Killer Astroid

When ever I read about any thing dealing with science, the conservative reaction always amuses me.

They have this love/hate relation with science. The love to hate science, and hate to have to rely on science.

First, they don't understand why scientists don't have all the answers. Then, they make fun of scientists for not having all the answers. The ironic part is the conservatives don't even have the "questions".

Oh bullshit. A large percentage of the greatest scientific minds are devoted Christians and have been throughout the ages.

I love science. I love REAL science. Not the made up kind, though. I find genetics fascinating and see them as a reflection of God's power and complexity, as I do pi. I despise it when political hacks bastardize it and lie about it to further idiotic agendas.

The funny thing is when you look at recorded history it's pretty obvious that our progress is constantly interrupted.

Once upon a time we could quarry, cut and move 100 ton stones like they were Lego pieces, now Space Aliens look as plausible as any other explanation. We find batteries thousands of years old in Baghdad, yet Ben Franklin is credited with "inventing" electricity.

gosh! I have been watching all those programs too! some amazing stuff...

we have obviously lost knowledge and gained it again, a few times over, from our near wipeouts over the years....

Jesus was a scientist, he turned suffering into whine.

hahahahahahaha! :lol:

BUT ACTUALLY....that, was the ONE thing that Jesus didn't do when being crucified ....is WHINE.....he took it like a man....according to the story.

The funny thing is when you look at recorded history it's pretty obvious that our progress is constantly interrupted.

Once upon a time we could quarry, cut and move 100 ton stones like they were Lego pieces, now Space Aliens look as plausible as any other explanation. We find batteries thousands of years old in Baghdad, yet Ben Franklin is credited with "inventing" electricity.

Good God, Frank, have you never worked in industry? Just one of the backup rolls on our 4 hi rolling mills weighs 180 tons without the bearings and frame. 220 tons as it goes in. And it is removed and changed on a daily basis.

Using the tools that they had at the time, we have moved huge stones, just as they did in that time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0]YouTube - Building Stonehenge - This Man can Move Anything[/ame]

No, Ben Franklin did not invent electricity. He was one of the first to study it in a methodical manner.

The so called Baghdad Battery was more than likely a method to plate gold onto silver.

Battery (thing)@Everything2.com

No one is sure who invented the 1st battery; the earliest specimen of one is the "Baghdad Battery", a number of clay jars discovered in Baghdad, Iraq in 1932. The battery is believed to be around 2000 years old, constructed during the Parthian period (250 BCE to CE 250). The device itself is a clay pot with an asphalt cork. An iron rod travels through the asphalt and into a cylinder attached to the cork which partially fills the jar, but does not touch the bottom. When the battery is filled with an electrolyte, such as wine or vinegar, it produces an electric charge.

No one is entirely sure what the Baghdad batteries were for; important electronic appliances (like toasters and walkmans) had not yet been invented. Many believe that the batteries were used to cover silver with gold when making jewelry; the process of electroplating.

There were a bunch of wars and a few hundred more years passed and the Baghdad batteries were forgotten; the technology to make fake jewelry was lost.

When ever I read about any thing dealing with science, the conservative reaction always amuses me.

They have this love/hate relation with science. The love to hate science, and hate to have to rely on science.

First, they don't understand why scientists don't have all the answers. Then, they make fun of scientists for not having all the answers. The ironic part is the conservatives don't even have the "questions".

Oh bullshit. A large percentage of the greatest scientific minds are devoted Christians and have been throughout the ages.

I love science. I love REAL science. Not the made up kind, though. I find genetics fascinating and see them as a reflection of God's power and complexity, as I do pi. I despise it when political hacks bastardize it and lie about it to further idiotic agendas.

Exactly what do you mean, the "made up kind"? Anything that does not fit your perception of reality?

The scientific method is the rule that we use to obtain models of how the universe works. It does not mean that our models are perfect, but that they represent reality as we now understand it. Further knowledge changes our model, as we saw with Newtonian physics and relativity.

The science of genetics, and the reinforcement of the Theory of Evolution as it is understood at this time, hardly represents a denial of a Diety. Nor does it represent a support for the idea of a Diety. It is simply data based on reality that supports our present models of how we came to be as we are today.

Science concerns physical evidence concerning physical processes. It does not deal in the supernatural.

Good God, Frank, have you never worked in industry? Just one of the backup rolls on our 4 hi rolling mills weighs 180 tons without the bearings and frame. 220 tons as it goes in. And it is removed and changed on a daily basis.

