility. Just as the same technology does not relieve the Captain on water.

In the end, it is always a human who is responsible. In the end, technology is an aide, a crutch, but never the answer. Smart tech is not smart.

The incident is still under investigation, pure and simple. In the end just as technology fails, the creator of technology fails.

California has some of the strictest laws concerning Animal Cruelty. If you leave your Dog in a locked car, you could face Misdemeanor charges. If the dog dies, it could well be Felony Charges. Unless you are a cop. Then it is a terrible tragedy and leave the cop alone as he is suffering the loss of his partner.

Anyone else would have been arrested already. Anyone else would be blasted by the press as a cruel and evil individual who betrayed and killed a poor defenseless dog through malicious negligence. But the cop? The cop is not going to be identified. The cop is not arrested. The cop is not charged. The cop is facing an internal investigation.

That dog lived, and the owner was still arrested and charged with Animal Cruelty.

Either the law applies to all, or it is unjust. Either we hold all to account, or we are hypocrites in holding only a few to answer for their crimes. This is America, where no one is above, or below, the law in theory. It is a shame we don’t even pretend to practice that.

There was supposedly a malfunctioning warning system designed to prevent this sort of occurrence. How many other cases have there been in which a government-provided system existed to warn the vehicle owner if it was getting to hot inside for the animal? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is zero, making your comparisons fall a bit flat.

The officer couldn’t be bothered to check? His duty is to work with the dog. Take care of the dog. A pet is a companion. A working animal is a partner. If anything it makes the comparison worse.

There was supposedly a malfunctioning warning system designed to prevent this sort of occurrence. How many other cases have there been in which a government-provided system existed to warn the vehicle owner if it was getting to hot inside for the animal? I'm pretty sure the answer to that is zero, making your comparisons fall a bit flat.

The officer couldn’t be bothered to check? His duty is to work with the dog. Take care of the dog. A pet is a companion. A working animal is a partner. If anything it makes the comparison worse.

How often do you think the officer needed to check? How long was the dog alone in the car? The article doesn't specify. Was the dog in the car for 4 hours? 20 minutes? Unless you have another source to go by, you don't know. I've looked at multiple reports and have yet to see any length of time given. You appear to be simply assuming the officer involved was negligent, I can only assume because you have a strong bias against police, based on some previous threads you have started/posted in.

Maybe the officer was criminally negligent. Unless you have more information than you've given and than I've seen in some searching about this case, you don't actually know if he was.

How often do you think the officer needed to check? How long was the dog alone in the car? The article doesn't specify. Was the dog in the car for 4 hours? 20 minutes? Unless you have another source to go by, you don't know. I've looked at multiple reports and have yet to see any length of time given. You appear to be simply assuming the officer involved was negligent, I can only assume because you have a strong bias against police, based on some previous threads you have started/posted in.

Maybe the officer was criminally negligent. Unless you have more information than you've given and than I've seen in some searching about this case, you don't actually know if he was.

The dog died from the heat according to the Vet in the reports. Obviously, the fellow was away from the Dog too long.

What I want, what I have always called for, is for the police to be treated exactly the same as everyone else. To be held to the same standards. Not to be given special understandings, nor considerations. Not to be treated more harshly, nor less. Exactly the same.

When a cop plants drugs on a suspect. For some reason that cop is not charged with Possession with intent to distribute. Why not? That was the charge the victim of the crime faced. That is of course, just one example. At most the cop is charged with evidence tampering, or abuse of office. Usually after they retire with full benefits. A year later, at the earliest.

I want to see an end to police misconduct. I want to see a police force worthy of the respect they demand, and the supporters insist we show them. I want to see a police force where honest cops are not run out of the Department.

That is not anti cop. That is a belief that we can get better, we deserve better, and we should be demanding better than we are getting.

The dog died from the heat according to the Vet in the reports. Obviously, the fellow was away from the Dog too long.

What I want, what I have always called for, is for the police to be treated exactly the same as everyone else. To be held to the same standards. Not to be given special understandings, nor considerations. Not to be treated more harshly, nor less. Exactly the same.

When a cop plants drugs on a suspect. For some reason that cop is not charged with Possession with intent to distribute. Why not? That was the charge the victim of the crime faced. That is of course, just one example. At most the cop is charged with evidence tampering, or abuse of office. Usually after they retire with full benefits. A year later, at the earliest.

I want to see an end to police misconduct. I want to see a police force worthy of the respect they demand, and the supporters insist we show them. I want to see a police force where honest cops are not run out of the Department.

