Killer Astroid

This is why we should be investing in the space program.
No don't say that, NASA is just welfare for scientists, don't you know anything.
Asteroids never really hit the Earth, the whole dinosaur extinction thing is just a Republican plot to stir up support for NASA.
NASA contributes to Global Warming!!!!!!!!!
End sarcasm

Discovered in January they claim this thing will come within 18,000 miles from earth impact. That is a little too close people.

Discovery of PHA K09B81D 2009 BD81

I was watching the launch today and this science guy just comes on and blurts out that we could use this new rocket to save the earth from the astroid impact....WTF????

Perhaps we should move the earth to a new location.

Or start building spaceships like in Battlestar Galactica, and get while t he getting's good!

A small body like that would not be that difficult to deflect, were we to detect it early enough. A very small push adds up over astronomical distances. That is why the uncertanty of the next passes. A little unanticipated nudge, such as passing through a very strong solar wind from a flare, could change the trajectory in an unfavorable manner.

Discovered in January they claim this thing will come within 18,000 miles from earth impact. That is a little too close people.

Discovery of PHA K09B81D 2009 BD81

I was watching the launch today and this science guy just comes on and blurts out that we could use this new rocket to save the earth from the astroid impact....WTF????

I'll make sure I'm deep underground on February 27th 2009.

Cascade Mountains won't help if one hits like this. LOL...I think this video is cool though.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zvCUmeoHpw]YouTube - Asteroid Impact (HD)[/ame]

In 1962, the old Astounding Science Fiction magazine had a fact article about an asteroid just a mile in diameter striking the Earth. They had it hit mid-Pacific, and then did the physics of the hit. Even one that small would effectively end civilization as we know it. As a species, we would probably survive, but the majority of us would not.

Cascade Mountains won't help if one hits like this. LOL...I think this video is cool though.

YouTube - Asteroid Impact (HD)

A direct hit ..you are correct. 3-4000 feet up and a qtr mile deep in granite...fortified steel and concrete bunker... generators..tools...lathe and mill.. It's a place to start over.

Gotta get high enough to withstand a 2,000 ft wall of water. Biggest chance is an ocean impact. Biggest still is in the pacific ocean.

Plenty of water deep in the mountains plus waterfalls all over the place to make ones own electricity. Halide lights will grow food. A dissasembled helecopter and airplane at the ready when it is safe to go out and explore.

Going into the steep side of a mountain you will be safe from predators animal and human.

A direct hit ..you are correct. 3-4000 feet up and a qtr mile deep in granite...fortified steel and concrete bunker... generators..tools...lathe and mill.. It's a place to start over.

Gotta get high enough to withstand a 2,000 ft wall of water. Biggest chance is an ocean impact. Biggest still is in the pacific ocean.

Plenty of water deep in the mountains plus waterfalls all over the place to make ones own electricity. Halide lights will grow food. A dissasembled helecopter and airplane at the ready when it is safe to go out and explore.

Going into the steep side of a mountain you will be safe from predators animal and human.
I would rather be at ground zero and end it fast then slow and painful death.

Here is a interesting site for information on past strikes;

ASTR 121, O'CONNELL. Study Guide 22 [Spring 2009]

This is an older animation of a strike of an asteroid.

Massive tsunami sweeps Atlantic Coast in asteroid impact scenario for March 16, 2880

March 16, 2880, is the day the asteroid known as 1950 DA, a huge rock two-thirds of a mile in diameter, is due to swing so close to Earth it could slam into the Atlantic Ocean at 38,000 miles per hour. The probability of a direct hit is pretty small, but over the long timescales of Earth's history, asteroids this size and larger have periodically hammered the planet, sometimes with calamitous effects. The so-called K/T impact, for example, ended the age of the dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

http://es.ucsc.edu/~ward/1950-DA(5).mov

No, all you have to get is far enough inland so the wave recedes before it reaches you. Once the water has no ocean depth it starts to collapse pretty quickly. Google Tsunami Impact regions and you can probably get a pretty fair idea of how far a 2000 foot wall of water will go by doubling the distance inland of a 500 foot wall of water. Or Four times the distance inland of a 250 foot wall if there are no figure for a 500 foot wall.