Using the tools that they had at the time, we have moved huge stones, just as they did in that time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0]YouTube - Building Stonehenge - This Man can Move Anything[/ame]

No, Ben Franklin did not invent electricity. He was one of the first to study it in a methodical manner.

The so called Baghdad Battery was more than likely a method to plate gold onto silver.

No one is sure who invented the 1st battery; the earliest specimen of one is the "Baghdad Battery", a number of clay jars discovered in Baghdad, Iraq in 1932. The battery is believed to be around 2000 years old, constructed during the Parthian period (250 BCE to CE 250). The device itself is a clay pot with an asphalt cork. An iron rod travels through the asphalt and into a cylinder attached to the cork which partially fills the jar, but does not touch the bottom. When the battery is filled with an electrolyte, such as wine or vinegar, it produces an electric charge.

No one is entirely sure what the Baghdad batteries were for; important electronic appliances (like toasters and walkmans) had not yet been invented. Many believe that the batteries were used to cover silver with gold when making jewelry; the process of electroplating.

There were a bunch of wars and a few hundred more years passed and the Baghdad batteries were forgotten; the technology to make fake jewelry was lost.

I love your dismissive and faux superior attitude especially when claiming knowledge not your own and using it to attempt to deride someone who worked with Manhattans biggest real estate developer for 15 years, giving me access to talk with the most up to date, state of the art General Contractors about building techniques; it says a lot about you. But you're right Miss Scarlett, I'm a house worker, I don't know nothing about building large buildings.

The man in the video is clearly onto something, no doubt about it. He moved those large stone all by himself around his level, concrete platform with the greatest of ease.

Since the quarry for the Stonehenge Blue Stone was over 240 miles away all we have to do is find the portions of the overland level concrete road that eased transportation of the stones from the quarry to the construction site. Piece of cake.

I was thinking more about the following: Puma Punku where the stone clearly show signs of complex engineering and machines cuts. These were not done with deer antlers.

carved.jpg

And then at Sacsayhumana where they took the mans stone moving techniques and added a dimension to it because some of the stone have as many as 16 facets and they fit absolutely perfectly into all of the stones next to them.

pe_sacsayhuaman_zed.jpg

The explanation that the Baghdad batter was used for electroplating gold jewelry makes less sense than anything you've posted, but again, since that explanation is not your own, I cannot fault you for it.

battery.jpg

I'm more inclined to go with the idea that mankind was as clever then as we are today; that back then people were as smart as Einstein, Obama, Old Rocks and Freddo Corleone and they may have come up with more practical uses for electricity then pawning fake gold coins off on people.

dendera_light.jpg

This is from the Egyptian Temple at Dendera and shows a construction that looks an awful lot like a light bulb. This would make sense that the interiors of Egyptian temples were artificially lighted since no system of mirrors was capable of bringing sunlight into the temples while they were being built and no smoke from burning torches has ever been found on the ceiling of the interior of any Egyptian Temple. The Bablyonians and Egyptians and countless others all knew what power there was in lightning and found a way to harness electricity for their purposes.

We forgot somewhere along the way.

Last edited:
On an archeological program, I watched an engineering archeologists, with nothing but wooden poles and a granite hammerstone, fit two large andesite boulders together just as closely as the pre-Inca did.

As for the rest of your slack jawed wonder, yes, our ancestors were just as smart as we are today. And, using the technology of the day, accomplished wonders. But that was all it was, ingeneous use of the tools that they had.

Light bulbs in Egypt? Think about the technology that would support that. Where are the glass factories? The copper wire, transformers, and generators? What you are proposing is ridiculous.

but that has to be quite far away from Earth otherwise don't we get hit by lot's of small chunks?

Most..maybe 99% will miss. Anything else will be mostly burned up in the atmosphere or glance off.

No matter what happens smaller is better.
I've been lied to?

Why does this response not suprise me? I knew SOMEONE would go there...everybody wants to be a commedienne. We are talkin final days ...death an destruction and Ol Terry just wants to get naked one more time and bump ugly!

Christ! do you people ever take anything seriously? I mean besides sex... Oh to hell with it...I'm gonna find me a hooker and an eight ball...

Most..maybe 99% will miss. Anything else will be mostly burned up in the atmosphere or glance off.

No matter what happens smaller is better.
I've been lied to?

Why does this response not suprise me? I knew SOMEONE would go there...everybody wants to be a commedienne. We are talkin final days ...death an destruction and Ol Terry just wants to get naked one more time and bump ugly!

Christ! do you people ever take anything seriously? I mean besides sex... Oh to hell with it...I'm gonna find me a hooker and an eight ball...
What is wrong with the last day on this Earth to enjoy it with MAYBE sex.