That is not anti cop. That is a belief that we can get better, we deserve better, and we should be demanding better than we are getting.

Of course the guy was gone too long since the dog died, but you seem to be saying that you don't think the warning system should ever be used. If the warning system ever went off, it would mean the officer was away from the dog too long, yes?

You say you want police to be treated the same as everyone else, but I wonder if you allow for context in that statement. Almost no one in the group "everyone else" will ever be in some situations which police will find themselves in. :dunno:

I, too, would like to see an end to police misconduct. I'm sure pretty much everyone would. The posts of yours I've seen on this board, however, seem to indicate that you either dislike most/all police because of those who engage in misconduct, or that you believe most police engage in such misconduct.

They seldom even get in trouble when they play jury and executioner on people. Why would dogs get better treatment?

Of course the guy was gone too long since the dog died, but you seem to be saying that you don't think the warning system should ever be used. If the warning system ever went off, it would mean the officer was away from the dog too long, yes?

You say you want police to be treated the same as everyone else, but I wonder if you allow for context in that statement. Almost no one in the group "everyone else" will ever be in some situations which police will find themselves in. :dunno:

I, too, would like to see an end to police misconduct. I'm sure pretty much everyone would. The posts of yours I've seen on this board, however, seem to indicate that you either dislike most/all police because of those who engage in misconduct, or that you believe most police engage in such misconduct.

Most police do engage in misconduct. Lawyers polled believe that police lie in 3 cases out of five. The police themselves call it Tetilying. Chiefs of Police on both coasts have admitted it is a problem. Police perjury - Wikipedia

Perjury is a Felony in all 50 States and every single Territory of this nation. Yet the police do it every single day. Every day they lie “just a little” to get some evidence admitted to the trial. They lie just a little to get the guilty guy. A little lie, is still Perjury. A felony. Lying about a traffic stop, and a Misdemeanor is just stupid, but the police do it.

Good cops, where are they at? When a whistleblower comes forward and tells us the public about these things, or acts to prevent them, the “good cop” is run off of the force.

Buffalo officer Cariol Horne 'fired for trying to stop cop from choking black suspect' | Daily Mail Online

One example, among many. Read the NYPD tapes. You thought Serpico cleaned up the NYPD? Nope.

When the FBI was exposed for doing “Black Bag Jobs” the FBI testified to Congress that they would never do another Black Bag Job ever again. That is true, as far as it went. They called the illegal entry into people’s homes and businesses FBI Specials from then on. They never stopped, they just changed the name from time to time as it was exposed, again, and again.

People objected to Carnivore gobbling up all the emails. The FBI announced that Carnivore had been retired. They didn’t tell us it was replaced. They only admitted that much much later.

The FBI used Lead Matching to get convictions, when it was exposed as Junk Science, the FBI did not contact the Defense Attorneys of those convicted by it.

FBI, Police, everyone with a badge just wants to get the baddie, no matter how much they have to lie, cheat, and break the rules to do it. Hollywood lionizes those who do this, and gives you the impression that the cops are possessed of some secret sixth sense to let them know who is guilty. The rules are just unfair. Well, they are supposed to be unfair. It is supposed to be hard to convict someone. That was the entire reason that it was put in the Bill of Rights. People had the right to remain silent. When Miranda came out, the Cops swore this would screw them up making it impossible to get a confession. When the Supreme Court said it was wrong to beat a suspect into confessing, the cops swore that this would prevent them from getting confessions of guilty people.

The police never understood, and don’t today. Their job is supposed to be hard, and they are supposed to follow the rules. One of those rules, is to tell the truth when they are testifying.

Cokeville Tennessee. Hardly a big city. Small town, small town cops. But they do the exact same thing as the big city cops.

Yes, he was a bad guy. Yes he should have been arrested for violating the restraining order. Sending the dog in was stupid, planting the drugs was incredibly stupid. But the cops wanted a good bust. They wanted to make sure they got this guy off the street. So a little lie, and the guy walked on all the charges. Instead of being safer, the public is in more danger, especially the Ex.

I could post links all night. Example after example, and the argument that it was bad apples is laughable. How is it that five bad apples of the department were in the same place, at the same time? If even 95% of the cops were honest and dedicated and would turn in a corrupt brother officer, then the five percent who were crooked would live in fear of being found out. They would go off and become truck drivers or Uber drivers or private investigators or something. There is no way that the argument of it being a few bad apples works.

Kentucky Police Defy Judge, Ship Mentally Ill Man to Florida

Orders from the court don’t matter either. The cops will do whatever they want, and count on the public siding with the cops refusing to see what is really going on.

