Last male Northern White Rhino dies

Hate seeing any of these magnificent creatures disappear. Hopefully we are advanced enough now to actually help them and not drive them to extinction.

.So? Extinction is, and has always been, entirely natural. Weeping and whining not required.
its not natural when poaching is the reason....
Actually it is.

Life and death is often determined by predators.
a lion hunting a zebra is kinda different than a poacher hunting a rhino for his horn.......
No different. Dead is dead regardless of motive.

I have a difficult time mustering very much grief over a subspecies becoming extinct, as long as the parent species remains.

The southern white rhinoceros, which is the same species as the nearly-extinct northern white rhinoceros, is still fairly abundant, numbering in the teens of thousands. They could even try breeding the two remaining female northern whites with some of the plentiful male southern whites, to create a line of mixed-breed white rhinoceroses that would preserve some of whatever trait distinguishes the northern subspecies from the southern one.

There are hidden contradictions within the minds of people who “love nature” while deploring the “artificialities” with which “Man has spoiled ‘Nature.” The obvious contradiction lies in their choice of words, which imply that Man and his artifacts are not part of “Nature”--but beavers and their damns are. But the contradictions go deeper than this prima-facie absurdity. In declaring his love for a beaver damn (erected by beavers for beaver’s purposes) and his hatred for dams erected by men (for the purpose of men) the “Naturist” reveals his hatred for his own race--i.e., his own self-hatred. In the case of “Naturists” such self—hatred is understandable; they are such a sorry lot. But hatred is too strong an emotion to feel toward them; pity and contempt are the most they rate. As for me, willy-nilly I am a man, not a beaver, and H. Sapiens is the only race I have or can have. Fortunately for me, I like being part of a race made up of men and women-- it strikes me as a fine arrangement and perfectly “natural.” Believe it or not, there were “Naturists” who opposed the first flight to old Earth’s Moon as being “unnatural” and a “despoiling of nature

.By: Robert Heinlein

Alas, another species about to be gone. 2 females remain.

Northern white rhino: Last male Sudan dies in Kenya

r

Earth's sixth mass extinction event under way, scientists warn

It's useful, in understanding events like this, to know the difference between species and subspecies. In this case, the species is in no immediate danger of extinction. There are two extant subspecies of white rhino—the northern white rhino and the southern white rhino. It is only the northern subspecies that is nearly extinct; the southern subspecies is doing just fine.

It's useful, in understanding events like this, to know the difference between species and subspecies. In this case, the species is in no immediate danger of extinction. There are two extant subspecies of white rhino—the northern white rhino and the southern white rhino. It is only the northern subspecies that is nearly extinct; the southern subspecies is doing just fine.

The southern white rhino is not doing fine. Its population is greatly reduced.

Jeez, there are some dumb people on this message board.

That is really depressing. :( Hopefully they are able to impregnate one of the females and continue the species, but that is probably quite difficult to do with a successful outcome.

The southern white rhino is not doing fine. Its population is greatly reduced.

The Southern White Rhinoceros was indeed uncomfortably close to extinction back in the 1960s or so, having been down to a known population of less than a thousand. The population has recovered greatly since then, and is now known to be somewhere in the 16,000 to 19,000 range, making it the most abundant variety of rhinoceros.

Jeez, there are some dumb people on this message board.

Yes, there certainly are.

1295180.png

All that matters is that we're doubling population every 50 years.

Most humans don't give a stuff as long as they have their food and entertainment.

They'll be like "Oh, that's really bad, what's on TV tonight?"

And what exactly would you expect a person to do about it? Are you doing something about it? What makes you think you are so much better than any other average person who is powerless to do something about the extinction of a species?? Fuck man! Climb down off your high horse before you get knocked off!

That is really depressing. :( Hopefully they are able to impregnate one of the females and continue the species, but that is probably quite difficult to do with a successful outcome.

The species is in no immediate danger. While the Northern White may soon be extinct, the Southern variety, which is the same species, is quite abundant.

.So? Extinction is, and has always been, entirely natural. Weeping and whining not required.
Actually it is.

a lion hunting a zebra is kinda different than a poacher hunting a rhino for his horn.......
one is hunting to survive the other is hunting for profit and can care less if he kills off what he is hunting...

Actually it is.

one is hunting to survive the other is hunting for profit and can care less if he kills off what he is hunting...
And yet the end result is the same.

Forum List

Back