Sex & Marriage

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Joz, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I've changed this whole post from what it started out as.

82 years later, R.I. couple still holding hands
    Union is world's longest-running

NORTH PROVIDENCE -- It began with a passing glance, then a second look.
    "'She had on a white blouse, a blue skirt -- and legs. Wow! And legs," John Rocchio recalled of the first time he saw Emilia Antonelli in Providence in 1922. ''So I says to myself, 'I need to meet that broad.' "

And so he did. They fell in love and married. And they remain so today, 82 years later.....John, who is 101, and Emilia, who is 100, the longest-married couple in the world.
    ...The Rocchios offer no universal recipe for a long marriage, but they are not coy about what's made their own work.

''Making love," Emilia pronounced
    with gusto yesterday as she patted her husband's arm.

The two say they have rarely fought in their eight-plus decades together, save for disagreements over automobiles.

Their younger daughter, who is 78 and never married, lives with them.

''We're still holding hands," Emilia said.
    The Rocchios were just 17 and 19 when they crossed paths outside John's uncle's laundry......

They went on their first date that night, and a few months later, on Feb. 10, 1923, they wed at St. Ann's in Providence....

But their children and grandchildren say it was Emilia who often called the shots in the marriage.''She made the big decisions," said daughter Ella Sarra, who is 81 and lives in Cranston.

They say there was one rocky period in their marriage. Back in the early days, John took a job at a printing press in New York. It was a prestigious post, and he wanted to give it a whirl. She stayed in Rhode Island and worried that he would leave her.
    The arrangement lasted a week.
    ''I had to come home," John said. ''I missed her."

http://www.boston.comnews/local/rho...82_years_later_ri_couple_still_holding_hands/

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Joz

Joz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Tho' some of you have argued this point with me in the past, I STILL stand firm that this is the glue in a marital relationship. You need love, friendship, understanding, trust, patience, communication, but true intimacy is what sets marriage apart from all other relationships. And tho' intimacy can be achieved different ways, making love is the one the one that truly touches the soul.

3. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47

4. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Absolutely. You have to have sex. Pretty often, too.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    And if you don't have sex, you need to find other ways to share/create intimacy.

:)

Course...what do I know..my marriage isn't the model anyone should follow...lol :)

6. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Definitely need both. But I have to agree with Joz that there is something special about sex. It was designed by God to be the symbol of the marriage, the act that actually defines marriage. If you are mad at each other, going your separate ways each day, too busy for each other... Doing/saying nice things for/to each other can certainly help. But one good round of sex bonds you together on a whole different level.

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I hear it so often from friends and family - "Dude, all that sex and romance stuff fades. You're living in a fantasy world; you're NOT very realistic."

I simply don't buy it. Fades is a strange word. Fade could be a little or a lot. Fade is what a couple makes of it. I contend, especially early in a marriage, LOTS of sex AND intimacy is vital. Luckily in most marriage, that's how it works - the couple humps like bunnies the first year or so. But through that excitement and time of exploration a couple can build a bond - a foundation - which can help them weather many storms later in the relationship.

Want to have a solid marriage? Make love..make Intimacy, and make it often. :)

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    :thup:

9. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533