I mean seriously if I knew I had hours to live and I was healthy, I would want to spend it doing something with my partner then running around screaming and all scared. Go out with a smile so to speak. Of course you dirty it up and bring in the word HOOKER oh and my Husband isn't UGLY.

Yeah, it certainly seems the more we learn about the past, the more we learn that our ancestors weren't idiots, nor were the completely incapable of understanding science. Archelogists have found some amazing mathematical works among ancient peoples.

I think it is kind of funny how humans, thinks they can change nature.

FYI, I am always interested in things from space, we are part of it. But can we seriously do anything about it? I do not think so. Except evacuate the place where scientist "think" the asteroid may have hit. By the way this asteroid came and went. I think it missed us :lol:

I love your dismissive and faux superior attitude especially when claiming knowledge not your own and using it to attempt to deride someone who worked with Manhattans biggest real estate developer for 15 years, giving me access to talk with the most up to date, state of the art General Contractors about building techniques; it says a lot about you. But you're right Miss Scarlett, I'm a house worker, I don't know nothing about building large buildings.

The man in the video is clearly onto something, no doubt about it. He moved those large stone all by himself around his level, concrete platform with the greatest of ease.

Since the quarry for the Stonehenge Blue Stone was over 240 miles away all we have to do is find the portions of the overland level concrete road that eased transportation of the stones from the quarry to the construction site. Piece of cake.

I was thinking more about the following: Puma Punku where the stone clearly show signs of complex engineering and machines cuts. These were not done with deer antlers.

carved.jpg

And then at Sacsayhumana where they took the mans stone moving techniques and added a dimension to it because some of the stone have as many as 16 facets and they fit absolutely perfectly into all of the stones next to them.

pe_sacsayhuaman_zed.jpg

The explanation that the Baghdad batter was used for electroplating gold jewelry makes less sense than anything you've posted, but again, since that explanation is not your own, I cannot fault you for it.

battery.jpg

I'm more inclined to go with the idea that mankind was as clever then as we are today; that back then people were as smart as Einstein, Obama, Old Rocks and Freddo Corleone and they may have come up with more practical uses for electricity then pawning fake gold coins off on people.

dendera_light.jpg

This is from the Egyptian Temple at Dendera and shows a construction that looks an awful lot like a light bulb. This would make sense that the interiors of Egyptian temples were artificially lighted since no system of mirrors was capable of bringing sunlight into the temples while they were being built and no smoke from burning torches has ever been found on the ceiling of the interior of any Egyptian Temple. The Bablyonians and Egyptians and countless others all knew what power there was in lightning and found a way to harness electricity for their purposes.

We forgot somewhere along the way.

I'm glad to see a civil discussion but I can't follow you down that road Frank...Light bulbs? The one thing that would have made that impossible is a vacume. There was no way to number one manufacture a filiment and two it took years in scientific labs to perfect a vacume bulb to keep oxygen out of it so the filiment wouldn't go off like a flash bulb. A coleman type lantern maybe..

Humans have always been curious but as clever as today? Hard to prove. They didn't have the education..They didn't have the background or scientific methodology. I know a little about invention..that's what I do. Even with todays advantages it takes time to develope an idea..a lot of time. Lets go back in time to the land of the Pharoahs. For example I may have an invention that has a hundred parts to it. We can call it a rifle for a sample project. Problem..the only thing that can be made with current technology is the wood stock. We do have knives and axes and possibly simple saws. Lets say I need a simple steel screw to even think about assembly of my wild idea. Sorry.. hasn't been invented yet. It might take over a year to make one tiny screw that doesn't break. It might take more than a year to make the tools to make the screw. Todays machining tools like bridgeport mills and brake lathes are easily 10,000 times more efficient man hour wise than anything they had..bare hands..sticks..stones ..crude metal tools all resembling knives and axes. Sure they had big old sharpening wheels but that isn't a 20,000 rpm hand held pneumatic die cutter with a carbide bit is it? The had forges and blacksmiths but first offs let alone duplication took weeks where I might make the same part better with materials a hundred times better in a couple of minutes on a lathe or a mill..then if I need a hundred of them I program one of our NC machines and voila! an hour later there are a hundred exactly the same.

Point is Frank that no matter how clever your punkin head is you have to work with what you have been taught and what tools you have available. I ddoubt you would ever try but if you want to prove your theory..sit down with a little chunk of steel(whoops hasn't been invented yet) but for our purposes with only the tools they had and try to fashion a simple screw. I gaurantee you will give up in a week or two.

lol @ lightbulbs. Yes, they had Gigantic Lightbulbs with snakes inside of them, exactly as the picture depicts!! smh.

