Last male Northern White Rhino dies

its not natural when poaching is the reason....
Actually it is.

Life and death is often determined by predators.
a lion hunting a zebra is kinda different than a poacher hunting a rhino for his horn.......
No different. Dead is dead regardless of motive.
one is hunting to survive the other is hunting for profit and can care less if he kills off what he is hunting...
And yet the end result is the same.
really?...what species have the lion killed off?...

Actually it is.

Life and death is often determined by predators.
a lion hunting a zebra is kinda different than a poacher hunting a rhino for his horn.......
one is hunting to survive the other is hunting for profit and can care less if he kills off what he is hunting...
Probably plenty throughout history. Just like every other extinct species that was killed off as prey. But your question is moot as history tells us that almost all creatures on earth have become extinct at some point be it via natural disasters or falling prey to predators.

Probably plenty throughout history. Just like every other extinct species that was killed off as prey. But your question is moot as history tells us that almost all creatures on earth have become extinct at some point be it via natural disasters or falling prey to predators.
if you say so gramps....

Alas, another species about to be gone. 2 females remain.

Northern white rhino: Last male Sudan dies in Kenya

r

Earth's sixth mass extinction event under way, scientists warn
Congratulations mankind, another completely eliminated from the planet. Finish your work on the elephant and tiger now.

Like somebody else said, it's a natural thing.

99% of all Species that have ever existed are extinct..

Extinction - Wikipedia

Yet at the same time this news about the Rhino is sad.....

How can you be so dumb?

This extinction was caused by human overhunting. It is not a natural extinction.

If you were actually paying attention you would know this was not an extinction.
Do you really believe that humans are somehow less natural than other animals?

Everybody just loves dangerous animals as long as they are a few thousand miles away from where they are trying to live and raise children.

More species have gone extinct than have not, it is the way of evolution to pick off those species, and especially those who over-specialize themselves out of existence.

Human's can survive pretty much anywhere on this planet /because/ we adapt nature to us, because we use nature to it's fullest available resource; were we to stop doing so, as the environmental fruit loops would like, then we would be as susceptible to the next "extinction event" as the creatures who go extinct right now, and those who will in the future.

Adaptation is the key to survival, if the animals cannot adapt to whatever is thrown at them, then there is a "flaw" in their evolution. Poaching doesn't help of course, but that wasn't allowed in the zoos so it's really not poaching that extincted them. In the case of these rhinos it is unfortunately that they are piss poor breeders. It's not like human's haven't been fighting to keep them alive for many of their generations either - we've been trying to "save" them since the 70s as I recall, despite all our efforts - even the ones in zoos - just don't breed well, period. They've been extinct in the wild since like 2008, (I believe it's "officially" 2011 because some helicopter pilots had reported a sighting but those rhinos were never found again.) The only mild success we've had with these guys was back in... the late 90s early 2000s I think, there was only 15 of them in the wild, we managed to get that population up to 30-something over the next decade. There was a bad weather pattern after that, combined with the "usual" poaching, it wiped them /all/ out in a scant couple years (it might have even been one year.) We've reintroduced as many as we can to the wild but they fail to breed.

There's unfortunately just not much we can do for such a "frail" creature. Sub-species like these evolve to take advantage of a specific ecological niches, when the niche disappears so do they. If conditions aren't just right they don't drop calves. While the global environment around them has changed, they as a sub-species have not, they just move; trying to chase the conditions they want... need, and the "conditions" needed to support them don't exist any more, which is why all our efforts fail - in captivity or otherwise. Their non-adaptability is what drove their extinction, more so than poaching.

Oh, here I thought John McCain died in Kenya.. . Good thing I clicked on your thread to see what it was about.
Its [sic] the end of this species and you have JOKES?

It's not the end of a species.

The Southern White Rhinoceros, which is the same species as the nearly-extinct Northern White Rhinoceros, is doing just fine.

.So? Extinction is, and has always been, entirely natural. Weeping and whining not required.
:rolleyes:

"Poaching"

Tell me, is there any other species on earth that is able to "poach" other animals?

You are pretty brainwashed by government schooling.

I don't think native Americans poached buffalo. Nor do I think our ancestors poached Woolly Mammoths and Woolly Rhinos to the end. I think you mean. . . HUNTING.