Time after time, incident after incident, and the same above the law without repercussions attitude exists over and over again. Read about John Geer, and how the Family had to file a lawsuit to get the information that the Police Department refused to hand over to the Federal Prosecutors, and the State District Attorney’s, for two years.

Yeah. Most of the cops are involved in misconduct. From a little lie to get some evidence admitted, to more serious crimes.

LOL, This was a good one for a laugh.........the police are too stupid to know that you do not leave an animal locked up inside a vehicle on a hot day?

Hell I live in Florida and I if I take my dogs with me if I know I will be stopping. I leave the car and AC running. No big deal.

Seems his automatic warning system failed and you can bet that officer is feeling al kinds of guilty about his partners death. I sure would.

That dog was his partner. His death will be hard on his human partner.

Hell I live in Florida and I if I take my dogs with me if I know I will be stopping. I leave the car and AC running. No big deal.

Seems his automatic warning system failed and you can bet that officer is feeling al kinds of guilty about his partners death. I sure would.

That dog was his partner. His death will be hard on his human partner.

As it is for many who do the same and get arrested.

LOL, This was a good one for a laugh.........the police are too stupid to know that you do not leave an animal locked up inside a vehicle on a hot day?

And here's another who seems to ignore the warning system that was supposed to inform the officer if the vehicle became too hot...

Most police do engage in misconduct. Lawyers polled believe that police lie in 3 cases out of five. The police themselves call it Tetilying. Chiefs of Police on both coasts have admitted it is a problem. Police perjury - Wikipedia

Perjury is a Felony in all 50 States and every single Territory of this nation. Yet the police do it every single day. Every day they lie “just a little” to get some evidence admitted to the trial. They lie just a little to get the guilty guy. A little lie, is still Perjury. A felony. Lying about a traffic stop, and a Misdemeanor is just stupid, but the police do it.

Good cops, where are they at? When a whistleblower comes forward and tells us the public about these things, or acts to prevent them, the “good cop” is run off of the force.

Buffalo officer Cariol Horne 'fired for trying to stop cop from choking black suspect' | Daily Mail Online

One example, among many. Read the NYPD tapes. You thought Serpico cleaned up the NYPD? Nope.

When the FBI was exposed for doing “Black Bag Jobs” the FBI testified to Congress that they would never do another Black Bag Job ever again. That is true, as far as it went. They called the illegal entry into people’s homes and businesses FBI Specials from then on. They never stopped, they just changed the name from time to time as it was exposed, again, and again.

People objected to Carnivore gobbling up all the emails. The FBI announced that Carnivore had been retired. They didn’t tell us it was replaced. They only admitted that much much later.

The FBI used Lead Matching to get convictions, when it was exposed as Junk Science, the FBI did not contact the Defense Attorneys of those convicted by it.

FBI, Police, everyone with a badge just wants to get the baddie, no matter how much they have to lie, cheat, and break the rules to do it. Hollywood lionizes those who do this, and gives you the impression that the cops are possessed of some secret sixth sense to let them know who is guilty. The rules are just unfair. Well, they are supposed to be unfair. It is supposed to be hard to convict someone. That was the entire reason that it was put in the Bill of Rights. People had the right to remain silent. When Miranda came out, the Cops swore this would screw them up making it impossible to get a confession. When the Supreme Court said it was wrong to beat a suspect into confessing, the cops swore that this would prevent them from getting confessions of guilty people.

The police never understood, and don’t today. Their job is supposed to be hard, and they are supposed to follow the rules. One of those rules, is to tell the truth when they are testifying.

Cokeville Tennessee. Hardly a big city. Small town, small town cops. But they do the exact same thing as the big city cops.

Yes, he was a bad guy. Yes he should have been arrested for violating the restraining order. Sending the dog in was stupid, planting the drugs was incredibly stupid. But the cops wanted a good bust. They wanted to make sure they got this guy off the street. So a little lie, and the guy walked on all the charges. Instead of being safer, the public is in more danger, especially the Ex.

I could post links all night. Example after example, and the argument that it was bad apples is laughable. How is it that five bad apples of the department were in the same place, at the same time? If even 95% of the cops were honest and dedicated and would turn in a corrupt brother officer, then the five percent who were crooked would live in fear of being found out. They would go off and become truck drivers or Uber drivers or private investigators or something. There is no way that the argument of it being a few bad apples works.

Kentucky Police Defy Judge, Ship Mentally Ill Man to Florida

Orders from the court don’t matter either. The cops will do whatever they want, and count on the public siding with the cops refusing to see what is really going on.