A strike that size would sterilize the surface of the earth, and the atmosphere would be difficult to breath for a while. Survival, even in a bunker like that would be problmatic, expecially in the Cascades. A volcanic range overlying a subduction zone. No telling what kind of hell that the strike would produce there, even if it were on the other side of the globle.

Then you have the problem of growing the seeds that you have stored. No soil. Best store a large amount of soil and the critters that make it soil, in your bunker. And religiously keep that soil good, for it would be your only lifeline.

In a short time after that size of strike, there would be no predators of any kind to worry about.

When ever I read about any thing dealing with science, the conservative reaction always amuses me.

They have this love/hate relation with science. The love to hate science, and hate to have to rely on science.

First, they don't understand why scientists don't have all the answers. Then, they make fun of scientists for not having all the answers. The ironic part is the conservatives don't even have the "questions".

They seem to pull out the asteroid story whenever they don't have any fires, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes or ice storms to terrorize us with! :lol:

For those of us that have some science in our background, this is an ongoing story. It does not concern if we might get hit, that is a certainty. It is when, and will we be far enough along to prevent that strike? Will we have people in power that are sufficiently in touch with reality and the scientific communtity to do the neccessary actions?

Not an idea to terrorize anyone with. Reality to challenge us to prevent such a catastrophe.

For those of us that have some science in our background, this is an ongoing story. It does not concern if we might get hit, that is a certainty. It is when, and will we be far enough along to prevent that strike? Will we have people in power that are sufficiently in touch with reality and the scientific communtity to do the neccessary actions?

Not an idea to terrorize anyone with. Reality to challenge us to prevent such a catastrophe.

Yep. Humanity will face an extinction event from an asteroid, if we live long enough. It actually doesn't take a very large asteroid to wipe out civilization, as has been mentioned before. What's even more terrifying is the fact that if a decent size stellar fragment, say from an exploding star, passes close gravitational forces would be enough to do us in. No impact necessary.

When the time comes, if we are not advanced enough to do something about it, we'll meet the same fate as the dinosaurs.

The only long term solution to this problem is to start setting up self sustaining civilizations on Mars or Venus pronto, and outside the solar system as soon as possible after that. That way in the face of such an event there is an evacuation point, and a group of humans that would survive.

Yep. Humanity will face an extinction event from an asteroid, if we live long enough. It actually doesn't take a very large asteroid to wipe out civilization, as has been mentioned before. What's even more terrifying is the fact that if a decent size stellar fragment, say from an exploding star, passes close gravitational forces would be enough to do us in. No impact necessary.

When the time comes, if we are not advanced enough to do something about it, we'll meet the same fate as the dinosaurs.

The only long term solution to this problem is to start setting up self sustaining civilizations on Mars or Venus pronto, and outside the solar system as soon as possible after that. That way in the face of such an event there is an evacuation point, and a group of humans that would survive.

We are as a species ignorant assholes. We will waste our resources making things out of plastic and ourselves more attractive. We are vein and that will be our epitaph.

discovered in january they claim this thing will come within 18,000 miles from earth impact. That is a little too close people.

discovery of pha k09b81d 2009 bd81

i was watching the launch today and this science guy just comes on and blurts out that we could use this new rocket to save the earth from the astroid impact....wtf????

i'll make sure i'm deep underground on february 27th 2009.

wtf?

From the link:

2009 BD81 will make its closest approach to Earth on this opposition on February 27th 2009.

...currently has a potential of 10 impact risks over the next 100 years beginning in the year 2042-03-04.58. On that date, it is calculated that 2009 BD81 will pass about 5.5 earth radii from earth. At the time of writing the chances of an impact are extremely low at 1 in 2,439,000.

Forum List

Back