First South Dakota - Now Mississippi

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
JACKSON, Miss. - A state House committee voted to ban most abortions in Mississippi, which already has some of the strictest abortion laws in the nation.

The bill approved by the House Public Health Committee on Tuesday would allow abortion only to save the pregnant woman's life. It would make no exception in cases of rape or incest. The bill now goes to the full House, which could vote next week, and then to the Senate.

South Dakota lawmakers passed a similar bill last week that was intended to provoke a court showdown over the legality of abortion.

The Mississippi lawmaker who introduced the near-ban, Democrat Steve Holland, said he acted because he was tired of piecemeal attempts to add new abortion restrictions year after year.

Holland said he has voted for some abortion restrictions and against others in the past. "I have a strong dilemma within myself on this," Holland said. "I can only impregnate. I can't get pregnant myself."

Mississippi already requires a 24-hour waiting period and counseling for all abortions, plus the consent of both parents for minors who seek the procedure. Republican Gov. Haley Barbour favors restrictions on abortion, but he has not spoken about the current legislation.

The state has one abortion clinic, in Jackson, and its leaders plan to fight if more restrictions are imposed.

"We're realists. We know we're in a state where the Legislature is anti-choice," said Susan Hill, president of the National Women's Health Organization, which runs the clinic.

The South Dakota legislation went to Republican Gov. Mike Rounds on Tuesday, and he has 15 days to act. Rounds has said he's inclined to sign the bill into law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301...EaB_YEA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

gop_jeff said:
Now there will be another tourism boycott... not that Katrina didn't already hit S. Mississippi hard enough.

It's a conspiracy to get everyone to vacation in California. :banana:

Kagom said:
It's Mississippi, should I be surprised? (I am from there)

How nice that you come from such a nice state that values all life even the perceived inconvenient ones. :)

Bonnie said:
How nice that you come from such a nice state that values all life even the perceived inconvenient ones. :)
I value life, even a fetus' life. I'm pro-life :p But I want to keep institutionalized abortion until we manage to get the abortion rate to as close to 0 as possible and then make it illegal.

Kagom said:
I value life, even a fetus' life. I'm pro-life :p But I want to keep institutionalized abortion until we manage to get the abortion rate to as close to 0 as possible and then make it illegal.
Making it illegal would HELP get the abortion rate as close to zero as possible.

mom4 said:
Making it illegal would HELP get the abortion rate as close to zero as possible.
No it wouldn't. It would mean many would go to back alley abortions and to Canada or some other place in the world for abortions. Then that ends up hurting our economy. It's a double edged sword, but if you say "They deserve the illegal procedures and all the suffering that endures", then you're only doing eye for an eye and that will make the world blind.

Kagom said:
No it wouldn't. It would mean many would go to back alley abortions and to Canada or some other place in the world for abortions. Then that ends up hurting our economy. It's a double edged sword, but if you say "They deserve the illegal procedures and all the suffering that endures", then you're only doing eye for an eye and that will make the world blind.
Exposing Roe as 'unconstitutional' will NOT end abortions. It would merely return the issue back to the states, which have changed considerably since Roe.

Kathianne said:
Exposing Roe as 'unconstitutional' will NOT end abortions. It would merely return the issue back to the states, which have changed considerably since Roe.
That's different. You said make it illegal.

Kathianne said:
It's been quite a week for me. Just recently I asked a girl named Elizabeth if she was the same Emily I went to school with. That's a taste for things like that.

But going back to the point: if the states themselves decide it's unconstitutional, that's fine. That's their prerogative, but I think legalized abortion is safer for the short time being until we can educate people better about sex and raise awareness and have more anti-abortion campaigns until we reach that 0 margin.

Kagom said:
It's been quite a week for me. Just recently I asked a girl named Elizabeth if she was the same Emily I went to school with. That's a taste for things like that.

But going back to the point: if the states themselves decide it's unconstitutional, that's fine. That's their prerogative, but I think legalized abortion is safer for the short time being until we can educate people better about sex and raise awareness and have more anti-abortion campaigns until we reach that 0 margin.
OMG! How many 6th graders are you acquainted with that cannot tell you what sexual intercourse is? What are the ways to prevent conception? I teach that grade, in Catholic school, the answer on the first is 0. The second, at least 3.

Kagom said:

Not sure I followed you around that bend but okay.

Bonnie said:
Not sure I followed you around that bend but okay.
Couldn't rep but was going to say, "You just are not thinking outside the box." :laugh:

Originally Posted by mom4

Kagom said:
No it wouldn't. It would mean many would go to back alley abortions and to Canada or some other place in the world for abortions.

You're making the common mistake of assuming that human behavior is fixed; that it doesn't adapt to changing circumstances. Many a woeful, gloom-and-doom projection is based on this flawed premise. We're not perfect beings, but we can adjust - we can grow. It happens all the time.

Kagom said:
Then that ends up hurting our economy.

:wtf:

Kagom said:
It's a double edged sword, but if you say "They deserve the illegal procedures and all the suffering that endures"...

Even if that's accurate to a degree, it reflects a rather coldhearted outlook. I've never said it.

Kagom said:
then you're only doing eye for an eye and that will make the world blind.

Well, "an eye for an eye" is not really the operative principle here, but let's stay with it for a second. Saying "an eye for an eye will make the world blind" assumes - again - that human behavior is fixed. Seems to me, a more likely scenario would be that humanity would begin to prize its eyes more than its bad behavior.

But the truth that applies here is this: you don't accept bad behavior because "people are going to do it anyway". That's cultural suicide.

Forum List

Back