Lame Duck or Public Enemy #1?

why would we need Keystone when we have the more shale oil production than we can use right here in our own country?

First off, we are nowhere near self-sufficient in oil production although imports have dropped, Canada is still our #1 foreign supplier. That and their tar sand oil AND oil from the Bakken (which is now being shipped by rail) will both flow through the Keystone XL to Houston. While I have no desire to see the canuck oil head straight to China, that scenario will still make it more expensive than russian oil for them. I was against the Keystone XL, then for it, and now I can't decide.

why would we need Keystone when we have the more shale oil production than we can use right here in our own country?

First off, we are nowhere near self-sufficient in oil production although imports have dropped, Canada is still our #1 foreign supplier. That and their tar sand oil AND oil from the Bakken (which is now being shipped by rail) will both flow through the Keystone XL to Houston. While I have no desire to see the canuck oil head straight to China, that scenario will still make it more expensive than russian oil for them. I was against the Keystone XL, then for it, and now I can't decide.

First of all I have no problem with building a new pipeline. The refineries in Southeast Texas are geared up to handle heavy crude oil. We would likely replace a lot of the oil we get from Venezuela which is even heavier. We should also be able to export more refined product too.

Much of the problem could be solved by building NEW refineries in the midwest and left coast....it's been over 30 years since the EPA would allow it. :cuckoo:

I am thinking that Obama is worried about how the Dems changed the rules so a simple majority can pass bills. The Dems were pretty cocky when they had the majority and gave themselves more power. Now I expect sharp criticism if the Repubs take advantage of that. Obama will wear out his pen as he attempts to go it alone, just like he promised to do.
Wait until a Republican President starts citing Obama as precedent for gutting the Constitution and ruling by edict.

This country will go so far right you will not recognize it.

He has set the most dangerous precedents of any President in history.
If the republicans get to the White House and keep both Houses of Congress, they need to make sure the president doesn't go too far to the right, otherwise the left - right cycle will start again. The main reason a radical leftist like Obama got elected was because of the Bush presidency. And of course the fact that the Media has become a propaganda arm of the Democratic party.

Last edited:
Colorado breaks record for annual oil production - Denver Business Journal

I don't believe we should build a steak house then let Canada build another steak house right beside ours.

Like I said, the Bakken and the canuck fields are pretty much the same massive formation, the exception being the NG output we're getting in the Dakotas. But I believe the price should be STEEP because the canucks have cheated us every chance they got on NAFTA and because they have no other way of exporting their oil cheaply. Their own indian tribes and tree huggers won't let them build a pipeline to the Pacific Ocean....the waters off Vancouver are extremely dangerous for tankers....shoals and rip tides....I've fished up in there....the RIP is unreal and would surely result in another Exxon Valdez.

Much of the problem could be solved by building NEW refineries in the midwest and left coast....it's been over 30 years since the EPA would allow it. :cuckoo:

Refining capacity has increased while the number of refineries have decreased. Unless the problem is we're not exporting enough refined product.

Forum List

Back