First South Dakota - Now Mississippi

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by GotZoom, Mar 2, 2006.

1. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    JACKSON, Miss. - A state House committee voted to ban most abortions in Mississippi, which already has some of the strictest abortion laws in the nation.

The bill approved by the House Public Health Committee on Tuesday would allow abortion only to save the pregnant woman's life. It would make no exception in cases of rape or incest. The bill now goes to the full House, which could vote next week, and then to the Senate.

South Dakota lawmakers passed a similar bill last week that was intended to provoke a court showdown over the legality of abortion.

The Mississippi lawmaker who introduced the near-ban, Democrat Steve Holland, said he acted because he was tired of piecemeal attempts to add new abortion restrictions year after year.

Holland said he has voted for some abortion restrictions and against others in the past. "I have a strong dilemma within myself on this," Holland said. "I can only impregnate. I can't get pregnant myself."

Mississippi already requires a 24-hour waiting period and counseling for all abortions, plus the consent of both parents for minors who seek the procedure. Republican Gov. Haley Barbour favors restrictions on abortion, but he has not spoken about the current legislation.

The state has one abortion clinic, in Jackson, and its leaders plan to fight if more restrictions are imposed.

"We're realists. We know we're in a state where the Legislature is anti-choice," said Susan Hill, president of the National Women's Health Organization, which runs the clinic.

The South Dakota legislation went to Republican Gov. Mike Rounds on Tuesday, and he has 15 days to act. Rounds has said he's inclined to sign the bill into law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060301...EaB_YEA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Now there will be another tourism boycott... not that Katrina didn't already hit S. Mississippi hard enough.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    It's a conspiracy to get everyone to vacation in California. :banana:

4. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    It's Mississippi, should I be surprised? (I am from there)

5. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    How nice that you come from such a nice state that values all life even the perceived inconvenient ones. :)

6. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I value life, even a fetus' life. I'm pro-life :p But I want to keep institutionalized abortion until we manage to get the abortion rate to as close to 0 as possible and then make it illegal.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Making it illegal would HELP get the abortion rate as close to zero as possible.

8. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    No it wouldn't. It would mean many would go to back alley abortions and to Canada or some other place in the world for abortions. Then that ends up hurting our economy. It's a double edged sword, but if you say "They deserve the illegal procedures and all the suffering that endures", then you're only doing eye for an eye and that will make the world blind.

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Exposing Roe as 'unconstitutional' will NOT end abortions. It would merely return the issue back to the states, which have changed considerably since Roe.

10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    That's different. You said make it illegal.