Ladies...c-section question

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
With Nathan, I had them put me under fully, because I knew that if I would likely have the mother of all panic attacks during surgery, and as I had pre-eclampsia, with very high BP, that would not be good. Plus the fact that they had been trying to induce me for nearly 2 days, with little progress, my BP was way up because I was having attacks left and right.

This time, I have my c-section scheduled. Now that I kind of know what to expect as far as post-surgery, I am willing to be just numbed like they do with most women. However, I am kind of, well, scared, because of the whole environment of the OR and the dr's in scrubs and such. I am a hypochondriac as it is, and hospitals in general freak me out because they remind me of death (bad experience as a kid-details some other time) so I am afraid that I will at some point during the procedure, freak out, and cause problems.

I guess I am wondering what to expect this time, if i do opt to just be numbed from chest down? What does it feel like? Is it like when the dentist numbs your face for dental work, and it feels like there is a gaping hole in your face, as well as cold?

I am kinda worried that I will freak out at the fact I cannot feel my body, or the anesthesia (sp?) needle will miss and hit something major and really paralyze me or something worse.

I really want to be awake for this one because I missed the first few moments, really first half hour, of Nathan's little life because I was still under the anesthesia.

I dunno. I just want to be brave, but panic attacks come on without warning, so I don't know what to do.

Have you discussed these fears with your doctor?
I know what panic attacks are like, and you're right, you can't go having one in the middle of the delivery.

1. Anesthetic is soooo different now. I had to have a spinal with both my children because of where I was located. One of my friends got to have an epidural; I was sooooo envious. Now it's standard.

2. Even when you are "knocked out" they still numb you. It doesn't hurt, just because you're asleep.

3. During all six of my surgeries I was awake. During some of them I small-talked, but mostly I wanted the doctor to concentrate on what he was suppose to be doing.

4. Musicman's, son's mother was awake during the delivery. Everything was blocked from her view but he got to watch it all. Said it was the most wonderful thing he's ever experienced.

Oh, & my nephew's wife is a severe diabetic. She just gave birth Feb 28th to an almost 10 lb girl. She has had both children c-section, and they MAKE her stay awake.

Joz said:
Have you discussed these fears with your doctor?
I know what panic attacks are like, and you're right, you can't go having one in the middle of the delivery.

1. Anesthetic is soooo different now. I had to have a spinal with both my children because of where I was located. One of my friends got to have an epidural; I was sooooo envious. Now it's standard.

2. Even when you are "knocked out" they still numb you. It doesn't hurt, just because you're asleep.

3. During all six of my surgeries I was awake. During some of them I small-talked, but mostly I wanted the doctor to concentrate on what he was suppose to be doing.

4. Musicman's, son's mother was awake during the delivery. Everything was blocked from her view but he got to watch it all. Said it was the most wonderful thing he's ever experienced.

I watched both ex-wives deliver....I was called every name in the book...along with watching my daughter deliver and hearing the same thing about her spouse...I have seen alot of blood and guts in my life...but this was by :puke: far the one I would like to forget!

fuzzykitten99 said:
no, and i am not really sure why. maybe because i am afraid that if i speak my fears, they will become reality... i don't really know. it's hard for me to put my fears into words to someone else in person, especially doctors.
I know doctors are intimidating. If you can't talk to him/her then you don't really have a good one. I mean to say one that fits you're personality. TELL the DOC. Instead of you're fears becoming a reality, you will find just how much you mind will be relieved. And if it isn't, keep talking until you find someone that can help alleviate your fears.

archangel said:
I watched both ex-wives deliver....I have seen alot of blood and guts in my life...but this was by :puke: far the one I would like to forget!
You aren't the only man I've heard say this. In fact, my bro in law didn't even go in with his wife.
But I can't imagine this miracle being less than thrilling.
Especially when it isn't you're ass that's up in the air.

Joz said:
You aren't the only man I've heard say this. In fact, my bro in law didn't even go in with his wife.
But I can't imagine this miracle being less than thrilling.
Especially when it isn't you're ass that's up in the air.

that may be true..during delivery...however ya did play too...no? And who had the best orgasim....don't blame the guy...you played too! Ass in the air...gimmeee a break...and did you do this?

