Largest union in California endorses pot legalization

topspin

Rookie
Apr 29, 2010
Largest union in California endorses pot legalization - California - Salon.com

Largest union in California endorses pot legalization
The 700,000-member group could be a political powerhouse and a strong ally for the Proposition 19 campaign
By JULIANA BARBASSA, Associated Press
A ballot measure that would legalize marijuana in California won the support Tuesday of the largest union in the state.

The 700,000-member Service Employees International Union California has 15 locals representing workers in health care, building services and state and local government.

The possibility of members operating phone banks, walking precincts and raising money makes the union a political powerhouse in the state and a strong ally for the Proposition 19 campaign.

However, the endorsement letter from SEIU California president Bill Lloyd left unclear how much time and money the union would provide.

Most union resources will go toward supporting Jerry Brown in the governor's race, Lloyd said, although he vowed members would help Proposition 19 any way they can.

Revenue raised by legalizing marijuana could help the state preserve jobs and avoid cuts to health care, home care, education and other services, he added.

Proposition 19 calls for allowing adults to possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Local governments could tax its sales.

The campaign has won the support of several other labor groups, including the Northern California council of the International Longshore & Warehouse Union and Communications Workers of America Local 9415.

The measure also has the endorsement of the NAACP California chapter. President Alice Huffman fought off criticism from religious leaders, saying Proposition 19 would help eliminate law enforcement practices that disproportionally target African Americans.

A group of former law enforcement officers also endorsed the measure, saying it would free up the courts and police to work on more serious crimes.

Oh, well, if the Union wants it, we better legalize it then.

Fucking morons and their obsessive need to hide from reality piss me off, but I'll support their right to damage their health - as long as I don't have to pay for it. Don't legalize pot and then bring in healthcare that forces me to pay for the self inflicted health problems of others.

Oh, well, if the Union wants it, we better legalize it then.

Fucking morons and their obsessive need to hide from reality piss me off, but I'll support their right to damage their health - as long as I don't have to pay for it. Don't legalize pot and then bring in healthcare that forces me to pay for the self inflicted health problems of others.

I like this comment two fold, but I'm also on the fence about it. It's only possible for a schitzo like myself, but here goes:

I also think they should be allowed to damage themselves and have @ Pot.
I also don't like paying the Bills of persons with self inflicted health issues.

My problem, is where do you draw the line of "self inflicted?" (athletes? Junk food eaters? Meth heads?)..........and the second clause is, if we're to cover NOBODY, who can't cover themselves, do you fully understand that effect?

• Banned
there are virtually no self inflicted pot wounds vs tons of benefits. It would be nice if the conservatards read some on the issue.

there are virtually no self inflicted pot wounds vs tons of benefits. It would be nice if the conservatards read some on the issue.

That's a canaard that Pot doesn't have detrimental effects. I bear witness myself.

I'm still for legalization, though.

• Banned
I've been around it and burned it all my life. Compared to beer the problems are miniscule. It's bullshit fear mongering by conservative. ie prohibition was sold with conservatives claiming black and brown men would rape white wive's. Really we're still buying this line in 2010. Come on Man!

I'm curious as to the position of whatever unions represent the police and prison guards. Legalise pot and their workload drops.

Also, what, if any, is the strategy for those currently incarcerated if this passes?

I've been around it and burned it all my life. Compared to beer the problems are miniscule. It's bullshit fear mongering by conservative. ie prohibition was sold with conservatives claiming black and brown men would rape white wive's. Really we're still buying this line in 2010. Come on Man!

Ok, so call the bad effects miniscule, don't pretend there are none. I know daily smokers who don't participate in ciggies, and cough like 65 years old ciggy smokers. Mind you, they're like 25.

Also, much like coffee, THC fans the flames of pre-existing Anxiety-Disorder conditions.

Of course those that make money off the oppression will want to keep thier paper.
Big Alchohal is against it, duh and their claiming impaired workers. Are you fucking kidding me.

Develop a way to determine THC intoxication while driving and I'll support legalizing it.
(you do understand that unions support legalization so they can benefit from the taxes that they hope go into their pockets,right)

PS. Gambling can destroy a life without physical harming a hair on your head. Just because something isn't physically harmful ( pot ain't great for lungs btw ) doesn't mean it's a great practice.

Ok, so call the bad effects miniscule, don't pretend there are none. I know daily smokers who don't participate in ciggies, and cough like 65 years old ciggy smokers. Mind you, they're like 25.

Also, much like coffee, THC fans the flames of pre-existing Anxiety-Disorder conditions.

well there's a reason to jail people for it, it's as dangerous as coffee

child please

child please

Learn how to follow a conversation without A.D.D. kicking in. I'm FOR legalization. Child please is a nice way of saying "what a retarted notion," whereas you're retarted for not noticing that I'm not arguing for Criminilization's purposes. I'm just saying be honest and it's the best way forward. Don't continue with the "perfectly safe, even healthy!" canaard.

child please

Learn how to follow a conversation without A.D.D. kicking in. I'm FOR legalization. Child please is a nice way of saying "what a retarted notion," whereas you're retarted for not noticing that I'm not arguing for Criminilization's purposes. I'm just saying be honest and it's the best way forward. Don't continue with the "perfectly safe, even healthy!" canaard.

assclown stop acting like your in Junior high. If your for legalization what the fuck are you doing polluting the argument with bullshit minutia. Retard

child please

assclown stop acting like your in Junior high. If your for legalization what the fuck are you doing polluting the argument with bullshit minutia. Retard

When you miss the point and then call someone else a middle-schooler, it's called irony.

When you miss the point and then call someone else a middle-schooler, it's called irony.

water is dangerous if you drink to much, when you compare it to coffee your waisting my time. Give yourself a cookie for the irony comment.

water is dangerous if you drink to much, when you compare it to coffee your waisting my time. Give yourself a cookie for the irony comment.

You're wasting the pro-legalization effort's time by using dishonesty as a means to promote your goal. That's the entire point.

For Anxiety, pot has harmful effects.
For lungs, pot has harmful effects.

You said: pot has no harmful effects.

You're wasting the pro-legalization effort's time by using dishonesty as a means to promote your goal. That's the entire point.

For Anxiety, pot has harmful effects.
For lungs, pot has harmful effects.

You said: pot has no harmful effects.

Your a complete fucking moron, and I'm sick of people like you with false info.
Doctors prescribe it for anxiety clown

I'm 49,been for legalization my entire adult life and smoked pot for 25-30 years before quitting a few years ago and anyone who thinks that pulling in smoke deeeeeeep into their lungs and holding it in for several seconds is not a health risk;at least in that one area;respiratory; is so damn biased for legalization that they can't see any negatives.

Having said that, I still support legalization and oppose taxpayers paying for healthcare, this is one of several reasons why healthcare should be individual, government can't control individual lifestyle choices in a free society

Forum List

Back