Time after time, incident after incident, and the same above the law without repercussions attitude exists over and over again. Read about John Geer, and how the Family had to file a lawsuit to get the information that the Police Department refused to hand over to the Federal Prosecutors, and the State District Attorney’s, for two years.

Yeah. Most of the cops are involved in misconduct. From a little lie to get some evidence admitted, to more serious crimes.

You don't like or trust cops. I get it.

And here's another who seems to ignore the warning system that was supposed to inform the officer if the vehicle became too hot...

I ignored nothing. I said that if you are so stupid as to not know what happens if you leave an animal in a car on a hot day that you need a warning system, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.

I ignored nothing. I said that if you are so stupid as to not know what happens if you leave an animal in a car on a hot day that you need a warning system, you probably shouldn't be carrying a gun.

How long was the dog in the vehicle on the 84 degree day? How long would have been unreasonable? Or are you saying one should not leave any animal in a vehicle for any length of time in such circumstances? Personally, I find it a bit hard to judge when I don't even know how long the dog was in the vehicle, but I guess you do not.

How long was the dog in the vehicle on the 84 degree day? How long would have been unreasonable? Or are you saying one should not leave any animal in a vehicle for any length of time in such circumstances? Personally, I find it a bit hard to judge when I don't even know how long the dog was in the vehicle, but I guess you do not.

It was in there long enough to die. If citizens are expected to know and get arrested when they do not the police should not be held to a different standard.

You do not leave a dog in a car on a hot day at all.

It was in there long enough to die. If citizens are expected to know and get arrested when they do not the police should not be held to a different standard.

Until a citizen leaves a dog in a car with the sort of warning system the police vehicle had, and that system fails to function, the comparison fails.

Once again, without the details of this case, such as how long the dog was in the car, or what sorts of other precautions the officer may have taken, making a judgement about what happened is foolish. Should it turn out that the officer left the dog in the car for hours, without water, air flow, or air conditioning, simply relying on the warning system, that would be one thing. If the officer was gone for 20 minutes, with water left for the dog and the windows opened some, that would be different. The details are important.

Until a citizen leaves a dog in a car with the sort of warning system the police vehicle had, and that system fails to function, the comparison fails.

If you continue to want to argue that the police are too dumb to understand what everyone else does, I suppose you can.

again, without the details of this case, such as how long the dog was in the car, or what sorts of other precautions the officer may have taken, making a judgement about what happened is foolish. Should it turn out that the officer left the dog in the car for hours, without water, air flow, or air conditioning, simply relying on the warning system, that would be one thing. If the officer was gone for 20 minutes, with water left for the dog and the windows opened some, that would be different. The details are important.

If the windows had been opened the dog doesn't die.

If you continue to want to argue that the police are too dumb to understand what everyone else does, I suppose you can.

again, without the details of this case, such as how long the dog was in the car, or what sorts of other precautions the officer may have taken, making a judgement about what happened is foolish. Should it turn out that the officer left the dog in the car for hours, without water, air flow, or air conditioning, simply relying on the warning system, that would be one thing. If the officer was gone for 20 minutes, with water left for the dog and the windows opened some, that would be different. The details are important.

I guess maybe you are too dumb to understand that opening windows doesn't prevent a car from heating up, huh? ;)

Or perhaps, just perhaps, what you think "everyone knows" is not necessarily something everyone knows, or even necessarily true?

For example: Heat Stress From Enclosed Vehicles: Moderate Ambient Temperatures Cause Significant Temperature Rise in Enclosed Vehicles
HEAT EXPOSURE IN AN ENCLOSED AUTOMOBILE

Maybe you should wait for the details of the case before passing judgement. After all, your last post indicates that you might leave a dog in a car with the windows opened and assume it couldn't overheat and die.

I guess maybe you are too dumb to understand that opening windows doesn't prevent a car from heating up, huh? ;)

Or perhaps, just perhaps, what you think "everyone knows" is not necessarily something everyone knows, or even necessarily true?

For example: Heat Stress From Enclosed Vehicles: Moderate Ambient Temperatures Cause Significant Temperature Rise in Enclosed Vehicles

Maybe you should wait for the details of the case before passing judgement. After all, your last post indicates that you might leave a dog in a car with the windows opened and assume it couldn't overheat and die.

If "everyone" doesn't know it, you can't charge anyone. The officer knew.

If "everyone" doesn't know it, you can't charge anyone. The officer knew.

It must be nice to know what a complete stranger did or did not know. Of course, considering you thought you knew something that turned out to be false just a couple of posts back, maybe your judgement is suspect....

Forum List

Back