On an archeological program, I watched an engineering archeologists, with nothing but wooden poles and a granite hammerstone, fit two large andesite boulders together just as closely as the pre-Inca did.

As for the rest of your slack jawed wonder, yes, our ancestors were just as smart as we are today. And, using the technology of the day, accomplished wonders. But that was all it was, ingeneous use of the tools that they had.

Light bulbs in Egypt? Think about the technology that would support that. Where are the glass factories? The copper wire, transformers, and generators? What you are proposing is ridiculous.

LOL Slack jawed.

The rocks at Puma Punku are diorite and granite just won't cut it. LOL Slack jawed. Look up what you need to use to cut diorite...and you call me slack jawed LOL.

Look at the cuts and the interconnecting pieces and tell me what was used to make them. Take your time

Yeah, Mammy and Big Sam carried in photons to the interiors of the temples, no other explanation. Glass and electricity was beyond the capabilities of the Egyptians

This has taken awhile to filter into the Western press, but an asteroid exploded over the town of Bone,Indonesia on October 8th at around 11am local time. Initially, locals called the police to report that a plane had crashed, or that an earthquake shook the ground, as reported in the Jakarta Globe. The Jakarta Post quoted Thomas Djamaluddin, head of the Lapan Center for Climate and Atmosphere Science Implementation as saying that the explosion was due to a meteorite or bit of space junk that had entered the Earth's atmosphere. As it turns out after further analysis, the explosion was due to an asteroid about 5-10 meters (15-30 feet) in diameter exploding in the air between 15 and 20 km (nine to 12 miles) above sea level. Nobody was injured as a result of the explosion, but it evidently caused quite a scare with the local population!

In a press release from the Near Earth Object (NEO) program, the explosion was detected by many International Monitoring System (IMS) infrasound stations, five of them 10,000 km (6200 miles) away, and one 18,000 km (11,100 miles) from the blast. These stations monitor seismic waves, infrasound (low frequency soundwaves), hydroacoustic, and radionuclide emissions as part of the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO). They are well equipped to monitor explosions of nuclear weapons, but also detect other events such as meteorite impacts and asteroid explosions, tsunamis and earthquakes.

When analyzed, the amount and intensity of low frequency sound waves created by the explosion allowed researchers Elizabeth Silber and Peter Brown of the Meteor Infrasound Group at the Univ. of Western Ontario to determine that the explosion caused by the asteroid was on the scale of 30 50 kilotons of TNT. To give you an idea of how powerful of an explosion this is, the bombs dropped over Hiroshima and Nagasaki in World War II exploded with the force of 20 kilotons of TNT.

A video of the explosion can be seen here: Asteroid Explodes over Bone, Indonesia. The fireball also called a bolide created a dusty tail upon entering the atmosphere of the Earth. It is estimated that the asteroid was traveling around 72,000 km/hour (45,000 miles/hour) when it hit the atmosphere. As an asteroid enters the thick Earth atmosphere, it slows down abruptly and heats up due to the process of ablation. If this asteroid were made of metal instead of rock, it would likely have impacted the ground causing a lot of damage. Fortunately for the residents of Bone and the surrounding area, the rock broke up in a large fireball instead. There haven't been any reports of pieces that have touched down as of yet.

Asteroids of this size are predicted to impact the Earth about every 2-12 years, and the last one of this magnitude was a bolide over the Marshall Islands on February 1, 1994. That impactor was estimated to be between 4.4 and 13.5 meters. A full analysis of that event is available on the SAO/NASA Astrophysics Data System.

Of course, events like this always raise the question of why the object wasn't detected before it even entered the atmosphere. The NEO program has cataloged over 600 objects in the size of 10 meters, but there are many, many more out there. The cost of a monitoring and cataloging all of the Near Earth Objects would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars, but more events like this may spur the political will and capital to further efforts at protecting human lives from the potential damage of meteorite impacts.

Source: Night Sky, Spaceweather.com, JPL Press Release

For those of us that have some science in our background, this is an ongoing story. It does not concern if we might get hit, that is a certainty. It is when, and will we be far enough along to prevent that strike? Will we have people in power that are sufficiently in touch with reality and the scientific communtity to do the neccessary actions?

Not an idea to terrorize anyone with. Reality to challenge us to prevent such a catastrophe.
for those of us that can actually READ, we know its ancient history
:lol:

Forum List

Back