Joz said:
I know doctors are intimidating. If you can't talk to him/her then you don't really have a good one. I mean to say one that fits you're personality. TELL the DOC. Instead of you're fears becoming a reality, you will find just how much you mind will be relieved. And if it isn't, keep talking until you find someone that can help alleviate your fears.
it really isn't that i can't talk to my OB, i just don't really know why it is so hard for me to verbalize things like this, to anyone really. maybe the person (whomever it is) will think i am being silly and just say 'oh, you'll be fine' etc. and not really act like my fears are justified. My whole life, it has been like that, where my fears were blown off or i was made to feel like i was being silly. I hate that 'oh, you'll be fine' with that tone like you are being ridiculous. Maybe that's why i internalize my fears so much.

archangel said:
that may be true..during delivery...however ya did play too...no? And who had the best orgasim....don't blame the guy...you played too! Ass in the air...gimmeee a break...and did you do this?

I don't see me blaming a man for anything. And I don't see what an orgasm has to do with this either.
You're gonna have to explain this one.

archangel said:
arch--you're fixing to get shredded

fuzzykitten99 said:
i.....k i am being silly and just say 'oh, you'll be fine' etc. and not really act like my fears are justified. My whole life, it has been like that, where my fears were blown off or i was made to feel like i was being silly. I hate that 'oh, you'll be fine' with that tone like you are being ridiculous....
I still wonder sometimes if I make noise when I talk. I know exactly what you're saying. They can be so patronizing. Here you are frantic and they pooh-pooh you're fears as tho' they aren't warranted. That's why I said, to talk to whomever will listen to alleviate your fears. Press on with the doctor if he/she treats you this way. By golly, THAT'S what he's there for.

Joz said:
I still wonder sometimes if I make noise when I talk. I know exactly what you're saying. They can be so patronizing. Here you are frantic and they pooh-pooh you're fears as tho' they aren't warranted. That's why I said, to talk to whomever will listen to alleviate your fears. Press on with the doctor if he/she treats you this way. By golly, THAT'S what he's there for.

Amen, sistah! :thup:

I could write a book on sucky doctors.

dilloduck said:
arch--you're fixing to get shredded

gimmee a break I am not a "metro man"..I am aware of the consequences of playing the sex game...Some women in here seem to think that after the orgasim...well golly gee lets just blame it on the guy for all of our pain during delivery...as if they are so un-aware of the consequences/sex ed 101..if ya can't take the pain then don't play the game...blame the guy is socially and biologically un-acceptable...what happened to 'buzzof dude'...no leg spread for ya...this was common in my day what happened to the good old girl saying..NO! I am simply amazed by this BS...I went home on many occassions in my youth with the my croutch hurts syndromne....Live with it boys and girls...this is what I taught my kids both girls... :spank3:

How very true...Ms.Shatterd just neg'd me for this one...I will not neg her in return....I feel sorry for her...have a nice night shattered>..Please dmp don't kill me for honesty!

archangel said:
gimmee a break I am not a "metro man"..I am aware of the consequences of playing the sex game...Some women in here seem to think that after the orgasim...well golly gee lets just blame it on the guy for all of our pain during delivery...as if they are so un-aware of the consequences/sex ed 101..if ya can't take the pain then don't play the game...blame the guy is socially and biologically un-acceptable...what happened to 'buzzof dude'...no leg spread for ya...this was common in my day what happened to the good old girl saying..NO! I am simply amazed by this BS...I went home on many occassions in my youth with the my croutch hurts syndromne....Live with it boys and girls...this is what I taught my kids both girls... :spank3:

I never got the whole yell at the husband thing.
I did a lot of pleading, though. As in, "Please, make the pain go away", and "Please, get the nurse to give me drugs".

orgism, orgasm, pregnant, not, what's the difference? :laugh:

Abbey Normal said:
I did a lot of pleading, though. As in, "Please, make the pain go away", and "Please, get the nurse to give me drugs".

I'm okay with that...pain sucks...if ya were ever hit in combat...which I now can equate to this..hell ya stop the pain..but don't blame others...no? Well except if they are the real enemy!

Abbey Normal said:
I hear ya. I never would take the drugs, but my pain threshold is very high. None of them were 'unbearable.'

What was 'unbearable' was two herniated discs, that called for major cussing and 10 days in traction.

archangel said:
I watched both ex-wives deliver....I was called every name in the book...along with watching my daughter deliver and hearing the same thing about her spouse...I have seen alot of blood and guts in my life...but this was by :puke: far the one I would like to forget!

After reading your other posts in the thread, I'm not so sure your two ex-wives were calling you every name in the book because of child-birth pain.

Forum List

Back