When humans came to Australia and introduced placental mammals, specifically placental predators, do you have any idea what happened to the marsupial predators?

They weren't poached, but they didn't survive.

Sure, it's sad, but I suppose it is sad the Dodo, the Carolina parakeet, and the Woolly Mammoth isn't here anymore either. It will be equally sad when our time is up, but that is part of the universal law. There is no such thing as "poaching" though, that is a human construct to try to control livestock, land and resources.

.So? Extinction is, and has always been, entirely natural. Weeping and whining not required.

"Poaching"

Tell me, is there any other species on earth that is able to "poach" other animals?

I don't think native Americans poached buffalo. Nor do I think our ancestors poached Woolly Mammoths and Woolly Rhinos to the end. I think you mean. . . HUNTING.

When humans came to Australia and introduced placental mammals, specifically placental predators, do you have any idea what happened to the marsupial predators?

Sure, it's sad, but I suppose it is sad the Dodo, the Carolina parakeet, and the Woolly Mammoth isn't here anymore either. It will be equally sad when our time is up, but that is part of the universal law. There is no such thing as "poaching" though, that is a human construct to try to control livestock, land and resources.
im brainwashed by government schooling?....i have read many of your post beal,i dont think you should be trying to say you are more intelligent than anyone here...because you have been kicked around here more than a few times.....

"Poaching"

Well unfortunately, there have to be controls because there are too many retards around who do stupid things. Those types of people ruin everything for everyone who would be a responsible hunter.

There is no such thing as poaching now? Poaching is a term used to describe the illegal harvesting of an animal. As an avid hunter I detest humans who won't follow laws that protect over harvesting. Poachers should simp!y lose their legal right to hunt along with harsh harsh fines. You want to call it overhunting that's fine. Its still morally wrong.

The "definition" between hunting and poaching is generally in the use of the carcass. Hunters eat the meat, however poachers take only certain parts of the animal - typically for non-consumption needs. To example these rhinos are poached for their horns (and I believe certain bones that are thought to cure stuff) Another example would be the "poaching" of tigers for their penises, which were believed in Asian medicine to cure impotence.

Poaching can also refer to "illegally hunting" or "illegally trapping" animals; though it's a bit more rare than the above; and generally it's in cases where the animals are taken as pets and stuff. Like you could poach foxes to sell them as illegal pets. One could poach wolves in order to sell illegal hybrids.

Or one could hunt an "endangered" animal, however, that's actually technically exceptionally rare because, in general, countries where animals are being hunted despite being endangered are exceptionally poor nations - and frankly poor nations don't give too shits about making laws to "save the X" - they're too worried about stopping their children from starving to death to worry about such things.

The "definition" between hunting and poaching is generally in the use of the carcass. Hunters eat the meat, however poachers take only certain parts of the animal - typically for non-consumption needs. To example these rhinos are poached for their horns (and I believe certain bones that are thought to cure stuff) Another example would be the "poaching" of tigers for their penises, which were believed in Asian medicine to cure impotence.

Poaching can also refer to "illegally hunting" or "illegally trapping" animals; though it's a bit more rare than the above; and generally it's in cases where the animals are taken as pets and stuff. Like you could poach foxes to sell them as illegal pets. One could poach wolves in order to sell illegal hybrids.

Or one could hunt an "endangered" animal, however, that's actually technically exceptionally rare because, in general, countries where animals are being hunted despite being endangered are exceptionally poor nations - and frankly poor nations don't give too shits about making laws to "save the X" - they're too worried about stopping their children from starving to death to worry about such things.

Thank you.

I really hate when modern culture and global law tells folks they can't live as they have always lived.

The fact is, hunting isn't the cause of the extinction of species, WE ARE.

There just isn't enough habitat for everyone, eventually someone is going to lose. It is the nature of, well, nature.

Alas, another species about to be gone. 2 females remain.

Except it's not really a species. Basically an ethnic group within the species. But that wouldn't be as convenient for partisan purposes.

Yes, as I keep pointing out, the species includes both the Northern White Rhinoceros, which is nearly extinct, and the Southern White Rhinoceros, which is the most abundant type of rhinoceros, in no immediate danger of extinction.

If the two remaining Northern females are fertile, they could, and probably should just breed them with Southern males.

Forum List

Back