Language Discrimination

Is there anything to it at all, or is it the epitome of PC whining? Upon first glance, it seems ridiculous and easily dismissed, but if you think about it in detail and apply that to a variety of contexts maybe there is a kernel of truth in there. Or not. What do you think?

Are You a Victim of Language Discrimination?
Of course it exists, you can see it even here.
You cannot call a person a c#nt but you CAN call them a cock sucker. Is that not sexist?
You cannot call a person a ni99er but you CAN be called a whole slew of words. Is that not racist?

Kernel of truth? TOTAL truth.

Is there anything to it at all, or is it the epitome of PC whining? Upon first glance, it seems ridiculous and easily dismissed, but if you think about it in detail and apply that to a variety of contexts maybe there is a kernel of truth in there. Or not. What do you think?

Are You a Victim of Language Discrimination?
Of course it exists, you can see it even here.
You cannot call a person a c#nt but you CAN call them a cock sucker. Is that not sexist?
You cannot call a person a ni99er but you CAN be called a whole slew of words. Is that not racist?

Kernel of truth? TOTAL truth.

I think we all pretty much know that's due to the historical legacy of how certain terms were used in american society by a brutal power structure.

Aside from particular words or phrases, what about people who are prejudged because of an accent?

images

Of course there's language discrimination...

*****SMILE*****

:)

images

*****SMILE*****

정말???

View attachment 76385

It's Korean... The translation program I'm using doesn't make sense of the two characters you're using though.

*****SMILE*****

걱정 하지 : 나는 도움이 될 수 있습니다 .....

That one did well. It says...

Not to worry: I can help.

정말??? means "Really???"

The program still doesn't like this one though so thank you for the translation and in response to the question...

As with any language if you are poor and speak it incorrectly you are generally delegated to a... lesser job. As the video I provided in my original post suggests.

But that's alright because...

*****CHUCKLE*****

images

*****SMILE*****

정말???

View attachment 76385

It's Korean... The translation program I'm using doesn't make sense of the two characters you're using though.

*****SMILE*****

정말??? means "Really???"

The program still doesn't like this one though so thank you for the translation and in response to the question...

As with any language if you are poor and speak it incorrectly you are generally delegated to a... lesser job. As the video I provided in my original post suggests.

*****CHUCKLE*****

It's really clever the way you use the videos.

Thank you.

I worked with this guy once who, on paper, would seem to be highly qualified for his position; Ivy League educated, relevant experience, the whole nine yards. It turns out the guy was quite good at his job too. BUT, I couldn't stand to speak with the guy for more than five minutes at a stretch, and if I had been doing the hiring I never would have hired him after an interview. This, by all accounts highly educated adult, could not get through a sentence without saying "like" at least five times. Not a bad guy, but I just could not stand listening to what sounded like an affectation of a dopey teenager. It was maddening.

I realize that probably counts as 'Language Discrimination.'

images

*****SMILE*****

정말???

View attachment 76385

*****SMILE*****

정말??? means "Really???"

*****CHUCKLE*****

"...if you are poor and speak it incorrectly you are generally delegated to a... lesser job."

Although I have been back several times, and use it almost daily, here, my Korean is probably as you describe...

Luckily, I have been able to developed a facility in my adopted language.

They say the value of learning a foreign language is so that you can communicate with the lottery winners.

Last edited:
images

*****SMILE*****

정말???

View attachment 76385

*****SMILE*****

정말??? means "Really???"

*****CHUCKLE*****

"...if you are poor and speak it incorrectly you are generally delegated to a... lesser job."

Although I have been back several times, and use it almost daily, here, my Korean is probably as you describe...

Luckily, I have been able to developed a facility in my adopted language.

upload_2016-6-1_1-6-45.jpeg

They say the value of learning a foreign language is so that you can communicate with the lottery winners.

images

I believe there's a lot of truth behind that last sentence.

*****SMILE******

Forum List

Back